Friday 5 September 2008

By the dawn's early light . . .



"If you awake and see the
sunrise
bathing earth in red
and gold,
As you gaze you’ll
somehow find
it fills one with
anticipation
to start the day with
such a sight.
God is so very good to
give
a fresh new day,
gift wrapped so bright."

~author unknown

I’ve always been a morning person. That is the time of day when I am at my quickest witted and my brain seems to be firing on all of it’s pistons. As soon as I open my eyes in the morning, I want to get out of bed. I might lay there for a few minutes, while the sleep clears from my eyes, but I just cannot make myself lay there for any longer than that. I have to get up. There is so much awaiting me, so many things I want to do, a beautiful day pending . . . and I am full of expectation at all the things it might bring to me.



To be able watch the sun rising has to be one of the most beautiful gifts given to us on this planet. There is something almost surreal about it, and oddly enough it seems different each time you witness one and also feels different according to where you are when you are seeing it and your frame of mind at the time. I sometimes find myself coming home from work, for various reasons, very early in the morning, just as the sun is rising. It's always so breathtakingly beautiful to get to see a sunrise right from it's inception. I walk down the pathway, where all has been silent just a few moments before, and it starts . . . just a few twitters at first, and maybe the song thrush begins to echo it’s beautiful melody through the trees, the sky gradually becoming lighter and lighter. The last minute skittering of small animals and foxes as they hurry back to their dens and woodland homes, the tell tale rustling of the dry grass and leaves at the edge of the hedgerows, the only sign of their departure. I often end up in the back garden sitting at the picnic table as I watch it progress until all is laying awake and in the morning light around me.



Some sunrises are more special and meaningful than others. An Easter morning sunrise for instance, is always tinged with hope and glory. I’m not sure if it’s that way with a non religious person or not, but for me, it always holds an air of expectation that is not present any other day of the year. There is a really special feeling that accompanies watching the sun come up over the horizon on that day that is like no other. It’s as if all the world has been waiting for this one moment and now it’s here, there is an air of celebration and joy that you can almost cut with a knife, it’s so tangible. You want to hug yourself with joy, but you let the earth and the rising sun hug you instead. It just feels good to be alive.

When my children were small, I always had to be up and about quite early in the morning. Those were special times . . . times that now, when my hands and hours are all too often empty of the joys that being a parent brought to me, I look back on with a great fondness and love. I have watched many a sunrise holding a child in my arms that has been ill through the night, the daylight bringing with it the promise of a better day and relief that we have gotten, at the very least, through one more night. There is a wonderful feeling of satisfaction that comes from holding this greatest treasure, your child, in your arms and feeling the cool damp brow, that once was fevered, underneath the palm of your watchful hand as the sun peeks over the horizon and bathes you both in it’s golden hue.



I've also watched the sun rise while I lay on the sofa and worried about a child or a husband who has managed to stay out overnight without letting you know ahead of time that they would be doing so! Such can be the life of a caring wife and mother at times. Those were sunrises I could have done without. Thankfully now, my Todd’s partying days are long over, if indeed he ever had them, and the mantle of worrying about children in that particular way, has now been passed on to the next generation!

I hope that I will always be able to look at the sun rising over the horizon, and feel the warmth of it’s first rays of the day, with the same expectation and feelings of joy that I do now. I look at it as a gift from above and a gift that I give myself each and every day of my life. I just love presents, and unwrapping this one comes with a buzz that cannot be matched by anything else on earth. Funny how, when you find a treasure such as this, it just begs to be shared . . .




There's a little something going on over in the pond later today, which has something to do with this little lady. Hop on over a bit later on to see what is happening! I guarantee you'll be delighted if you do!

Sometimes you feel lazy and it's all you can do to gather together a few bits and pieces to make a meal. This is a lovely vegetarian tart that you can pull together out of seemingly nothing but all the little things left hanging in your crisper drawer and refrigerator at the end of the week when you need to go shopping really . . . but can't be asked just yet to do so . . .



*Rustic Tomato Tarts*
Serves 4

You can make this as one big one, or as four smaller ones. Either way it’s delicious! It’s very easy and quick to put together too, which is always an added bonus!

1 package of short crust pastry (or make your own if you are so inclined)
1 (145g) tub of fresh pesto from the refrigerator aisle of the grocery store
( you can use sun dried tomato pesto or basil, either one is nice.
Fresh homemade from scratch is really lovely as well. Just don’t use those insipid jars of stuff from the regular supermarket shelves. They taste awful and really aren’t worth the money you pay for them. Fresh is infinitely better. There is just no comparison)
8 ounces of gruyere cheese, freshly grated
6 medium sized, ripe tomatoes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A few basil leaves

Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper and set them aside.

Divide your pastry into four equal pieces and roll each out into an even circle, no more than ¼ of an inch thick. Place each round at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.

Divide and spread the pesto to within 1 ½ inch of the edge of each pastry round. Sprinkle with ½ of the grated gruyere cheese, dividing it equally amongst the four rounds.

Slice the tomatoes in half with a sharp knife and then cut each half into four wedges. Place the wedges in a decorative manner over top of the gruyere and the pesto in the centre of the tarts. Bring up the edges of the pastry to cover just the edges of the tomatoes, without covering them over completely. Dust with salt and pepper and sprinkle the remaining gruyere cheese over top of all. Tear up a few basil leaves and scatter them over top.

