Wednesday 8 October 2008

Making Every Day Count . . .



“Today a new sun rises for me; everything lives, everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it.” ~Anne De Lenclos

I’ve often heard it said, that you should live each day as if it were the last day of your life, making every moment count. We shouldn't squander one thought, one moment, one sunrise . . . we should try to live each day in every single way that will make us feel good about it, so that even if it were all over tomorrow, we’d be content and say to ourselves . . . well done.




Right now I am sitting here in front of my computer, and all around me the earth is awakening to face a new day . . . it first started as little chirps and peeps, invading the darkness that was beginning to creep away as daylight crept in along the horizon, and now is a cacophony of the sound and music of birdsong, that is echoing thru the early morning light. It is my favourite time of day. My head has not long left my pillow, and the whole day stands before me . . . fresh and clean, like a new page waiting for me to write upon it. What words will I write today, what new things will I find to cherish? Will I spend it wisely, or will I waste it in a frenzy of activity and fog, not stopping to cherish all the small blessings that are mine to experience and appreciate . . . Will I take every luminous moment that is mine, each “everyday epiphany” and see them for what they are, precious gifts not to be taken for granted, small pockets of joy and awakening? Will I stop to cherish the ones I love, and the ones who love me back, and even the ones I don’t love so much? Will I try to do my best in all that I do? Will I sing a little louder, a little stronger, the song of my heart and weave a song of promise and joy around the fibres of my life today?



Will today be not only the first day of the rest of my life . . . but indeed . . . the best day of my life thus far?

This is what I tell myself each morning. Today is the best day of your life. Today you will stand a little taller. Today you will rise up and conquer every challenge that comes your way. Today you will cherish every moment, every smile, every heartbeat, every teardrop . . .

Know what? It works . . . coz every day is, indeed, the best day of my life . . . and every day counts as never before. May you today recognize the poet within your soul and register every precious moment of your life, before this too, passes . . . and it is once again . . . too late.



I made the cookbook challenge recipe yesterday afternoon. I have to confess right now, that neither Todd nor I were overly fond of it. I thought the pears were lovely and the vinaigrette wonderful, except the garlic in it was quite overpowering. If I make it again, I won't put that much garlic in it. It's raw and so it has a distinct kick and one fat clove was far too much in my opinion. The cheesecake, well, it just wasn't to our taste, but that doesn't mean that it won't be to yours! I found it to be more eggy and quiche-like rather than creamy like a cheesecake. I did cut the recipe in thirds so that I could make a smaller amount. There's no way Todd and I could eat enough for 8. I am wondering if I may get into trouble by posting her recipe from the book, so have decided that I shall give you the link where you can get the recipe on her page and just show you the picture I took from it. Here's the recipe LINK.

To make up for it I shall give you the recipe for a delicious steak though. Here's one to put in your file that you can bring out on one of those special occasions, such as an anniversary or some such, or maybe you just want to celebrate life. It doesn’t have to be a special day, like an anniversary or a birthday, but just a celebration of being. There is no finer way to cap off a day of joy and celebration than this, and if you feel like you have to wait for a special occasion to enjoy it, then so be it . . .



*Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon*
Serves 4
This is the ultimate celebratory meal. I love the tang of the blue cheese against the richness of the perfectly cooked steak. I could eat this every day, but then . . . It wouldn’t be so special anymore I guess. Make this for the love of your life, just because . . .

1 TBS olive oil
4 filet beef steaks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 TBS butter
2 shallots, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
¾ cup red wine
2/3 cup beef stock
1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs (I use panko)
6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled and divided
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
4 TBS pine nuts, toasted

Pre-heat your grill. Mix together in a small bowl, the breadcrumbs, 4 ounces of the blue cheese, and the chopped parsley. Set aside.

Melt the oil and 1 TBS of the butter in a small skillet. Season the filet steaks with salt and pepper on each side to taste and then sear in the hot pan, cooking for about 5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove to a baking dish.

Add 2 TBS of butter to the skillet and sauté the shallots and garlic in the pan, cooking until softened, but not coloured. Add the wine and the beef stock, scraping up all the brown bits in the bottom of the pan and stirring. Add the rosemary. Bring to a boil, and cook until it is reduced by half. This is your sauce. Once reduced, stir in the remaining 2 ounces of blue cheese and keep warm.

Top each filet with an equal portion of the bread crumb mixture and place under the grill. Grill for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crumbs are lightly browned. Remove.
Spoon a portion of sauce onto each of four warmed plates and top with one of the grilled steaks.

Sprinkle pine nuts over and serve.

