Wednesday 6 February 2008

What a difference a day makes



Sometimes I feel like it rains so much here in the winter that I am going to turn into a duck and start to develop webbed feet! These past few weeks have been full of rain, rain and what else but more rain! But that is winter over here.




Everything is looking decidely muddy and grey. The ground squelches beneath your feet when you dare to go for a walk through the orchard and I am very glad for my Wellies, something which I never needed before, in my life back in Canada, but of which I am making very good use of now! I have bright blue Croc wellies, and I just love them! Perhaps, I do look a bit like a duck walking through the orchard wearing them, but at least I am a comfortable and dry duck! (I am thinking now that it's a good thing I didn't go for the yellow ones!)



Yesterday was very dark and rainy, and then . . . all of a sudden the sun broke through the clouds in mid-afternoon. I was standing at the kitchen sink working and lost in thought. As I looked across the wall at the edge of the kitchen courtyard, I could see just over it, in the skyline, was a rainbow! I quickly dashed outside to have a closer look. It was a very fleeting rainbow . . . it moved across the sky in tune to the wind which appeared to be blowing it along with the clouds, and it was soon going, going, gone . . .




Today the sun shone beautifully all day. The sky, which had been dark and grey for most of the day, and indeed the whole week before, was a beautiful blue, with nary a cloud in sight. Even the air seemed warmer, putting an extra bounce in the step and a song in the heart.



As I walked home to the cottage on my afternoon break, I chanced to see some little snowdrops blooming at the edge of our soggy garden, their dainty little white heads dancing in the soft breeze that was blowing. They are hope to me, a promise that spring is just around the corner. Can the bluebells be very far behind? What a difference a day makes . . .

I don't like to eat meat all the time. Once or twice a week I like to cook us a Vegetarian option, and one of our favourites is this lovely Cauliflower Cheese Pie. With it's crunchy potato crust it is a real pleaser on all counts.



*Cauliflower Cheese Pie With Grated Potato Crust*
Serves 6

This delicious vegetarian entree is very easy to put together and uses things that most people have in their larder and fridges. The grated potato crust is fabulous and I can imagine using it for all sorts of entrees. If you love cauliflower cheese, this pie is for you!


CRUST:
2 cups packed grated raw potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated onion
FILLING:
1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese, packed
1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 garlic clove, Peeled and crushed
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves, rubbed between your fingers
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
freshly ground black pepper to taste
paprika to dust on top

Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Oil a 9 inch pie tin and set aside.

Set the freshly grated potato in a colander over a bowl. Salt it and leave for 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out the excess water. Beat in the egg, salt and grated onion.

Pat into the prepared pie tin, building up the sides of the crust with lightly floured fingers. Bake in the heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until browned. After the first 30 minutes, brush with some more oil to help it get really crisp.


Meanwhile saute the onions and garlic in the butter until soft without browning, for about 5 minutes. Add the herbs and cauliflower and cook, covered, 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and the pepper.

Spread half the cheese into the baked crust. Top with the sauted vegetables, then the rest of the cheese. Beat together the egg and milk and carefully pour over. Dust with paprika.

Lower the oven temperature to 180*C/375*F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes longer, until custard is set and is pie is nicely browned.

Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before cutting into slices to serve. I like to serve this with a leafy tossed salad.

Doesn't it look good??? You can be sure it's totally delicious!!! Would I lie to you?



PS - Have you noticed the new feature I have added over in the right hand column, called "Make Me Bake" ?? Each week I will post a new list of delicious baked goodies and you, my readers, will have the option of voting for whichever one you would like for me to bake and then share with you here at Oak Cottage. I can't wait to see what you all pick first! Will it be the Portugese Custard Tarts, or the Buttermilk Birthday Cupcakes???? Who knows!

20 comments:

  1. My husband will LOVE this recipe. Potatoes, cheese, cauliflower... you've just made his world a little better!

    Michele H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, does this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Marie, that looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish looks so incredible with its crispy potato crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fab Marie. I love cauliflower cheese and you put it in a pie, well, just delicious.
    We're eating a lot less meat. We've not had any red meat in nearly 3 weeks. I do think it must be healthier, but who knows we're given so much information overload.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally making this dish. It looks absolutely amazing! I love that "make me bake" section, I voted! Can you guess what I voted for? ha ha ha. I look forward to seeing what you will make for us readers to salivate over!

    I too have been quite sick of the rain, and have made good use of my wellies that I never had to use before I moved here! I loved the sunshine we had today and yesterday though...wasn't that just great?

    Well I won't see you this week...but maybe next! Hopefully!
    Say Hi to Todd and Jess for me! Lots of Love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! I don't know how you deal with all that rain. Here in the Pond, Texas, I get depressed after a week of rain! I couldn't imagine an entire season of it.

    The pie looks magnificent. My husband will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Marie,
    I live in the Great Lakes region of Ohio and we haven't seen the sun for over a week! It's been raining every day! Love your blog and thanks so much for sharing you life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie! 'Just checking in on you. Great blog! always interesting. That califlower casserole looks awesome! YOu should have your own tv show!
    hows your doll coming? Cant wait to see them all!
    hugs
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Make me Bake section. It may come in handy soon. I am putting together the next programme for our cookery club, it's title will be "good old fashioned homebaking" I might have to raid your recipes...it wouldn't be the first time we have used one of Marie's reciepes. I told the kids it was my friends recipe, the one who was on the telly!!! Oh I'm such a name dropper!!! Love your blog as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe I haven't thought of this before...! Love cauliflower cheese, love pies... Thanks for joining up the dots for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie, that looks so good and very comforting! I'm a little fed up with all the grey skies by now, too. Can't wait for spring to kick in properly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That could get me in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and loved this recipe so much I put it up on my blog and linked to you. Thanks so much for posting it and I look forward to visiting often!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG you do not know how good this sounds and looks!! A potato crust?? Cauliflower pie?? Cheese? Perfect! I must make this. Maybe tomorrow. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my boyfriend saw this picture over my shoulder he said it looked so tasty, that now i have to make it.
    Fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was out basking in that sunshine as much as possible this weekend. We're also trying to up our vegetarian to meat dinner ratios, and this makes a very good veggie option. thanks1

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...and I'm so jealous about the snowdrops!

    We're in the middle of yet another blizzard here....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!