Wednesday 3 September 2008

I Am Thankful For





. . . the mess to clean after a party, because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

. . . the taxes I pay, because it means I am employed.

. . . the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.

. . . the lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing, because it means that I have a home.

. . . my shadow who watched me work, because it means I am out in the sunshine.

. . . the parking spot that I find at the far end of the road, because it means that I am capable of walking.

. . . all the complaining I hear about our government, because it means we are able to enjoy freedom of speech.

. . . my heating bill, because it means that I am warm.

. . . the lady in church who sits behind me and sings off key, because it means that I am alive.

. . . the piles of laundry and ironing, because it means my loved ones are nearby.

. . . weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means that I have been productive.

. . . your friendship and all the lovely comments you leave for me each and every day.

~author unknown, last bit added by myself



Late in the afternoon on this Sunday just gone past, Todd and I were lucky enough to receive a visit from our Home Teachers. For those of you who don't know, the home teaching program is a program instituted by our church whereby every family in the church has been assigned what are called Home Teachers. Two priesthood members who make it their duty to visit all the families on their assigned list each month at least once and who bring them a message of hope and spirituality and who see if the families need any help in any way, be it financial, spiritual or just a couple of extra pairs of hands to help with anything that might need doing around the house. A family can be a traditional family, with two parents and children, or a single parent family with just one parent and some children, or it can be a man and wife, or even a single person, male or female. Every situation is covered and taken care of, and as a person who was once single and is now married, I know how much and can attest to how much this program has blessed my life.

Anyways, these two men came to our home on Sunday afternoon. I know that it is a sacrifice for them to do so, and I was touched by their visit. One of them, works 15 and 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, to support his family. When he is not at work, he is watching his children so that his wife can go out to work and earn some money to support the family as well. It meant a lot to me, that he would take a few hours out of his one day off a week, to come and visit us. This time, he had his little boy with him, and as I watched these two righteous priesthood holders sit at our table and share a message of love and hope with us, I thought about that little boy sitting there and watching his father exercise his priesthood in a righteous and meaningful way, and about how very wonderful that was. I never saw my father pray. For that matter, I never saw my mother pray. I know that they do, but I have never seen or heard them. How wonderful that would have been when I was a child to have seen my parent's spirituality in action. What a powerful example that would have been . . . how very beautiful to witness.



There is an epidemic of knife crime in our country right now. Young men and women carrying knives for whatever reason, and there scarce a day goes by when there is not another story in the newspaper about some youth having been stabbed and killed. A lot of it occurs in large urban areas, and is gang related. When you read the stories, and you read about the families of a lot of these young people, they often mention their mother's and their sisters or brothers, maybe friends . . . but you rarely, if ever, hear a mention of a father . . .

In studies that have been done in the US, it has been noted that much of the strength of gangs comes from their ability to provide their individual members with the love and acceptance that used to be provided by families, but is sadly lacking today in a lot of homes. Quite tragically a lot of youth are being brought up by young single mothers on their own, in homes where their fathers are largely absent and missing, or have never been around at all. What a difference that would have made to their lives if they could have seen the positive example of a praying and righteous father in their home, or a father that was not afraid to show other's that he cared and was brave enough to show his sons and daughters that he was a man of God.

I looked at this little boy on Sunday afternoon watching his father and his friend, and I thought about how lucky he was to have their examples to follow . . . and I was very grateful that I was able to see it as well. It really did my heart good.



The hedgerows that surround our cottage are filled to over brimming right now with lovely blackberries . . . sweet and plump and ripe for the picking. I made this lovely dessert for Todd at the weekend on the one sunny day that we had. He really enjoyed it!





*Blackberry and Clotted Cream Shortcakes*

Makes 8

Imagine a crumbly, buttery shortcake biscuit stogged full of lovely rich clotted cream and sweet blackberries . . . this is a little bit of heaven on a sunny autumn day.

300g self rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
140g cold butter, cut into bits
100g sugar
75ml buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten

For the filling:
500g fresh blackberries
3 TBS sugar
275 pot of clotted cream
Icing Sugar for dusting over the tops

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper, or lightly grease it and dust with flour. Set aside.

Measure the flour into a bowl along with the baking powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk it all together and then tip in the cold butter. Working with the tips of your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.

Beat the egg and buttermilk together. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the wet. Gently work it all together with a fork until it forms a soft, sticky dough.

Tip it out onto a floured surface and knead the mixture a couple of times. (it will be quite sticky) Pat out, about an inch thick and then using a sharp cutter (3 inch round) dipped in flour cut out 8 rounds and place each one on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. (Alternately you can just shape the dough into one large round about 8 inches in diameter and place it onto the prepared baking sheet.)

Place into the heated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until nicely risen and golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack until needed.

To make the filling, lightly mash the blackberries together with the sugar. Split the shortcakes in two through the middle. Place the bottom halves onto dessert plates and spread with some clotted cream. Spoon some of the mashed berries over each and then top with the tops of the shortcakes. Dust with icing sugar and serve. (if you are using one large cake, do the same except with the whole cake on a larger serving plate. Cut into slices to serve.)

