Wednesday 17 September 2008

True Beauty



A very prestigious beauty company was holding a contest. In order to enter the contestants had to send in a picture, along with a brief synopsis about the most beautiful woman they knew. The contest went on for a few weeks and during that time they received literally thousands upon thousands of letters and photos.

One letter in particular caught someones eye and before you could say "Jack Robin", it had been pass onwards and upwards until it was sitting on the desk in front of the company president. The letter had been written by a young man from a broken home, living in a very poor area of town. The company president sat at his desk and read . . .



"A beautiful woman lives down the street from me. I visit her every day. She makes me feel like the most important person in the world. We play games together and she listens to what I have to say, and to my problems and tries to help me. She understands me, and when I go to leave her house, as I'm walking down the pathway, she always yells out the door to me that she's proud of me."

The letter ended with the boy writing, "This picture shows you she is the most beautiful woman. I hope that one day I will have a wife as pretty as she is."

The president was greatly intrigued, and so he asked to see the picture that had accompanied this letter. His secretary handed him a photograph of an old woman, smiling . . . toothless . . . sitting in a wheel chair. Her sparse grey and white hair was pulled back into a bun and her face was lined with deep wrinkles, which were somehow diminished by the beautiful twinkle in her eyes.



"My goodness, " explained the president, smiling at his secretary, "We can't possibly use this woman. She would show the world that our beauty products weren't necessary in order to be beautiful."

"That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."
~Ninon de L'Enclos




I got the most wonderful award this past week from my good friend Miranda of A Duck In Her Pond. If you have never checked out her page, you really should. This gal can write! I am surprised that she hasn't been snapped up already by an amazing publisher. It can only be a matter of time, and then we'll all be able to say we knew her when! Thanks so much Duckie. Your award made my day and brought a HUGE smile to my face!

The rules of this award state I must post the rules and nominate five other bloggers. The rules are:
1) Choose 5 kick-*** bloggers
2) Let them know they've been awarded
3) Link back to the person who awarded you
4) Link back to MammaDawg (She created this award)

So . . . . Gloria, Angie, Misty, Raquel, and Holly . . . .
Congratulations, you so kick A**, it's not funny!

Most of the time on Sunday, Todd and I get back so late from church that, unless I have had enough forethought to put something into the slow cooker in the morning, we end up having something quick and easy to throw together for our tea, like egg and chips, or beans on toast. I usually try to make up for it during the week though, and cook Todd a proper Sunday lunch on Tuesday, when I don't have to rush back to work that night. Yesterday I did him a delicious roast chicken with sage and onion stuffing, one of our favourites. We had it with some swede and potato mash and a few mixed vegetables . . . okay, some roasted carrots and sweet potatoes. We both really enjoyed tucking into this and then spent the evening in quiet companionship, sitting at the kitchen table . . . he, studying his scriptures and me, preparing for my Seminary lesson. Mmmm . . . we have the lovely leftovers to look forward to today!



*Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion Stuffing*
Serves 4

This is a really great version of chicken and stuffing. The bacon which roasts on top of the chicken keeps it nice and moist and the stuffing, which is cooked in a casserole alongside of the chicken, is the perfect companion.

1 (1.75kg) roasting chicken
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
30g unsalted butter, softened
4 rashers of streaky bacon
1 TBS sunflower oil
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
1 leek, white part only, roughly chopped
1 sprig fresh sage
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken stock

For the stuffing:
25g butter
2 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
2 sprigs sage, leaves removed and finely chopped
1 tsp summer savoury
1 medium potato, peeled and grated
115g coarse fresh white bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
butter for dotting on top

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Rub the breast with the salted butter and then lay the bacon rashers over top. Set aside.

Place a thick bottomed roasting tin on top of the stove to heat. Add the oil. Once it starts to smoke, through in the vegetables. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables start to slightly colour. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sprig of sage and the bay leaf. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast for about an hour and a half, until the juices run clear when pricked with a fork and the drumstick gives slightly when tugged.

In the meantime make the stuffing. Melt the butter in a skillet over moderate heat. Add the onions and bacon, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until tender. (Don't let them colour) Remove from heat. Add the bread crumbs and grated potato. Give it all a good stir and then add the sage and summer savoury. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Stir in the beaten egg.

Rub the insides of a casserole dish with some butter. Pile in the stuffing and dot the top with some more butter. Cover with the lid and then bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, removing the lid for the last five minutes if desired to brown the top a bit.

