Sunday 8 June 2008

Kit Kats, Humility, Awards and Yorkshire puddings . . .



I want to relate to you this interesting little story I heard the other day about this lady that worked in a high rise building in the centre of London. Each day for her elevenses, she went downstairs to the first floor cafeteria to the vending machines and purchased the exact same thing . . . it never varied . . . . a "Kit Kat" chocolate bar and a cup of coffee.

On this one particular day she decided to sit down at a small table in the area and enjoy her purchases. She leaned over to search for something in her purse and as she did a gentleman sat himself down and across from her at the same table. He sat there with a coffee and a doughnut and he appeared to be chewing on her "Kit Kat" bar. With no word of apology or explanation, he ate the whole thing while she watched.

She was gobsmacked, to say the least, quite surprised and not a little irritated, but she decided to say nothing. She sat there trying to drink her coffee as quickly as she could, but the more that she thought about what had just happened, the angrier she became. Finally she just couldn't take it anymore and, as she stood up to leave, she reached over and grabbed the remnant of his doughnut and stuffed it into her mouth. "There!" she mumbled through the crumbs . . . "How does that feel??" Sticking her haughty nose in the air she stomped off and back upstairs to her office, where she again opened her purse. Much to her horror, sitting there on top was . . . you guessed it . . . her "Kit Kat" bar!



You can well imagine how she must have felt. How humiliating and how horrible. She had grossly misjudged the poor man and come off looking like a real prat! I'm afraid we've all been guilty of that on one occasion or another . . . misjudging others and acting on it, then looking the prat . . . how much better it would be to just graciously keep your mouth shut and just let things be, even if you do think you have been wronged. Nine times out of ten, you will find, in the end, that you haven't been wronged at all. I have always felt it is better to give the other person the benefit of the doubt, at least that's what works for me!



My friend Maddy from Maddy's Glass House saw fit to give out a Lets Give Thanks award to all her readers the other day. This is a special award designed and begun by Maddy as a way to promote thankfulness. What a wonderful idea Maddy! The idea is that you give thanks on your blog for one or two wonderful things in your life, with or without photos, remember they can be as big or as small as you like. You then pass the award on to three people via email or a comment on their blog.

I have so much to be thankful for that it's hard to only pick a few things, but I'll try. I am so blessed to be living in the country that I live in and the life that I am living . . .

I am ever thankful for all the blessings in my life. I go to bed each night in a comfy, warm bed, next to someone who loves me and cares about me. I have a cosy little home, that, while it may not belong to me, it gives me shelter and comfort and a place to hang my hat and heart, for home is truly where you hang your heart. I do not know what it is like to be hungry, truly hungry. I have a larder full of good things to eat as well as a refrigerator and freezer. Compared to some 90% of the world, I am wealthy. I may not have the most expensive clothing to wear, but I have a choice each day of what I want to put on my body and what I want to wear on my feet. Most of the world do not have that choice . . . I am healthy, I am strong, I am loved and safe and warm, I live a very blessed and abundant life . . .

Now, I am going to do a Maddy and pass this award on to any of you who wish to take it. It's now yours to do with as you wish. Post about it on your own blogs, take a moment to reflect on all the goodness that life has passed your way in whatever way . . . large or small. Take a moment to feel blessed . . .

I rarely have a chance on Sunday's to cook a Sunday Roast dinner, which is a big thing over here. The British surely love their Sunday Roasts! Quite often though I will cook a big meal on Saturday night when I do have the time and then we will just have the leftovers on Sunday after we get home from church. Because Todd is on the Bishopric that can mean that we don't get home until quite late in the afternoon some weeks, so leftovers are always welcome and the quicker I can get them onto the table the better. Yesterday I decided to go all out and I cooked Todd a lovely Roast Beef dinner, complete with roasted potatoes, vegetables and these delicious little babies . . . "Yorkshire puddings!" What is a roast dinner without some of these . . . nothing I say . . . nothing! These are wonderful and so very easy to make! Light and fluffy and crispy little bits of batter waiting on your plate to be filled with a lovely delicious pool of gravy . . . yummy!




*Killer Yorkshire Puddings*
Makes 12

I wonder who it was that discovered that with just a little flour, milk and eggs you could create something that was so crispy, light and delicious??? Sunday lunch just wouldn’t be Sunday lunch without a couple of these on the plate. This was my late Father-in law’s recipe and it’s the best! I’ve tried others . . . but always return to these. They turn out perfect . . . every time!! He was a cook in the Canadian Military and as you know all armies march on their stomachs, so you just know this has to be good!


2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups milk, at room temperature
1 cup plain flour
A little oil or dripping

Beat your eggs together in a large measuring cup until very light. Stir in the milk. Sift the flour into a bowl along with the salt. Make a well in the middle and pour the liquid into this and then whisk it in, slowly incorporating the dry mixture from the sides until you have a smooth batter.

