Saturday 4 October 2008

Celebrating the Best of British!



I was recently contacted by a man who felt I had an important voice, and who wanted to see if I could do something to inspire us Britains to buy "British" and rally around local farmers and producers and help support the industry of food producing here in the UK.

I thought it was very timely as this is British Food Fortnight, an event which is now in it's seventh year and is a celebration of the wide diversity of foods we have available here, locally produced and grown right in the United Kingdom.

There is a real feeling growing here in Britain that we should rally around our local farmers and buy "British," in order to help support British farmers and help to maintain Britains fresh and local produce and goods, rather than support goods and produce being shipped in from abroad.

My Todd, in his younger years, was once a cowman. He knows only too well how very hard these people work on their farms, and quite often for very little in return. So many of us never stop and take a thought for the hard work that often goes into producing these lovely things we enjoy on our tables every day and the history behind it.

I try, whenever possible to buy British products. It really annoys me when I go to buy blueberries for instance, and the only ones on offer are from Poland, especially when I know that beautiful British blueberries are being grown just down the road. Oftimes I know it is because of trade agreements our country has with the other countries in the European Community, but I think it's really sad when you can't get a British Blueberry and, to be perfectly honest, I am getting to the point where I just won't buy things unless it says on the label produced in Britain . . . I firmly believe that if we fail to support our local farming communities, they will be forced to shut down shop and then where will we be . . . we'll be at the mercy of foreign producers and investors and will have lost a lot of the charm and pleasures of our local farming communities.



One needn't only hold that resolve to buying only British produce and meat however. The store shelves are laden with butters imported from Denmark, and even New Zealand . . . but there are some wonderful butters produced right here in our own country that are just as good, sometimes even better and quite often much cheaper than the imports. I like to buy British branded butter myself. Country Life is the only major British branded butter in the UK market today. There are a few smaller brands that are a bit more expensive and more specialized, but Country Life is a very good butter and quite reasonably priced. In these days when every penny counts, that is nothing to sniff at!

The farmers that produce this butter work very hard and long hours, and are often very educated people with a great deal of knowledge about what they are producing and a care about the environment and the impact their farms have on it.



Peter Hawkins owns and runs Lingens Farm in Worcester. This is a farm that has been operated by his wife's family for many years. Having studied agriculture at college, Peter traveled all over the world with his wife, Helen, working on farms in Canada, Australia and Saudi Arabia, before settling down on Lingens Farm in 1991.

The Lingens Farm is shrouded in heritage, retaining many of its traditional 17th Century buildings including two threshing barns and old orchards that remain from the time when the farm was used for fruit and hops. Peter is currently working with Natural England to try and restore the old buildings to their former state. Peter and his family work really hard to ensure that the farm works as a profitable dairy farm whilst remaining true to its traditions. To do this, they have created an environment where everything can live and over the years, as well as cows, this farm has become home to many other species of wildlife including hares, foxes, sparrows, wrens and owls who like to nest in the old barns.



Clive Guerney owns and runs Abbey Court Farm in Hereford. His family has owned and operated dairy farms since the early 1960's when his grandfather bought a small farm in North Staffs of 39 acres. Now Clive has his own farm with some 320 cows on an impressive 400 acres. Clive’s farm is very special in that, he has made a massive commitment to not only his cows, but also to the environment which he is very passionate about. He works very hard to ensure that his farm exists side by side with the natural backdrop and wildlife that exists all around him. As well as maintaining and replanting hedge rows and maintaining his woodlands and ponds, Mr Guerney has also created a wetlands area for the local wildlife. He is an active member of FWAG (Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group) and dedicates time to working with the countryside stewardships on annual projects. Clive is also a popular man around the village, having hosted the local village fete and donating a field to the village.

British Farms are not just farms . . . they are history and the soul of all that is good in Britain, rich in heritage and stewardship, and community. As intelligent consumers we need to make every effort to sustain and support our British farmers and this very vital industry.

Buying British is important for many reasons. In doing so we are the lucky recipients of some of the best quality produce and goods in the world and we can reduce our carbon footprint and the impact that it has on the world. I believe in doing my part, how about you?



To help celebrate British Food Fortnight, Antonia of Food, Glorious Food is hosting a blogging event which celebrates the very best of British Food . . . the challenge being to to create a thoroughly British dish from (where possible), locally-sourced ingredients.



I have decided to make a lovely Bread and Butter Pudding, using Country Life Butter, a uniquely British Branded Butter . . . Bread and Butter Pudding is a variation of custard, bread and butter that has become one of our great British Classic puddings. It's always been a good way of using up stale bread and a testimony to great British ingenuity and thrift!



*Bread and Butter Pudding*
Serves 6-8

This pudding has a delicious sponge like texture, just oozing with thick fresh custard between the layers.

12 medium slices of white bread
2 ounces british butter, softened (Country Life!)
8 egg yolks (British free range organic please!)
6 ounces sugar
few drops of pure vanilla extract
300ml of whole milk
300 ml double cream
2 ounces sultana raisins
more sugar for sprinkling

Grease a glass baking dish with some butter and set aside.

Butter all the bread, removing the crusts and cutting in half diagonally, creating triangles. Arrange the bread in layers in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling with the raisins in between the layers.

Whisk the egg yolks together in a bowl along with the sugar, mixing together well. Set aside.

