Wednesday 17 June 2009

Wednesday morning thoughts . . .




Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity:
for God loveth a cheerful giver.
~2 Corinthians 9:7

There is a well known American Opera singer called Beverly Sills. I don't think there are many people who have not heard of her or have not heard her wonderful voice. What a lot of people don't know though, is that she is also known as "the special mother to special children." She is the mother of two children who were born with disabilities, and she has used her fame to help raise many millions of dollars to help families in the same position.



When asked about happiness one time, she replied, "I'm not happy. I'm cheerful. There is a difference. A happy woman has no cares at all. A cheerful woman has cares, but has learned how to deal with them."

I like that explanation, and it makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps God loves a cheerful giver more because He sees the pain in the giver's heart that makes the smile all the more precious . . .

Just my thoughts for today.



Oh my goodness, but I made a delicious chicken dish for our supper last night. The original recipe comes from Cooking Light, but I have adapted it to our own tastes and have developed my own way of cooking it. Originally it called for grilling the chicken, but I think I like my way better.



*Sticky Spiced Chicken Thighs*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I love chicken thighs because they are always moist and have a lot of flavour. In this recipe they are rubbed with a wonderfully tasty mix of spices before cooking and then glazed in a delicious sweet and sour honey glaze. We love this. It is a recipe I adapted from a Cooking Light one. In the original recipe the thighs were grilled, but in mine, I gently glaze them in a pan on top of the stove.

Spice rub:
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to your taste)

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any fat
nonstick cooking spray
6 TBS honey
2 tsp cider vinegar



Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl, mixing well together. Remove your chicken from the package and trim off any visible fat. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, coating it well on both sides. Spray a large non stick skillet with a bit of the cooking spray. Heat the pan and once it is hot add the chicken pieces a few at a time, browning each well on both sides. Once they are all browned, return them all to the pan. Whisk together the honey and vinegar. Pour this mixture over top of the chicken thighs, reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken juices run clear. Remove the lid and turn the heat up under the pan. Continue to cook, turning and glazing the chicken thighs in the pan juices until they have thickend quite considerably and the chicken is coated nicely in a tasty glaze. Remove from the heat and serve.



We had pilau rice and a green bean salad on the side. Delicious! If you would like the recipe for that tasty salad, hop on over to The English Kitchen. It's a real winner too!


8 comments:

  1. What a lovely looking dinner. I will surely have to try it. I am sure that the chicken is devine and your green bean side dish looks beautiful.

    I love your thoughts on being cheerful vs. being happy. I have not heard that definition before but it surely makes good sense to me. I will try to always be cheerful...even on days that I may not be especially happy. Thanks for the good advice.

    Tonight I am not too happy about the way US Airways is treating me. Please hop over to my blog and give me your opinion.

    I would really appreciate it if you and maybe some of your readers would vote on the poll on my blog.

    It may not help my cause but I would really like to know what you think.

    Thanks dear.... and have a nice day. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali from Ireland17 June 2009 at 12:11

    Yummy, yummy, yummy - this is one I definitely have to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie
    I like those thoughts. We are going through a very stressful time and it would be telling a lie to say I am happy right now. I trust in my God that he has my best interests at heart. I can be cheerful in the midst of it. Over my kitchen sink I have written "This is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it".
    Thanks for the good words today.
    Hugs Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that distinction between happy and cheerful. Tath is how I see my daughter, Jen, as she deals with all the spina bifada issues with Hazel. There is heartache there but she has been very cheerful and good-natured about it. She adores her little one and that brings cheerfulness and joy in the midst of some pretty heavy afflictions. Jen has a pioneering spirit and she is a very hard worker. Being of good cheer is absolutely imperative when you have heavy burdens. It is a means of surviving things that could potentially bring your world crashing down around you. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie:
    Your dinner looks so wonderful I just know we must try it...and speaking of food, you need to get your local pizza delivery phone number and give them a call. As busy as you are, ordering out for a pizza seems just the ticket for you. We don't do it often, and we've never done it when staying in a hotel before, but it was a blast...I highly recommend it!!!
    Darien agrees! As for high tea, next time we get you over here we have a date for high tea. You name the time and place and you and I and Kris and of course Lura will have a tea party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH,HA....I like the way that Beverly explained happy verses cheerful. It actually made sense.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try that chicken. It looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's another one I missed! I'm glad I kept trying though because you always manage to write the very thing that strikes a chord with so many people, me for one.

    The chicken recipe sounds lovely but I will have to use chicken breasts I'm afraid because I just can't stand leg meat.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!