Sunday 22 June 2008

Legends, Blue Eyes, and a Darned Good Tealoaf



I have always loved Morning Glories. With beautiful blue flowers that open in the morning, turning their pretty blue heads towards the sun, they climb and adorn almost anything you plant them near. I have always found it so mysterious that they close their faces in the late afternoon and seemingly go to sleep until the following morning. There is a beautiful legend attached to them that I would love to share with you this morning.

There once was a beautiful Princess who loved to sit amongst the flowers in her garden. She was very delicate herself, however, and so she always had to return to the palace before the day became overly hot, and so she never saw certain varieties of her garden flowers which didn't open until the sun shone on them.



This made her incredibly sad, for as you know Princess's have very delicate hearts and feelings, and one day as she returned to the palace, she began to cry. Her tears fell to the ground as she walked and each one that touched the earth, magically turned into a small seed.

A few weeks later, as the Princess walked in her garden early one morning, she was very surprised to see a beautiful new flower growing and climbing over the garden wall, twining it's lovely tendrils around the trees and cascading over the archways. Her heart was filled to overflowing with joy and ever since that time the name of Morning Glory has been given to these lovely flowers which sprang from the tears of a Princess's pretty blue eyes, and yet gave her much joy in the morning . . .



Lovely legend isn't it? I like to think it's true, but then again, I also believe in fairies . . .

The day turned to sun for a time yesterday afternoon and I was busy out in the garden snapping some shots of the flowers that are now blooming there. At one point I was laying on the bench of our picnic table and looking up with my camera. I caught a glimpse of Todd looking down at me and laughing at my ministrations. He thinks I'm so funny, the things I get up to. We bring each other much joy . . . he's my morning glory, except that he blooms all day! (He has pretty blue eyes too! We do have a giggle together!)



We had a lovely picnic at the park, although it had clouded over again by then. Todd and the little fella next door went for a paddle around the lake in a canoe, although afterwards Todd was wishing he had taken a paddle boat, as his pant legs had gotten all wet from the water dripping down the handle of the paddle! Lesson learned! It was just wonderful sitting under the trees and being with friends and watching the young ones play frisbee and kicking a ball around. There was lots of chatter and lots of food and to end it all . . . lovely bowls of strawberries and cream. I'm glad it didn't rain, as it was really nice to get away from home for a bit and visit with friends. I really enjoyed watching Todd paddle around the lake with the wee one from next door, it only confirms my thoughts about what a good father he would have been and makes me love him even more, as if that was possible! We both fell into bed exhausted last night. It's amazing what a little bit of fresh air and exercise will do!

I am really on top of things this week, for I managed to bake my Make Me Bake Challenge yesterday! Not surprisingly, the Sticky Marmalade Tea Loaf won this week. It's lovely and spicy and full of lovely pecan nuts. I have put a new one up for the coming week now, Cupcakes!



*Sticky Marmalade Tea Loaf*
Makes 1 2-lb loaf (serves approx. 12)

I like to use extra chunky marmalade in this delicious tea bread. It helps to give extra texture to the baked loaf and prettifies the top! Yorkshire Tea company does make a lovely marmalade loaf of their own, which is quite good, but you just can't beat homemade! It's always infinitely better! (Besides my own is twice the size and half the price, not to mention just that bit tastier!)

5 ounces of marmalade (reserve 1 TBS for later)
6 ounces of butter, softened
6 ounces light soft brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
8 ounces self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
100g pecan halves, divided

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. LIghtly butter a 2 pound loaf tin and then line it with greaseproof paper. Set aside, along with 1 TBS of the marmalade (in a small sauce pan.)

Put the butter, remaining marmalade, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Blend with an electric beater for two minutes or so until smooth and light. Stir in 2/3 of the pecan nuts.

Tip the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining pecan nuts over top evenly. Bake in the heated oven for about 1 - 1 1/4 hours until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly touched. (If it is browning too much you can cover it with foil after 45 minutes) Once cooked remove it from the tin and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.

Gently heat the reserved marmalade and then brush it evenly over top of the warm loaf. Allow to cool and serve cut into slices. (I like a bit of butter on mine, but then again, I would!)

16 comments:

  1. lovely flower and gorgeous tealoaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that the rain stopped and you got to go to the park for your picnic. (Of course I'm sure the picnic on your kitchen floor would have been nice too.)

    Your Todd looks so sweet. No wonder you love him so much. He is lucky to have you too.

    Have a great Sunday. I must go nighty night so I wont fall asleep in Sac. meeting tomorrow.

    Love as always, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I accidentally deleted my last post and lost your lovely comment. I am sorry.

    I couldn't believe I did that. I rewote the whole thing but I took out Shirley's story and substituted one of mine that I think you will enjoy.. Sorry I lost you wonderful comment. SO DUMB of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice post Marie. Glad to hear you had a lovley day.
    That is a lovely Tealoaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your picnic in the park went well. Me, I would have been secretly wishing for the kitchen floor version! The day never turned to sunshine up here - you can count on that on the Longest Day - but it's nice today, if windy and cold. Maybe I should just get out the marmalade and make a cake. We haven't any orange so grapefruit will have to do.
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the morning glories legend! I've always liked the flower and wished we could grow them. It's so hot down here and we don't have the soil for it--it's this real thick, rocky clay about an inch down so we're lucky if anything survives. Poor Ben has been in fits trying to design a nice garden for us. I think he's going to have to resort to cactuses. Your picnic sounded wonderful! Tell Todd hello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet story... believe in fairies too! :o) Those morning glories are gorgeous! I hope to try some of those twining into one of our climbing roses next summer. Your picnic sounded a treat. So glad you've been having such a lovely weekend. And that tealoaf...mmm! Looking forward to chatting with you later this evening. Happy Summer Days, my dear friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will have to try some of these lovely flowers next summer have never grown them before. Love the legend. Love Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the legend...really love the photos...really, really love the tea loaf...and really, really, really love having you as a bloggy friend.

    Just click my name-hyperlink on this comment.

    Thank you.

    And waving to Todd up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely legend! I had never heard that before, thank you for sharing. I have always loved morning glories. Lovely looking tea loaf, will have to try that sometime. I am with Angie, I love kitchen floor picnics, too. My son and I used to have regular campouts when he was little. We would toast marshmallows in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beverly from Ohio23 June 2008 at 00:38

    This looks absolutely delicious!! Could you convert it to American measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your husband looks exactly how I imagine a member of a bishopric to look. Which is funny to me, because Jason was a bishop's counselor just after we married.

    The flowers look so beautiful. I love blues. Will Morning Glories grow in Leeds?

    Oh, Jason is flying home from the UK early tomorrow morning -- we now have an offer in on a house to rent. It has a blue door! (I feel so English.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's a lovey legend marie! i'm so glad you were able to get out and have your picnic and that the weather cooperated for you. what a grand tea bread, you can see how moist it is!! it looks wonderful!! i was wondering too if you could convert the measurements? thank you marie for another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Marie,
    I will be away for a couple of days. If I can't get to a computer to visit you have a great couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey..great to see a picutre of Todd in your post - 'Tod Cam'...we were only wondering the other day, what happened to the idea of 'Daily Todd!"
    We make up little stories for him to act out each day...it keeps us happy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is obvious how much joy you and Todd bring each other!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!