Place the vanilla in a pan with the milk and cream. Bring to the simmer, then remove from the heat. Whisk a bit of this heated mixture into the egg yolk mixture, slowly to temper it, then whisk it in completely, stirring all the time. Pour the warm egg mixture through a seive onto the bread and butter layers. Leave to soak for 20 minutes before cooking.

Place a large roasting pan onto a baking tray. Place the dish with the bread and butter pudding into this roasting pan,a nd then fill the roasting pan with warm water to come up 2/3 of the way. cover the whole thing with buttered foil and then place in the heated oven and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, just until the mixture begins to set. You don't want it to become too firm.

Remove from the oven and the water bath and place it back on the baking tray. Sieve more sugar over the top and then place it under a hot grill to dissolve and caramelize the sugar. Watch very carefully so it doesn't burn.

Serve warm spooned out into individual bowls or plates. You can serve with ice cream or pouring cream if you wish.

*Note you can add some freshly grated nutmeg in between the layers if you wish for an extra spicy flavour.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this great entry. Bread and Butter pudding is such a classic - completely delicious and, as you say, perfectly thrifty for these times of credit crunch! I'm craving this for pudding tonight now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant entry! I was trying the other day to think of another English butter. Country Life's advertising slogan "You'll never put a better bit of butter on your knife" is just spot-on. And I'm always trying to think why other English produce is so hard to come by. My particular bugbear is asparagus. We can buy the Spanish sort all year round (at a price), even when English is in season and they grow the stuff just up the road!

    We love bread and butter pudding in this house but there would be a riot if I were to cut the crusts off the bread!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOORAY--so well said, Marie...absolutely fantastic!! This really give food for thought ;o) Seeing all the imported foods in shop is a real turn off. And more and more I refuse as much as I can non-local foods. It's hard though, as outside of perhaps the dairy and meat product, much is imported here in Norway. If we had more local-food choice to choose from at the shop, people would certainly be willing to buy them and support local producers...If only the shops would listen to us all! Lovely recipe...And just an outstanding post. So wonderful to get to chat with you yesterday, my dear friend--made my day! Happy weekend to you & Todd ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for you for buying British! I try to buy regional when I can. We've only got one grocery chain in the area, and they try to nudge everyone else out so we'll buy THEIR product. There's no other option except Target (big chain store like Wal Mart) and Wal Mart. And they try to push their own products on you too!

    We have a few farmer's markets, but I haven't found a good one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree wholeheartedly! I try to buy American and local whenever possible. We patronize the farmer's market a lot and of course we can all we can during the summer and eat that during the winter. I have finally found a source for grass-fed beef within about 50 miles, so I am excited. Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful dedication to all that is good around you! It takes a bit of time and thought to support local merchants and business,but in the long run, it is so worth the effort. your pictures of the farmers and farms make me want to come over and see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Marie!! This is something everybody should do where ever they live! LOVE LOVE LOVE the bread pudding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this entry dear Marie I love all Britain, my grand pa (Father of my Mom) come from Southampton and here married with my grand ma from Spain (Asturias) so English and Spain are so close of us. Mom a years a go visit England and enjoy with her england family, was so nice, I always mail with some cousins and now to December come my cousin Jean with her hubby to my Home,! so Im so happy to share with them at home, she knew the twins when they had two years so I think will be surprising to see them.
    Your pictures are the most wonderful I saw!!! beauty,beauty,
    amnd I love Bread Pudding is one of my favorite dessert! maybe late I made this (I have lot of bread) Hugga friend and have with our lovely Todd a happy and nice weekend!!!!! xxxxxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post :) And that bread pudding looks to die for...thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Marie! Good for you for supporting your country. I try to buy produce at local farmers markets and shops. It makes so much sense to support your neighbors.

    Your bread pudding looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also think it is important to support our locally produced products. I try to do so.

    This mornings conference talks seemed to be just for me and Erin. They have touched my heart. I can't wait until the afternoon session starts.

    I am making your Good as Apple pie dessert in between session to have for Sunday dinner tomorrow.

    My daughter-in-law's grandmother lives in England. I know that Marla will enjoy getting some English recipes to share with her family. I will tell her about today's post.

    I send love to you,Todd and Jess.
    Have a good weekend. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bread pudding looks good! I have been wanting to try making a bread pudding for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy, yummy, yummy...and I'm not just talking about the recipes...love your photo's and stories too. I'm following and will be returning!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Your pudding looks delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post. And that bread pudding looks sooo YUMMY! Thank you for the recipe. And I agree , we should support and buy products made in our own countries, I try to buy American, as much as possible.
    Blessings, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marie I love your post I love all things British Although I live in Australia I miss Scotland So much I lost my Mum over there three weeks ago Because I have Bad health I cant Come home I miss Britain so much.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you wrote about buying locally and supporting british farmers. I think this is such an important thing to do and everything should try their hardest to support british food. My husband's favourite pudding is bread and butter pudding and he always moans that I don't make it enough! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hear hear...well said Marie!! I always buy British and local if I can...i have found a great welsh butter in Lidl of all places, its made just over the bridge from us...very delicious!
    This is very topical for me at the moment as we have just enjoyed a locally sourced seasonal lunch with parishoners from our church...I made leek and potato soup, and your apple crumble cake....made with free local apples...what a great lunch we had...thank you for your wonderful recipe...they all loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greatly put. I agree one hundred percent. Buy local. If we had more local producers here I would buy from them good for you. I was just in New York and there was a little farmer's market down the street with fresh produce home grown by locals. I loved shopping there and wish there were more available. If I lived in Britain I would shop local. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!