17 comments:

  1. You my dear know how to celebrate life! It is a challenge to try to make today count, and remember how blessed we are to be living it. I know that is how God would intend it to be. Looking to Him in thanks and going forward doing his will and his work. We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Marie. I haven't had steak in ages and now i want one and it's not even 8.00am yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we should LIVE life. Every day. That steak looks wonderful, I am like Sylvie I want one now! Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! What a great looking steak...yum!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    -Sandy Toes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your view of life Marie ~ when I get down on myself and things around me, there are oftentimes I think of your nature. It helps...
    Your steak recipe? That's one of Cindy's fav's LOL as far as beef is concerned, the filet is her fav cut and she loves the blue cheese on it (she doesn't care for blue cheese otherwise for the exception of blue cheese dressing for salad occasionally) me? I don't care for blue cheese, everyonce in a while I will have something with gorgonzola (MILD blue cheese LOL) but other than that? it's too strong for my taste buds. I tend to lean towards Havarti's, Farmers Cheese, Monteray Jacks etc. Sharp Cheddars too. Oh, of course Feta and Kasseri cheeses.
    Thank you for sharing :) Love and Hugz** Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first recipe doesn't look too wonderful but the steak! Mmmmm. I love steak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living life to it's fullest, being joyous each day is what I hope I'm teaching Andrew. I hope that is one of the lessons that sticks!

    And that steak looks divine! I think that we'll be having one in the very near future!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Marie! Oh, what an uplifting post! I feel much as you do...to take each day as a gift and live it as if it were the only one I have and make them most of it! The recipes from the challenge have potential...I am curious about the "cheesecake", though it does look very much like a quiche or souffle even. My hubby would love that blue cheese-crusted steak..I love blue cheese, but will pass on the steak ;o) Hope you two are having a great day. A busy one here today...So chance of a chat with you tomorrow?? LOVE YOU HEAPS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. That filet mignon looks heavenly! I know what you mean. I look at pictures of the Babies and wish I'd treasured them more when they were tiny. I feel like time has just whipped by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie, as I've said before, my day doesn't truly begin until I read your blog. The truth be known is because I love to pick up and hitch a ride on your energy and enthusiasm! Today's quote and your writing go hand in hand (so creative)~'Today is the best day of your life' is a great motto like 'today is the first day of the rest of your life!' As a breast cancer survivor I am ever mindful of my blessings! And, dearest friend across the wide ocean, YOU are one of my treasured blessings! May today really shine and sparkle for you! Yes, that filet with blue cheese is in our future and what an elegant dinner it would be for guests!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple years ago at the restaurant a retired Pastor and his wife came to the register to pay they're bill. He asked me how my day was and I must have said something like not so well because he said "If you're not having a good day it's your own fault" It kinda set me back a little, what do you mean "MY FAULT" Then I thought about it and he was right. It's all about how you handle the things that come at you in your day, it's your choice whether you have a good day or not. Thanks for the great post Marie and the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post! I especially love that picture of the driveway, its absolutely lovely. I apologize for my lack of visitation to this blog, I miss you like mad, and rest assured I will visit and read every chance I get!! I mean, I just barely got around to updating after a month...so that should witness as to how busy I have been! But tell Todd and Jess hi for me! And as always, I'm sending all my love across the pond straight to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post, Marie! Sorry the pear/garlic thing didn't work out. I hate when I spend good money on ingredients and don't like the finished product. That happened to me the other day w/ a horrible dal mix I bought. When will I learn, NO MIXES! Do from scratch! Which is what I will do tonight. Anyway, the blue cheese and filet mignon souds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Sheryl, you do know how to celebrate life. I hope I can follow your good example.

    This steak look delicious. I wish I had some right now...even though it is breakfast time. After eating at the hospital cafeteria for two days I am starving for decent food.

    John is home. I sent you an email. It was not his heart and we are thankful for that.

    I hope that this really has been your "best" day ever. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an uplifting, daymaking blog! I will have to add this to my favorites! Your steak looks perfect! What a great recipe and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Marie, look at waht time I come to see you, at night. when always I made in the morning, well dear I had a busy day, Im with Esperanza at the Doctir (psiquiatrist) she give M. Esperanza some medecines I think are good to her. Always we have afraid to give medecines to childs, but is not a lot and she is more peaceful. (Some days were soo sadly) Love your postt dear. You know how I think is lovely celebrate the life and God.
    Is nice appreciate every moment, every thing,today I enter walking to my house (about 3 km) and I like to seethe trees are blossom , and the lemon trees are beauty too, and is not too hot yet, next month is so hot here.
    I have tosay Im happy you like the awards I give you with all my heart and love.
    See you tomorrow if God will!! xxxxxGloria

    Im happy Lura's hubby is better I saw the nice pictures she place in her new post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie can you come out and play today? I so wish at times well let's say most of the time that you were close enough so we could hang out. Your such a sweet sweet friend one of these days we will meet.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!