Bake in the pre-heated oven until the pastry is crisp and golden and the tomatoes are just starting to tinge with colour. Remove from the oven and serve. You may dust the tops with a bit of Parmesan cheese before serving if desired.

These go lovely with a salad of rocket leaves and spinach dressed with a light vinaigrette.

22 comments:

  1. I love those tarts Marie!
    Could you send one over here please?!! I feel I could eat that for my breakfast this morning it looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie I too am an early morning person too.I am the same got to be up as soon as my peepers open LOL!! Maybe thats why one of my favourite hymes is "Morning has broken" Well looking at your Rustic Tarts(Love the name) I do believe I could even eat one of those for early morning breakfast they look so good Heeee!!Sorry I couldn't get by yesterday I was so busy out for the day looking for fancy dress gear .More on that later. Have a lovely Friday.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.ao.oc.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! A new way to use my tomatoes that runneth over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always believed that the birds sang up the sun. (I'll have to write that down someday..haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummo! This reminds me of my pie you commented on - we must be on the same wavelength this week lol!

    And as much as I try (or am forced by my kids) I am not, and never will be, a morning person lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie I love early morning too!! (and my Mom the same) when she comes sometimes the weekend I wake up her and take breakfast together and talk is a lovely silence time!!and you have reason all sunrise are different, and in special at this moemnt I feel close of God I dont know why,is how we stay only He and me and I adored him.

    This rustic tart is lovely, I find too a lovely dough sometimes buy to make somes quiches, love really tasty!!! Have a nice weekend with Todd, huggs! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tart, and if that's what you make when you are lazy, then I pity my family.:) I love the mornings also. I'm a reformed night owl, though I love the night too. I just love to be up and busy before my family awakes so that I can be on top of the world and my own work.
    I wish I knew Miranda's exact birthdate but I don't. Can't wait to see Pickles in her true home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never used to be a morning person, but I am becoming one! Love the picture and the tart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie,

    While I'm not particularly a morning person ... there is something magical and renewing about watching a sunrise. I'm not a religious person, but consider myself spiritual and I find that the sunrise still gives a sense of hope and renewal. :) There's a certain peaceful serenity that overcomes me.

    Thank you for the nice comments on my blog! I was so excited to reach that milestone last week. :)

    Your Rustic Tomato Tarts look simply delish ... I think I will have to try those myself! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie~
    That was lovely! I am also a morning person. I've never been lucky enough to live anywhere with the east view unblocked by houses, trees or hills so when I do get to watch the sun rise I really enjoy it!
    The recipe sounds so wonderful, have to save that one for later!
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love visiting your blog. Excellent post and pictures. I too rise early. Thanks for the beauty!

    Your recipes are wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That rustic tart looks amazing. All of my favorite ingredients! It's going right on my list.

    I've gotten a blog award to pass to you. Check my blog :)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wish i was a morning person, but i just hate waking up! i'm glad some people are though. the world needs those people! :)

    that tart looks soooooo good. i want it now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might be more of a morning person if I didn't stay up so late at night waiting to read your new post!

    Until this year I've always had to get up early. As a youth I got up early to go to seminary and school, as a mom I got up early to nurse babies..gets kids off to school...then to seminary..etc. Then I started teaching and had to get up very early to get ready and drive to school and be ready for the 7:30 bell to ring.

    Many times I would watch the sunrise and appreciate it's beauty as you do.....but there were other times that did not appreciate it at all. The sun rays seemed to be right in my eyes and made driving on the freeway hard and dangerous.

    This year after retiring, I turned off our alarm. I let the birds wake me each morning. I get up after the sun is well up bathing us in warmth....so I usually miss the sun rise....however, I do love sunsets....especially now that I don't have to rush home to teach a college class or correct papers.

    So, I will read and soak in your wonderful visions of sunrise.... however, I will do it snuggled in my bed in my dreams if that is o.k. with you. After years of waking up at 5 or 6 (or earlier), 8:00 seems like the perfect time to great the day to me....that is when my bird alarm clock usually gets my attention. After waking I love to read a while....first the scriptures and then whatever book I'm working on..... ahh...retirement agrees with me.

    So dear Marie, enjoy the sunrise for both of us. Your outlook refreshes my soul.

    Luv Ya, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marie -- I loved your post about sunrises. There is just something about that time of day that is magical. I loved the recipe too! Just my type of thing -- easy, and the ingredients are something that you can dig out of the fridge. I am having a hard time, at this stage in my life, of finding enough time in the day to gt everything done. With all of the kids, carpooling, and everything so simple works great for me. In a few years once my kids have grown, I hope to get more creative with my cooking. I love to read your posts -- they give me so inspiration! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Marie -- I was just over at the Pond and saw your wonderful drawing. So cute! Miss Pickles looks just as I have imagined! You have such great talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These tarts are lovely Marie! I love tomatoes and will have to try this, I love you picture of Miss Pickles!! I wish I had you talents!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew there was something I was forgetting to do! Make a tomato tart! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love looking at the beautiful flowers you share here, and your descriptions of a place I'd love to be. Always so relaxing.

    The tomato tart is so cute, and perfect with all the tomatoes my friend keeps passing my way. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!