Friday 31 July 2009

Honest and Hard Working . . .



A certain young man rushed into a service station one day and asked the manager if he had a pay telephone and would he be able to use it.

"Sure," the manager replied, "It's over there." He nodded towards a telephone on the wall over in the corner.

The boy walked over to the telephone, pushed in a few coins, and then waited for an answer as the telephone rung on the other end. Finally someone answered.



"Hello sir", he said in a rather deep voice. "Could you use an honest, hardworking young man to work for you?"

The station manager could not help but hear what was going on. After a moment or two, he heard the boy reply . . .

"Oh, you already have an honest and hardworking young man working for you . . . well, okay, thanks just the same!" And, with that, he hung up the phone.



As he turned to face the station manager, one couldn't help noticing that he had a wide grin plastered across his face. He started back to his car, humming a tune, quite obviously very happy.

"Hey, wait a minute!" the station manager called after him. "I couldn't help but over hear the conversation you just had. Why are you so happy??? It sounded to me like that man already had someone working for him who was honest and hardworking?"

"Well," said the young man as he smiled at the grizzly old station manager, " you see, I am the honest hardworking young man that works for him. I was just checking up to see how well I was doing my job!"



I hope that I am the kind of person what would be considered hardworking and honest in all my dealings with others. I try to be at any rate! I'm not about to phone and ask!!

I made us a lovely soup for our supper last night. It's been very cold these past few days. Much more like October than the end of July! Whatever has happened to our summer??? I had some courgettes that I needed to use up so I made some delicious courgette dinner muffins to go along with it. I ended up with enough to pop them into the freezer for another meal, as well as some soup to go along with it. It's always nice to have a meal or two stored in the freezer that you can take out when time is short and lacking in inspiration. For those of you who don't know, a courgette is a zucchini!



*Jumbo Courgette and Basil Dinner Muffins*
Makes 6 large muffins
Printable Recipe

I have used courgettes many times in sweet loaf breads and in casserole. It also makes an amazingly moist dinner muffin. I love the flavour that the basil and cheese gives to it. They go well with eggs, hot soups and salads.

2 1.2 cups plain flour
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
the grated zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
2 large eggs
3 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Pernod Liqueur (Optional, if not using use 1 tsp of Anise extract in it's place)
1 1.4 cups of grated courgette, drained well
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese + more for sprinkling (optional)



Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Grease six oversized (Texas) muffin tins. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.

In another bowl beat together the eggs, buttermilk, olive oil and liqueur or anise. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients over top. Fold together with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Do not over mix. The mix will be lumpy. Fold in the courgette, cheese and basil.

Spoon into the prepared muffin cups until just level with the top of the pan. (Sprinkle some more cheese over top if desired.) Bake in the centre of the oven until the tops are lightly browned and they spring back when lightly touched, or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. This should take 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack. Serve warm. These are best on the day served, but can be frozen for up to 3 months for longer storage.



If you'd like to see the recipe for this delicious soup that I made to go along with these tantalizingly delicious muffins, pop on over to The English Kitchen.




9 comments:

  1. You taught me something today, Marie(not like it is the first time). My Mother used to make Zuke bread(that is what we called it, much less glamorous than your word) and I had no idea of the other name. I'd never heard of Pernod either. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever would the day be like if it wasn't for you bolstering me up with good food and a smile.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come here daily knowing there will be much to smile about...and good food to rattle the belly--thank you, dear Marie! :o) And just love today's recipe...I love a savory muffin or biscuit with lunch or soup...mmm...Happy weekend to you all there. LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed the flower and butterfly pictures today! I love zucchini, but my fella does not. This recipe would be a good way to disguise them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be honest with you Marie.Not read this story before but I certainly would try it if I worked now Heeeeee.Not seen this recipe either it looks delicious my kind of food Mmmmmmm.Catch you after my break.I don't open cards before the day but I know one which came in the post is yours.I recognised the hand writing.So a million thankyou's.Luv Ya.Regards to Todd hope he is well. Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a great way to get some veggies into Ben! He's been trying to lose weight but is used to the S. style of cooking veggies--WITh LARD! So this would combine his love of bread with healthyness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And thanks for your sweet words at my feature at I Pick Pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great way to enjoy some zucchini. I like all the green flecks in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of work, Marie you are one busy woman! Always working at your job, your dinner preparations, your painting, your beautiful photography, your church calling, and your beautiful inspiring blog. Thank you for all you do. And these muffins look heavenly..I am keeping this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!