Tuesday 16 June 2009

I Scream, You Scream . . .



We all scream for Ice cream!

I know, I know . . . so predictable . . . but I just could not resist saying it! When I was a kid, everytime there was ice cream involved in anything my mom always chanted that little ditty. It's deeply ingrained in my psyche! I have fond memories of driving in a hot car in the summertime, on our way to the beach and an ice cream treat on the warf at some point during the day, and chanting that little verse all the way! Rainbow ice cream for me, double scoop please . . . is there anything tastier on the earth on a hot summer's day???? but I digress . . .

Welcome to Tuesdays With Dorie, the international baking group, which bakes together each week, one recipe from the wonderful baking book by Dorie Greenspan, Baking, from my home to yours! My most favouritest baking book of all time!

This week Tommi of Brown Interior selected Honey-Peach Ice Cream on page 437. Just the perfect recipe for these warm days we have been having!



I confess though . . . I did not use peaches. They're not in season over here. I didn't want to use peaches that have been shipped thousands of miles and are a tasteless fascimile of what a peach really should taste like. I'd rather eat a canned peach. But one thing we do have plenty of right now, is strawberries, . . . beautiful, fresh, sweet English Strawberries!

And so . . . you guessed it . . . I made English Strawberry Ice cream.



Making Ice Cream is not such a daunting task these days with the modern Ice Cream makers that are available. When my kids were small it was a different kettle of fish. My sister in law and her husband gave us an ice cream maker one year for Christmas and it was this huge wooden bucket thing that required dry ice and all sorts. Can you guess how many times we used it? That's right . . . ZILCH! Nada! Never! I know . . . darn shame, but it was just too complicated and way too much work.




With these new modern machines, it's just a matter of making your custard up, adding your fruit and then letting them do all the work. No ice required, dry or otherwise. Only a cold freezer to freeze your insert ahead of time.



Instead of the peaches I used 2 cups of fresh berries, which I crushed along with 2 ounces of sugar and then added as per the recipe requirements.



It was good . . . very . . . very . . . good.



If you would like the recipe please hop on over to Tommi's page, and while you're in a visiting mood, please be sure to check out the Dorie Blog Roll and see what the other ladies/bakers got up to! There are sure to be some really tasty looking versions!!

Next week Andrea of Andrea In The Kitchen has chosen Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise on pages 293-295. Now that sounds really challenging!




If you are curious and you'd like to see what I did with these fresh radishes from our garden tubs, hop on over to The English Kitchen. You won't be sorry that you did!



16 comments:

  1. Yes I remember singing that as a girl Marie.I am doing catch up right now before I go away on Saturday.The ice cream man plays his music every evening down my avenue turns round at the bottom and stands outside my home for custom.I love to see the toddlers faces as there Mums get them a cornet LOL!!Loved the post and the ice cream looks delicious.Thankyou for your kind words in my blog.Good to be back reading you once again.Oh!! and Austria Wow!! a place I had mentioned of late to the Rooster for our August holiday so who knows? Lucky you.Loved Todds hat LOL!! I have to love anything to do with Texas. Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry ice cream...the taste of summer frozen! :O) mmm...love strawberry ice cream. There's an ice cream truck that comes around here too--it's song part of the sound of summer. Lovely summer... Hope to get to chat with you today, my friend. Happy Day & LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry ice cream...the taste of summer frozen! :O) mmm...love strawberry ice cream. There's an ice cream truck that comes around here too--it's song part of the sound of summer. Lovely summer... Hope to get to chat with you today, my friend. Happy Day & LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those strawberries are stunning! I need to make some strawberry ice cream and soon! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear from Kath again isn't it? I only didn't mention your trip to Austria because the Green Eyed Monster is sitting on my shoulder!

    When in season, our English strawberries are wonderful. Sweet enugh and juicy enough not to need sugar. I ate a whole pound on my own on Sunday afternoon!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful! Strawberry would be a very tasty variation of this.
    Great job Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS! I LOOOOVE strawberry ice cream and have yet to make it on my own! Those gorgeous strawberries look like they would make some great ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh yummy! Strawberries sound wonderful! Great looking ice cream!

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I wish I had use strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie!
    Wow - that ice cream looks delicious! We had one of those bucket ice cream makers when I was growing up. I don't remember us ever using it - lol! I have been thinking about getting a modern ice cream maker but wasn't sure if it was easy to use or not. Thanks for the information!

    Yours looks wonderful! I hope you are having a great week!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. i scream for icecream too! love it. i could eat it every day(oh wait, i do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been waiting for someone to say it! Love your strawberry variation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That little ditty must have swept the norther hemisphere because it was common in North Dakota and CA too. My dad was a big ice cream lover and chanted it quite often. Fun remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my granddaughters favorite icecream...she would love you...lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. And just so you know, I wasn't talking about our book--I was talking about Miss Pickles--b/c it's for older kids, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mouth Watering Ice Cream, i wish i could have it right now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!