Tuesday 1 July 2008

Scon? or Scown? Why Quibble . . . Just eat!



In 1864 the manageress of a bakery had the inspired idea of opening a room at the back of her store as a public tea-room. This proved so successful that several other companies began to do the same, resulting in 'tea shops' opening all over London and other main towns. These popular establishments drew customers of all ages and classes. They served a variety of hot and cold, sweet and savoury foods, alongside cups and pots of tea.



One of the most popular destinations for a traveller in the UK today, is to go have a "Cream Tea" in one of the many tea rooms that dot the landscape in most villages and towns over here. There you will be served a nice pot of hot tea along with a plate of scones, still warm from the oven, along with a bowl of strawberry preserves and a nice pot of clotted cream. This combination is heaven on earth to be sure, and if you are really lucky you will be served by a girl dressed in the the lovely Victorian or Edwardian tradition complete with black dress, white pinny and white starched lace cap!



Welcome to this week's Tuesday's With Dorie, the weekly baking group of "Baking-ista's" that get their "bake-on" by baking together one recipe a week from Dorie Greenspan's lovely book, Baking, from my home to yours. This week Karina of The Floured Apron has chosen…
Apple Cheddar Scones which can be found on page 32 of the book. You can also get the recipe by checking out Karina's page. (Right now you can get your own copy of the book on Amazon for as little as $5.99, a worthy investment I can assure you!)



I was really excited when I read the choice for this week. Thanks so much Karina for choosing this! If there's one thing that Todd loves, it's a good scone!!! (How do YOU pronounce that word anyways? Is it Scon or Scown???)

Once I had read the recipe though I knew I would have a problem right off the bat. I have had a really hard time finding dried apple over here in England. It's not entirely impossible if one searches hard enough, but with a work week that in this past week was overloaded with activity I knew that I would not have a lot of time to go out searching for much of anything. In fact, I would be lucky if I managed to get the challenge baked, which was another reason I was superdy duperdy glad it was not a complicated or lengthy challenge to bake!

I put my thinking cap on and came up with what was, in my opinion, a very deliciously suitable substitution for the apple. I decided to use a dried tropical fruit mixture which contains lovely dried pieces of mango, papaya, melon and pineapple. Ohh, this idea really got my taste buds tingling and my brain racing for I decided to also add some chopped macadamia nuts to the mix as well as use pineapple juice instead of the apple. I couldn't think of a cheese that would go really well and so thought about leaving cheese out altogether. After reading the recipe I realized that the cheese was only folded into the batter at the end before baking so that leaving it out would not alter the batter any at all and so that's what I did . . . I left out the cheese.

This scone batter turned out really wet. There was no discernible way that I could see myself happily patting it out and then cutting it into anything so I opted to make drop scones. I was also a little worried about them sticking and so I buttered my baking sheet and then lightly floured it before dropping the batter on in huge spoonful's.



Wow, they came out of the oven looking beautiful . . . nicely puffed little mounds of what looked to be deliciously crumbly and tasty scones!! I split one open and inside were lovely bits of the dried fruit sparkling up at me like little coloured jewels of tastiness.



Lightly buttered, this was a true taste delight to me. They had a lovely texture, with just a hint of crunch from the cornmeal. Each mouthful was bursting with the lovely flavours of tropical fruit and deliciously crunchy macadamia nuts!

Todd had his split, buttered and spread with some tasty orange marmalade and he really enjoyed it to be sure!



All in all this was a lovely recipe that I found to be very easy to adapt to other flavours and combinations. I think I will try it again sometime with perhaps some lovely dried pear and a bit of Stilton, and yes . . . chopped walnuts would be the perfect addition in that combination as well! (A totally English combination!)

Make sure you hop on over to the blog roll and check out everyone else's version of this week's recipe. Tell them I sent you! In the meantime I am off to heat one up for my breakfast . . . after all I reckon Scones are not just for tea time . . . breakfast is the perfect time to eat one . . . as is elevenses . . . oh and don't forget that afternoon coffee break! Next week, Amy of South in Your Mouth has selected . . . Double Crusted Blueberry Pie on pages 361-363 . . . mmmmm . . . I love blueberries and I love pie, what a tasty recipe to look forward to!

