Wednesday 10 June 2009

How can I keep from singing . . .



Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul . . .
How can I keep from singing?
~Robert Lowry, 19th century Hymn


I love hymns. They help us to see the reality of life in a very simple and very vivid way. Often when I am on my own I will put a cd of hymns or Gospel music onto our cd player and just sit and listen to them, allowing the words and music to wash over me and feed my soul, and Todd and I keep an assortment of the same music in our car. It's a wonderful way to get yourselves spiritually prepared for just about anything that life can and will throw at you.



My faith in my Heavenly Father and in my Saviour, is a deep and abiding one. It has carried me over many a high and low in my life. Hymns and Gospel music are a beautiful extension of that. The words and the music sometimes touch me in such a way that it were as if the Heavens themselves were opened up and fingers from above were reaching down to cover me with love. Just as the scriptures speak to my mind and my soul, this type of music speaks to the very heart of me as well.



I have quite a few pieces loaded on to my ipod and often when I am at work and puttering away I plug my ipod in and listen to it. It helps to while away the hours of what can sometimes be pretty mundane. When I first came over here, I worked in a Care facility. Working in a place like that can often be sad and depressing. I was far away from home and having to clean toilets in a place where the people I worked with were not very friendly or welcoming. The residents were lovely, but the other cleaners and care assistants were quite the opposite. I used to often sing hymns to myself as I puttered away. It's amazing how much some well written words and music can lift you up when events or people would try to knock you down. It is hard to feel low when there is a song in your heart.




One of the most moving and wonderful experiences of my life was getting to attend Music and the Spoken Word with Lura this past February when I was over in Salt Lake City. Being able to sit in the Tabernacle and see and listen to the Tabernacle choir in person was amazing, and to do it sitting next to a dear and much loved friend only made it all the more touching.

Yes, hymns certainly add a beautiful dimension to my life and I cannot picture a life without them in it. They do echo in my soul and are a vital part of what keeps me singing.

A young woman in my Ward recently had a baby and we were asked to make up some meals to be delivered to their home to help get her through these first weeks that are bound to be very busy for her, especially where it is her first. I have to send a meal over today and I made a delicious casserole for them that I hope they will enjoy. The pictures are not the best as I can only really show you the outside of it, but trust me when I say this is truly delicious. If you don't have any leftover ham, you can always buy the thick sliced ham from the deli counter or even canned ham in a pinch. This comes from my Big Blue Binder. (By the way my cookbook, Recipes From The Big Blue Binder is now available on Amazon!)



*Ham and Mac Bake*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

This is an old standby of mine that goes way back. It is simple and delicious. This is family food, comfort food. The ingredients may sound a bit unusual, but trust me when I say they go together very well and create something that truly does taste quite wonderful. it's funny how putting a few simple things together like this turns into magic.

1 2/3 cups macaroni
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup plain flour
2 TBS prepared mild mustard
1/4 tsp salt
dash ground black pepper
2 cups milk
2 TBS brown sugar
2 cups cubed, fully cooked ham
2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup of cracker crumbs
2 TBS butter or margarine, melted

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly butter a 2 litre casserole dish and set aside.

Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water, according to the package directions. Drain well, rinse and set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup of butter. Stir in the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Blend in the mustard, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Remove from the heat and stir in the macaroni, apple and ham. Turn this mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Combine the crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle them evenly over top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned on top. Serve hot.



12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, comfort food indeed and just what the new mum will be needing. How great to belong to a church which is so 'hands on' with its caring.

    love, Angie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a great idea to help out a new mother like that. I know that when a friend sent over a meal for me one time it was greatly appreciated. The casserole sounds wonderful and I do happen to have some leftover ham in the freezer so it will be something new to try out. I will have to remember to keep singing the songs. I used to sing more often than I do now and needed the reminder to start doing it again.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples!! I've never seen apples in maca nad cheese! I'm bookmarking this to make. I always buy hams and get the butcher to cut them up for me so I have lots in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the hymns...I love so many but among my favorites are I Believe in Christ and I Need Thee Every Hour. I am glad you got the opportunity to go to the Tabernacle. I have known Lloyd Newell since he was just a regular guy. He is the only guy I can...I knew him when...

    He is such a funny person, you'd never know it from his demeanor on The Spoken Word! I always tell him to smile more on the broadcasts...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had published works~that is great! Someday when the budget recovers from the remodeling I'll buy one! Good for you, you are very accomplished, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie
    What a wonderfully encouraging post today. I love all the old hymns too. we seldom sing them in our church because it's all contemporary music.
    I have some friends coming to sew with me today. It's going to be fun!
    ((hugs)) Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this song in your heart today, Marie! Ironically, I mention hymns at my place today too...great minds think alike! ;o) So great to chat with you a while last night and catch up--such fun! Love the addition of apples to this simple recipe. that little zing from the apples--So nice with the cheese and ham. Happy Day, sweet friend! :o) LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie!
    I think music is one of the most wonderful ways to feel the Spirit. I love music that inspires and lifts me up.

    Your casserole sounds wonderful. I will keep it in my files as something to bring to people in our ward that need a meal. Thanks!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds good to me! How sweet of you to help them out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dish Marie! look absolutely yummy!!!
    and so lovely post, huggs!!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello dear,
    It is Friday and we are back home. I have not even unpacked everything yet but I had to jump on line and catch up with your posts that I missed while I was traveling. I love reading your posts... you make my heart smile.

    Our time spent together in Feb. is precious to me too. I will never forget the lovely week we had doing wonderful things together. I always think of us being there when I hear the Mo Tab choir sing. What a special time we shared.

    I need to go and pick up our four legged daughter, Heidi... so I must run. Have a great weekend. I can't wait to talk to you next Tues. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!