When the chicken is done, put the roasting pan on top of the stove. Lift the chicken out, tilting it to let the juices run out into the pan, then set it aside to rest, covered with a bit of tinfoil. Pour the chicken stock into the pan with the vegetables and bring to the boil. Boil until it becomes a bit syrupy. Strain through a sieve into a small saucepan. Discard the solids in the sieve. Skim any fat from off of the top of the juices and heat until well warmed. You may thicken this with some cornflour if you wish.

Spoon out some of the stuffing onto each of 4 warmed plates. Top with some slices of roast chicken and a rasher of bacon on each. Spoon some of the warm gravy over top and serve.



13 comments:

  1. A lovely story, Marie and a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, dear Marie! What a beautiful story you share...And how wonderful to be back here visiting at Oak Cottage after a long holiday, seeing all you've been doing, thinking and cooking! How I have missed you! I look forward to a chat this weekend when you have time--we'll be home! :o) Oh, and I would love to make any jewelry request for your daughter--anything at all, just let me know any colors or ideas you have in mind. I look forward to the project! Hope you are having a lovely day, my dear friend! Love you heaps!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the story. Very wonderful! Anytime there is bacon involved...mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful story - true beauty indeed. That chicken looks fabulous! Thanks for the award! Much love, Raquel XO

    PS - I will be posting about my give-away tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, I love this history!! Marie I have some friends here are how you say (Im friend of some Mom's friends and are really nice with me) and someones of them give some clothes they dont used I use someones and others give other persons, is nice, a little history, one of this friend MarĂ­a Eugenia is a lovely woman about 70 I think really I dont know (is how a girl I laugh a lot with her) and she has 6 sons and daughters, four of these childs someones die and others born with mental problems, you know, only two of the childs dont have problems and I know one of her daughter that she live with her and is how a girl. So nice,Is one of the best sense of humro person I know!!! to my Mom is how a sister, they are in the same Church's Group, and I think in she as a really warm friend.

    Well really I love your history, and this Award, many thanks I will try to put and give soon!! Many thanks Marie.
    Your recipe so tasty I really love roasted chiken, ("Our" Todd like artichokes, Imade a lovely recipe but In dont know if he like!) xxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story. The chicken and stuffing looks scrumptious and so homey. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon dinner! I will try it out. Thanks and have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a lovely story Marie :)

    And that chicken, YUM, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You deserved the award! Thanks for the lovely compliments! I don't know why you keep thinking I'll forget you if I ever get published--you're a dear friend of mine and I couldn't ever let you go! Besides, I have another project I want you to help me with! (evil cackle here). I've got some news about work to tell you too later...not good, but not terrible...I'm just not happy and am pretty stressed out about it all...I'll e-mail you later.

    Love the beauty story by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story and the quote about beauty! We can all be beautiful when we have happiness inside. thank you for that reminder! That chicken recipe - so homey and wonderful, I can smell it now! Having gone from 10 of us at the dinner table, to 4 in just a few short years, this will be a great one for me and my men!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a SEMINARY TEACHER?? I taught Seminary for ten years. Taught 3 years had 2 years off then taught 4 years and had 3 off and then taught 3 more years! It's the best appointment ever! Keeps ya young or either makes you old slowly. I love the youth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie! Congratulations on your award, and now here I am awarding youa gain, but it's not hard to do. I just value your friendship and blog so much i jsut ahd to send this one to you. it's the Autumn Friends Award! Please join pur friendship circle. jsut check over at my site for more about it.! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chicken looks great and I am hungry..I have been piecing together quilt squares all day and did not start anything in the slow cooker before I started sewing.

    Once I start a sewing project I can't seem to pull myself away to cook or eat...so here it is 7:00p.m., I am starving...I'm sure John is too...and looking at your delicious chicken and dressing is making me salivate.

    I think I will fix us soup and a sandwich...and pretend I'm eating your chicken.

    I love your post today...it is so true. My most beautiful friends, like you, are beautiful from the inside out ...

    ..of course I would like to be more physically pretty...I used to be quite attractive but I've gone to pot during the last few years. I would look a lot better if I would loose weight ...but how can I do that when you and Gloria keep sending me great recipes????... and it doesn't help that I've gotten so lazy since I retired...so, since my exterior may continue to decline...I hope people will look inside me and find something pretty there.

    You will be up in a few hours.. Have a great day...good luck with your seminary lesson. With love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  13. This caught my eye because i call my daughter True Beauty...;-)
    how are you? I miss you....
    hugs from Florida
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!