Now this is the important step….cover it and let it sit on the sideboard for one hour.

Pre-heat your oven to 230*C/450*F. Place a small amount of oil or dripping into each cup of a 12 cup muffin tin. Place it into the hot oven until the fat is hot and sizzling. Remove from the oven and quickly divide the batter amongst each muffin cup filling each about 2/3 full. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and crispy, reducing the oven temperature by 10 degrees every five minutes. Serve hot with plenty of gravy!

*NOTE: I Like to place the muffin tin on a large baking tray as the fat quite often will overflow the pan and this helps to prevent a huge mess in the oven and a lot of agro!



PS - I picked a winner from all the comments that were left last week in my art giveaway and Gloria from Chili, you were the winner!!! Let me know which prints you want and send me your address and I'll pop them into the mail this week! I'm so excited, just think . . . some of my art will be residing in Chili! Pinch me for I must be dreaming!



I did a little painting yesterday afternoon while the roast was in the oven. This was a piece that I'd had mulling over in my mind for a number of days. I call it "Sometimes In The Rain," and like the others, prints are available in my Etsy Shop.

16 comments:

  1. I needed this post. I was really down yesterday. I don't know why but I was in tears much of the day. It is close to the first anniversary of my retirement and I was feeling sentimental and like my life's work was a disappointment.

    I need to count my blessing WHICH ARE MANY. Thanks for the reminder.

    Also, I've never had Yorkshire pudding. They look yummy. I will try them and think of my blog friend, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Yorkshires!
    Congrats to Gloria - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, I just love yorkshire puddings, your right in saying that the english love roast dinners especially ones with yorkshire puds like the ones you made they look just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy KitKat story, very funny! Congrats on your award--well done, and very well deserved, my friend! Your mini Yorkshires look terrific. I've been wanting to try some in muffin tins. Your latest illustrations is sooo cheery--love it! Hope we get to chat this evening--have missed you this week! Oh, I just love the Annie Bell cookbook...thanks again ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the words you use...elevenses, prat etc. Just like my bloke. They make me smile. My MIL taught me the English version of a roast dinner when she last visited and I'm so thankful. It was delicious. But I learned how to make yorkshire puddings on my own and with the blokes eyes because I never saw one before..haha. We really are due for a traditional English Sunday dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's pretty much the classic recipe, except you should quickly rebeat the batter just before putting it in the tins - trust me it makes a big difference. And in these parts they're called yorkshire pudding tins not muffin tins

    ReplyDelete
  7. The painting is so cute! I love it. And the Yorkshire puddings look delicious. I know how the poor woman in the story felt. I'm really bad about judging people without knowing the whole story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Marie, Im absolutely surprise
    with your lovely GIFT I love all you makes!!! What can i say?? Thanks!!! is so little! Blessings you a lot of blessings!!! You are such special person that really sunshine my life with words and music and ...Recipes of course!!I remember the first time when I come here!! I was so blue!! (I s difficult live with faith you know)
    and you really sunshine my life!!
    I love the painting you made with the rain!! Later we will talk , a big hug Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post....I loved the Kit Kat story. Congrats on your award and thank you for sharing what you are thankful for...
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, I love a roast dinner with yorkshire puds...and lots of lovely gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie
    We used to have a prime rib roast every Sunday when I was a kid and when I saw your pictures of the Yorkshire pudding it brought back memories of my Aunt Mollie's. SHe waas from England and she made it just like that in the muffin tins. I haven't had that for years. Hy husband bought a nice roast yeasterday so I think that I'll make it when we have the roast. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory for me.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the kit kat story and the yorkshire pudding, but I loved the counting of blessings even more! When upon life's billows....

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't even know how much I LOVE Yorkshire pudding...and I wish I could reach through the screen and grab one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful post Marie! We have so many things to be thankful for, so many blessings! I am re-thinking some things in my life right now and boy, does that feel good! Congrats to Gloria! Those puds look lovely and I adore your painting. You are soooooo talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely Yorkshires! I remember being 'taught' these in cookery class at school. Once all the mix was nice and smooth we had to gently beat it a few minutes, lifting it nice and high. "And I don't want to hear ther sound of the spoon on the basin," would go teacher, "only the mixture."
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah...I was quite the prat yesterday. I started yelling at a guy in his car for not turning fast enough and when he finally did turn I saw he was waiting to see of some kids were gonna cross the street! Yeah...I felt like such an @ss!!

    Hubby makes us yorkie puddings at Xmas and he makes them in muffin cups as well (you get more crispy bits that way!!). It is one of our fav holiday traditions.
    XX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!