Friday 12 June 2009

Thursday Evening Walkabout . . .




"On this June day the buds in my garden are almost as enchanting as the open flowers. Things in bud bring, in the heat of a June noontide, the recollection of the loveliest days of the year . . . those days of May, when all is suggested, nothing yet fulfilled."
~Francis King



Todd and I went for a walk about the gardens yesterday after supper along with Jess. Everything it looking most spectacular. It is always amazing to me how just a few short weeks can bring about a burst of the most glorious colours. They are a gift for the eyes and the scents are glorious. Every step brings a new one to enjoy.



Our feeder has been visited by many fledglings . . . grey tits, sparrows, even starling juveniles. Oh, how I love spring. The bunnies in the garden are also so very cute to watch. We get groups of them in early morning and evening just at dusk. The other night I looked out the laundry room window as I was doing some ironing and I saw a fox sitting there eating cherries that had fallen from the trees.



Living here is sometimes what I imagine living in Eden must have been like. I am surrounded by so much beauty that to open my eyes each morning is a gift and I can scarce take it all in. So lovely . . . so lovely . . .



I managed to get a cute little painting done yesterday. I call this one Celebrate! I'll be posting her in her entirety over at Blossom Time Creations a bit later on, so be sure to check it out. She's a sweetie I am thinking.



This is my first Friday to participate in a new Baking Group, hosted by Susan of Not Quite June Cleaver. Each Friday she presents us with a new recipe or recipes and we have a week to bake them in and then post about it. This week's choice was between Dorie Greenspan's mixed berry cobbler, and Susan's delicious Quiche. I chose the Quiche.



I chose the quiche. Contrary to popular belief, real men do eat Quiche and to be perfectly honest this particular one would be very difficult to resist! I loved this recipe, it was very versatile and you could really adapt it to your own tastes. Here is my delicious version!



*Susan's Quiche*
Makes one 10 inch quiche
Printable Recipe

This was so easy to make I quite enjoyed it and the results were most delicious!

1 unbaked 10 inch pie crust (your own recipe or a good store bought one)
2 - 3 cups of your favourite vegetables (I used chopped ham, spring onions, and red and yellow peppers)
a dab of olive oil and butter
3 cups of grated cheese (I used Strong Cheddar, Red Leicester, and Gouda)
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup cream
(Susan uses half and half but we can't get that here)
salt and black pepper to taste



Pre-heat your oven to 190*C/375*F. Line your pie dish with the pastry, fluting the edges as desired. Set aside.

Heat a little dab of butter and olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add your vegetables and ham. Saute for a few minutes, until they begin to wilt. Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you grate your cheese.

Place two cups of your cheese in the bottom of your crust. Spread the cooked vegetables and ham over top of this. Beat the eggs, milk and cream together. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Pour this over your vegetables and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over top.

Place on a baking tray and then bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until nicely browned and a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers Marie. So lovely. Hoe nice to be able to walk along and see such beauty.

    And the quiche - yum! I hope you are having a great week!

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely looking quiche. I never knew that real men don't eat quiche. I do know that you shouldn't trust a man in a polo neck though! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quiche! It's like breakfast and pie together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so blessed this time of year. While I'm not living in eden like you are, there are still many blooms around that are lovely. Roses are very much in full bloom right now. I have one rose bush that is full of buds and a few are starting to open. I do love quiche too and I'll have to try that recipe you made. It sounds so good and full of more cheese than mine recipe calls for. I've put ham and onion in mine but now will have to add the peppers too. All my sons loved quiche too. I hope you have a great weekend. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH it looks SO good! Happy to hear you liked it! Your name is in the jar! New post will be up in a bit. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful you are so much further along than we are up here in Scotland we are still having grass frost at night very late even for us and it has nipped my busy Lizzies (Impatients) something awful. Have a good weekend. Love Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS garden glimpses, Marie...thanks for taking us along on your walk! Peonies just coming into bloom here...Your new illustration is adorable-sooo cute! Oh, yes, men do eat quiche...My hubby loves quiche. In fact, I have a quiche planned for our dinner this weekend. :o) Rain today, getting chores done so I can fun and do some crafting this weekend. Hubby is working this weekend :o( Hope you all have a lovely weekend. LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, well, everybody knows that men are fibbers! Keith LOVES quiche and you can use almost any combination of ingredients that you have in the fridge.

    Isn't Gold Top (Channel Islands) Milk half and half? I've never had any but I thought that was the only sort they hadn't got around to stealing the cream off. I could be wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My real man eats quiche too! And that one looks FANTASTIC! I want to make it asap! I love your new painting "Celebrate." Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quiche looks so good! I like all of the cheese in it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!