(PS-I have a dinner party to cook for tonight so I am not sure how many of your pages I will be able to get to today, but rest assured I will try to visit as many of them that I can in the coming week. There's a ton of us now, so that in and of itself presents quite a challenge!)

34 comments:

  1. Those scones look HEAVENLY....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning BE I at school I pronounce it scon ;-), yours look great

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call'em scons here, but whatevr you call it it really is just plain ole'yumyum! That picture with the melted butter relly floats my boat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty! Here in Texas we can them biscuits. If we act a little cultured, we call them Scoooonnneeeeeesssss (it drawls out for like an hour.)

    Thanks for the help with voting! :)
    When do you go on your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scon or scown, they look scrumptious - great use of tropical fruit and macadamia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice idea of the fruit combination. I will try that next time as it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo...Marie you are reading my mind today with this! I've been daydreaming about savory biscuits/scones for a couple of days! Cheddar and ham to be exact! I think that I'm going to see if I can get them made this week....

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look absolutely gorgeous, I just LOVE your idea of using tropical dried fruit! Yum x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tropical scones - brilliant! I pronounce it skown, but I'm American, what do I know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those scones look delicious! I substituted pineapple juice in my scones but left the apple in. But the tropical scones sound so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mixed fruits!! And the photo with the butter made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one with the marmalade looks terrific. They are so beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love scones Marie!!! so nice Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie, just this morning I made some apple cheddar scones. I use fresh apple, don't bother with dried. My picky DS loves these! I used the recipe on Zaar for apple-cheddar scones, it is the same one I have been using for quite a while from Taste of Home. The dough is rather sticky, but it makes great drop scones - we like it with just a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar on top before baking! Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marie:
    The split scones with butter look close enough for me to take a bite out of. They look delicious and what a great idea to do tropical fruits and macadamia nuts. You know in Utah, a "scone" is a fried piece of dough served with honey or powdered sugar. They're yummy too, but not exactly the world view of a scone. I love the Victorian dressed ladies. I think we all have these fantasies of going for an English tea. At least I do. I'm so hooked on Upstairs Downstairs so I have all of these romanticized notions about Victorian England-tea and scones included!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that we Americans or at least CA. miss out. We don't have any lovely traditions like afternoon tea and scones. However, my little Claire and I do have royal herbal tea parties every time she visits. We dress up in our royal clothes and have tea and cookies. Sometimes grampy the king, and E.J. the prince also attend but usually they are off on other royal business and the tea party is left to the princess and I. Sometimes I'm the queen. Other times I'm the royal maid (determined by how dressed up I get for the occassion).

    Scones have not been a part of our royal tea parties but now that I have you as my royal chef advisor, I think they should be. I'm sure the princess would love to help me make them since she also doubles as the royal cook.

    Good luck with your busy day. I must be off to serve jury duty. I don't like doing it but it is my duty and I must be off. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sound absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw that dried fruit mix in the store but was too scared to use it! Glad to know it works well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look yummy with the marmalade! cracking up about that pic of the cream tea ladies ;) so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your scones look delicious. And I love the background info on the tea shops.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your scones look great! The fruit combination sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look delicious with the melting butter on them. They also puffed up really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the tropical scones. It must be great to be over there. Tried to take my daughter out for a tea party, but couldn't find anything here in GA/SC USA. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those scones look delicious, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look pretty much like a variation on our English Rock Buns, which are a sort of SCON mixtre but wetter. I love the savoury ideas you have for them/ I can smell them from here. Lovely/
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your scones look delicious! Love your choice of dried fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always know when I click on you site my mouth will end up watering for sure. What a wonderful treat. I know that my husband would want his split with butter and orange marmalaid as well. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad you liked my choice! Your scones look wonderful, and I can't wait to try some of your ideas for future variations. The pear combo sounds particularly promising!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh dear - another page to save and another recipe to try!
    Just wanted to pop over to say 'Happy Canada Day', although I know that it is now Wednesday over where you are. I hope it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed the post. Really interesting! Beautiful scones. Hope all went well with the dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the scones with the butter and the jam! I want one of each please! hehe...Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loving the scones! Did the recipe get left out on purpose?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!