14 comments:

  1. Good morning Dear Marie,
    You are so right about the importance of children needing fathers in their lives. My father left us when I was 7. I had a great mom but I missed out on a lot not having a father. Once he left us, I didn't see him again until I was 16 when we had some brief contact. He died when I was 21. I cried at his funeral....not for him.... but for the father I never had.

    I am thankful that my children grew up with a father who loves them. John has a special place in the hearts of each of his children.

    I was always saddened by the large number of students I taught who were from single parent homes. Some said they wanted to have children but didn't want to put up with a man in their lives. So sad. They don't know what they are missing.

    Enjoy those berries. Ours are all gone now. I know that this is a hard day for you. I pray that you will be blessed with the strength and energy to get through this long day and night. Good luck, love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words very well put Marie.I so agree with you.Wow those look delicious.Sorry I didn't get around yesterday,I have been so worried about Son in Louisianna.Having read yesterdays post I know how much you love your peanut butter LOL!!Take Care God Bless Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie what a great post. I'm off to NY and will not be sure if I'll gain access to reading up on your writings. Wanted to say thank you for all your inspiration and thank you for being you. Talk at you when I get back or sooner if I figure out my new phone. Take care love to you and Happy Birthday to Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am thankful for my boys' father. not only is he here as an example for my children, but also for my nephews who have lost their fathers way too soon.

    thanks for reminding me of that. :)

    xo
    di

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie
    What a good message on the value of fathers. I heard someone refer to our society as a fatherless generation. It's very sad isn't it?
    Oh my goodness, that desert looks so good!! We are in the last week of a vegetable and fruit fast and I think I mught have to make that for our first dessert when we finish. You have THE MOST DELICIOUS food on your blog. If there was an award for that you'd get it and there would be no one to pass it on to.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now there was no need for that! There I was innocently reading your (as ever) excellent post when WHAM there was the pic of the biscuit complete with berries and cream. I could taste it. Truly I could. Your Todd is such a lucky bloke having all your bakes inflicted on him!

    I'm not a LDS but the idea of Home Teachers is one any denomination would do well to copy. A chhurch where I used to go had a team of Elders, which was meant to be a similar sort of idea. Every member of the congregation was assigned an Elder who was meant to visit regularly. In practice visits were infrequent, there was no follow-up and some people didn't even know they HAD an Elder! In practice it was old ladies visiting old ladies and the main theme was plain old gossip! Good idea but misguided in its application. The LDS seem to have got it right don't they?

    When I was a kid single parent families were few and far between and the only 'real' excuse for not having a dad was if your mum was a widow! It's a shame for today's kids that only having a mum has become the norm. I wouldn't want to sort out some of the family trees - nightmare!

    love to my friend from your friend, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look fabulous! We don't have clotted cream in Texas but I've heard a lot about it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good post, Marie! I had a wonderful father, but my son did not. Many times I feel that was my fault. Those shortcakes look divine! I am not really crazy about black berries, but this is one way I would snarf them up! Muc love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. i feel so blessed that i married someone that is an amazing father and a righteous example to not only my kids, but to me. so so blessed. great post and great thoughts today marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've missed you and your words of wisdom. Thanks for the difference you make in all of our lives.

    I agree with you 100%. I think a lot of the problems in the world today could be fixed in in the home. I sure have had it good with a wonderful father and husband.

    Have a good day and I will do the same. Ü

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post!! Many valid points you make...we live (usa) in a land of not only no dads much around, but the majority of those who are, seem to be weak dads too. I think when "the church" centuries ago divided off from doing things the "Jewish way" (actually ought to have just plain been called the "Biblical way"), it put into play a lot of things that even today have filtered down to us.

    I had the most marvelous mom, and her parents both who were the cream of the crop and taught me so much. I had a dad at home, in fact he still survives the others...but he was just too wounded to be anything but harsh, cruel and abusive. The best thing he did was take us to church (to this day I wish what he heard there had meant more to him...but some people just seem to only catch just a few things). I do not know if my life was better having him there...I will never know that answer. But I am grateful that I did have a great Grandpa!! My own husband has come a long ways (yea, he came from a dysfunctional family too)and in the last decade (after all but one child had left home) he has finally "gotten it". Our journey has taken us into the "Hebrew Roots" and that has made ALL the difference in our lives!!

    By the way, the list at the first of this blog entry was great...but one thing that has made so much difference in my life (and from other posts, I think yours too) has been that gorgeous creature called a dog. The word for Dog in Hebrew comes from the word "Heart"...SO appropriate. I am treasuring every single day we have with our dog...she is 14 and going downhill pretty quickly. That is the only thing I hate about dogs...they do not live that long. (How is it that an old parrot could outlive us and the cuddly creature at our feet lives such a short life??)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yesterday I didn't come Marie so I read this today, wonderful words, never I saw my Dad pray, I told you the other time he is agnostic (by some things he said) but Mom is a Star!! she always pray with us and we always speak abut God, we pray sometimes with the childs but more when were little, now specially Esperanza is pass by a difficult time with all!!!So in this time I only can pray by her.(is hard)
    Well this recipes is absolutely nice an yummy, really I love all berries!! xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont tell you but hubby is so christian and good man, so is a gift are married with a man with faith. xxx(OF course we faith a lot, but is the life) xGloria (I think your Todd is lovely too)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good! We love clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!