Friday 22 May 2009

Friday Morning thoughts . . .



So let me live
That when I die
A tear will come
To every eye.

In every heart
There'll be a spot,
An empty place
Where I am not.

So let me live
That when I'm gone
Kind thoughts of me
Will linger on.

And folks will say
With grief inside,
"I sort of wish
She hadn't died."
~Juanita Hale Shears

Life is a pretty amazing thing. What we make of it is our choice to make. There is no point in blaming others for making our lives unhappy or miserable. We are the Captains of our own ships. Each day when we rise we are already setting the tone for the day to come.



Do we begin our days on a positive note and a prayer? Or do we dwell on the negative of days gone by, things we cannot change? Is our glass half full . . . or half empty? Do we make the best of what we have, with the most of the God given grace that we've been given? Do we go about our work with a happy attitude and do whatever we've got to do with a cheerful heart? Do we practice the art of giving instead of always expecting to get? Do we look for the good in others instead of always seeking out the bad? Do we remember to be grateful? Do we make our actions and words loving and kind?



These are only small things, but they go a long way towards making a better life for ourselves. Life is not about what we have or where we live so much as it's about the person we choose to be and the love we choose to share . . .

I understand that there has been an issue with blogger and Internet Explorer and I noticed that yesterday I had very few visits. I hope this issue gets resolved soon. I know that yesterday when I tried to read a lot of the blogs on my reading list I kept getting shut out. When I switched my browser to Mozilla though, I was ok. Just a thought. I find that I use Mozilla most of the time these days anyways. Not only is it quicker but there are far fewer browsing problems. I apologize to anyone who was having problems and I hope that you'll continue to visit me.



I was quite tired yesterday, as you can imagine. I even had a nap in the middle of the afternoon, which is sooo not like me! I made us a simple supper of chili and rice and then for dessert I made these quick and tasty fruit tarts. I don't know about you, but when I'm tired I have absolutely no willpower at all, and dessert is essential. ☺

Besides I had some berries that needed using up . . .



*Quick Blueberry and Raspberry Tarts*
Makes 8
Printable Recipe

These are best made just before serving. They're quick, easy and very delicious! I like to serve mine with a dollop of low fat creme fraiche on top, but vanilla ice cream is very good as well. Don't skip lining your pan with baking paper. These will run a bit and clean up is alot easier if you have lined your pan.

8 TBS butter, chilled and cut into bits
one 17 ounce package frozen puff pastry, defrosted
3/4 cup sugar
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Line a baking sheet with some baking paper and then lightly butter the paper. Set aside.

Unroll the pastry sheets flat. Cut each sheet into quarters and then transfer them to the baking sheet. Turn up the edges of each piece about half an inch all the way around to form a raised edge. Sprinkle the bottom of each with about 1 tsp of sugar.

In a large bowl combine the berries with 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar. Toss gently to coat. Divide the berries up and spoon the mixture equally over each pastry shell. Scatter 1 TBS of the butter over each tart. Sprinkle the remaining sugar equally over each tart.

Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 17 to 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the fruit is softened and bubbling. Serve immediately.


18 comments:

  1. You always have such beautiful garden photos! I had the same problem yesterday as well using IE, very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just pure luck but the only problem I have is that posts are sometimes slow to appear on my dashboard. I'm glad I do't rely on the feedbitz alert, which is at least 2 days late every time.

    "We are Captains of our own ships....." - IF we can get out on deck! Keith has gone to work with all the keys. AGAIN. How positive am I that he's in trouble when he gets home!!!!! Actually it's only the dog who will want to go out and even she won't bother when she sees it's raining.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, this sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have any trouble viewing your blog but did with others. It seems an intermittant problem that comes and goes at will. It is our choice how we want our day to be. Even when things aren't going well we have a choice. That flaky pastry makes it so easy to have a quick desert. Your tarts sound and look scrumptious! Have a great weekend. I'll be off to the campsite after work today and won't make an entry til Tuesday morning.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT'S DEFINITELY AN INTERNET EXPLORER THING... I GOT THE ERROR MESSAGE WHEN I OPENED YOURS THE FIRST TIME BUT GOT IN THE SECOND TIME..

    YOUR WORDS WERE VERY INSPIRATIONAL TO ME THIS MORNING..I AM GLAD I GOT TO READ THEM!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem yesterday and again today. Thankfully I thought to try Firefox. I hope you feel more awake today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fruit tarts sounds so yummy! I haven't had any problems getting to your blog, except if I don't have time to read it before I go to work. At work the pictures won't download, but it is not just you. Lots of sites are blocked that way. I guess big brother doesn't want me goofing off on company time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie!

    Beautiful pictures! Thanks for the inspiration today. I was also having problems yesterday. But I think things are back to normal today.

    I want a piece of that tart - yum! Have a wonderful weekend!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful friday morning thoughts! so so true. i've recently decided to "turn the other cheek" to someone despite the fact that i didn't want to for so long. they had hurt me and i wanted to just be angry and sulk. i wanted to just shut them out of my life and then i read my scriptures more this week, read your thoughts, and just pondered for awhile. then i came to the conclusion that i need to obey the commandment-love one another. its a choice we have to make sometimes even when it is so hard to do. i feel such a sense of peace now and i hope that a friendship will be rebuilt and that the past can be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After a couple days of problems being allowed to read your blog...now it seems to be working...even faster...and we did NOTHING...go figure!! But I am glad to be able to come and see what all ya been up to of late! Obviously not YOUR problem...something to do with the internet. I have been wondering if our wonderful powers that be are not wanting us to have access to blogs overseas for some odd reason. Cause with me, it is the ones overseas that I have trouble with of late. Hmmmmm?
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEA!!!! I've had the hardest time leaving comments. I'm so happy I've arrived.

    Thank you for sharing this post today. I loved that poem. The flowers are lovely. I have these growing in my garden to.
    Have a good day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. IntEx let me visit you at last. I wonder what is going on with it???
    I guess that I should look into getting another brouser.

    I love your poem and thoughts for today.The poem expresses my feelings very well...in fact I wrote one with similar thoughts several years ago...but the one you posted is better than mine.

    The tarts look so good. John would love them..so would I.

    I am sending love...I hope you have a wonderful 3 day weekend and can get away with your Todd for some fun. XOXO Lura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are very interesting plant pictures. I don't think I've ever seen that type of flower before.

    I was having problems accessing blogs with IE the last couple of days, which was very frustrating and a bit of a tease, because I could only see the few lines that appear on Google reader. I thought it was just my computer, but now I see others were experiencing the same problem. Glad it's been fixed.

    I'll have to check out Mozilla. Is it possible to have both browsers on your computer and then just switch back and forth betwen them? I have to use IE for work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had some of those IE problems in the past, a computer friend told me some sort of virus picked up from Facebook. I don't use Facebook, but many people do.

    I do begin my day on a positive note, and truthfully, I am a morning person, so that helps. I love the start of a new day, all the promise...~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I hear 'Everything' I think of you now. It is played a lot on the radio here it seems. Also if I lived anywhere near you and you were so inclined to share your goodies you make everyday...I would weigh 500 pounds by now. Sorry, just some of my random thoughts. No problems with my internet as I always use Mozilla. Someone told me you have less spamming with it, so I just always have. I am glad you finally got some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I spoke too soon! My computerappears to be on a go-slow. I exect I shall just have to sit it out. How do I get Mozilla? Is it difficult and does it cost anything? I didn't know you could do that, have 2 browsers.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll be fed up of me! Forget what I asked about Mozilla - I've got it and yes, it does seem to work faster at the moment than IE and it was free!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do have a lovely garden.. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!