Thursday 16 July 2009

Lessons Life Has Taught Me . . .



This is a picture taken in our front garden when I was about six and my sister was three. I absolutely love this picture. As you can see from the very beginning we were the best of friends! Yesterday I got this e-mail from a good friend and like a good friend decided I wanted to share part of it with you. I've also added my own two cents worth to it. How could I not!

Lessons Life Has Taught Me

Age5: I learned that I like my teacher because she cries when we sing “Silent Night.”

Age 7: I learned that our dog doesn’t want to eat my broccoli either. It's also no good hiding minced beef under the carpet when your mother isn't looking.....she's bound to find it the first time she hoovers.

Age 9: I learned that when I wave to people in the country, they stop what they are doing and wave back.

Age 12: I learned that just when I get my room the way I like it, Mom makes me clean it all up again.

Age 14: I learned that if you want to cheer yourself up, you should try cheering someone else up.

Age 15: I learned that, although it’s hard to admit it, I’m secretly glad my parents are strict with me.

Age 19: I learned that silent company is often more healing than words of advice.

Age 23: I learned that brushing my child's hair is one of life’s great pleasures.

Age 24: I learned that nothing can beat the feeling of two little arms around the neck, accompanied with the words "I love you mummy."

Age 25: I learned that wherever I go, the world’s worst drivers have followed me there.

Age 29: I learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.

Age 30: I leaned that there are people who love you dearly but just don’t know how to show it.

Age 31: I learned that you can make someone’s day by simply sending them a little note, or giving them a quick call, or even something so simple as a smile and a hello.

Age 32: I learned that the greater a person’s sense of guilt, the greater his or her need to cast blame on others. (I lived that reality for 22 years before I escaped)

Age 35: I learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it willbe better tomorrow. Time indeed heals all wounds.

Age 36: I learned that singing "I stand all Amazed" can life my spirits for hours.

Age 37: I learned that motel mattresses are better on the side away from the phone.

Age 38: I learned that you can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. (None of which my ex husband handled very well)

Age 39: I learned that keeping a vegetable garden is worth a medicine cabinet full of pills. Digging in the earth is good for the soul.

Age 40: I learned that making a living is not the same as making a life.

Age 41: I learned that if you want to do something positive for your children, work to improve your marriage. I also learned that it takes two to make it work. One can't do it all by themself.

Age 43: I learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance....or a third or a fourth...never give up.

Age 44: I learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You sometimes need to be able to throw something back.

Age 45: I learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But if you focus on your family, the needs of others, your work, meeting new people and doing the very best you can…happiness finds you.

Age 46: I learned that whenever I decide something with kindness, I usually make the right decision. If all your actions are tempered with love, you can't go wrong.

Age 47: I learned that everyone can use a prayer, and that being able to pray helps me most of all. It's a win/win situation!

Age 48: I learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.

Age 49: I learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch-holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

Age 50: I learned that the birth of a grandchild is even sweeter than the birth of your own child. There is something very rich in knowing the circle of life has begun yet again.

Age 52: I learned I still have a lot to learn.


Over in North America a pudding isn't just another name for dessert...it's what we call a deliciously rich and sweet flavoured custard that's cooked on top of the stove. It comes in all kinds of flavours....vanilla, chocolate, pistachio, banana, coconut...and best of all butterscotch. You can buy packets you can cook yourself at home....you can even buy instant packets that you don't have to cook at all...but I think the best version of all is the one you make yourself, using your own two hands and throwing in a pinch of love. That's a flavour that can't be beat!




*Creamy Butterscotch Pudding*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

There is something about butterscotch pudding that speaks to the soul. It is home, love and comfort all rolled up into one sinfully rich and creamy dessert that smacks of wonderful buttery and caramel flavours. Deliciously pleasing on any level, it‘s worth all the trouble to make.

3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup double cream

1/2 cup (packed) soft light brown sugar
1/3 cup cornflour
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole fat milk

4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence

OPTIONAL TOPPING:

4 bananas, sliced
Whipped cream
1/2 cup English toffee bits

Mix the caster sugar and the water together in a heavy medium sized saucepan. Cook, stirring, over low heat until the sugar completely dissolves. Turn heat up to high and boil without stirring until the sugar turns an amber colour. Watch carefully as it turns very quickly when it starts and you don’t want to burn it. Take it off the heat as soon as it begins to turn amber. Carefully stir in the cream right away. It will bubble up furiously, so be careful. Stir until smooth and set aside.

Combine the brown sugar, cornflour and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk. Set pan over simmering water and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Whisk in the caramel sauce. Beat the egg yolks and temper them whisking in 1 cup of the hot mixture, then gradually whisk it back into the cooked mixture. Set back over the simmering water and bring the mixture back to simmer whilst whisking. Cook for a further minute, then whisk in the pieces of butter and the vanilla essence. Remove from the heat and divide amongst 8 dessert dishes. Chill until cold, approximately 6 hours or up to one day.
Serve garnished with banana slices, whipped cream and toffee bits. I prefer mine unadulterated and plain….ahhhhh…. bliss.


18 comments:

  1. If I was having any of this - WHICH I'M NOT - I'd prefer it unadulterated too. Maybe a little coconut sprinkled on. We must be the only country in the world that calls dessert 'pudding'I remember for a period of about 2 years in early grammar school days we were forbidden to use the term pudding because a French-Canadian girl was temporarily in school while her family got settled in Sri Lanka and they didn't want to confuse her! We were the confused ones!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lessons!

    We're going to the beach Saturday with Ben's parents--it's a place in Flordia called treasure Island! We'll be back next weekend! Have fun on the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic entry –such wise words! I had to comment! The lessons that really stood out to me are Aged 30, 32, 35, 39, 40, 46 and 49.
    Aged 30 because I sometimes get disappointed in people and then realise everyone is not going to be exactly the same as me – difficult to accept that one sometimes.
    Aged 32 – often find this is the case when arguing with my loved ones – interesting to see it written here and I think I will turn this one over in my mind a little while now…
    Aged 35 – Totally, totally agree with this. If you are down in the dumps, you can’t remain in that mood forever –it isn’t physically possible- I look in the mirror and tell myself that when I’m crying. Half an hour later maybe your attention will shift a little – you’ll grow hungry, the weather will change, someone will call, a different thought will enter your mind and your mood will fluctuate. Time does take you away from it all naturally.
    Aged 39 – wise wise words – I love this one particularly!
    Aged 40 – trying to put this one into practise every day of my life!!!
    Aged 46 – so so true – I think it is very important to be a kind person and do what you can whenever you can. And Aged 49 – very important – not only will it make the world of difference to someone else but you will feel good as well.
    Thanks for sharing such wisdom and I love the following recipe too – will have to make that sometimes! Love butterscotch! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cats like broccoli. LOL on the worlds worst drivers.
    And "48" is something I try to live by. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. so enjoy your posts... very wise words and always a relief to know someone else feels the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a lovely blog. I like this post of yours on the various stages of lessons :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an adorable post of you and your little sister. Great lesson on learning as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this. I'm sure I'll spend the next few days thinking about what I've learned over the years. I do so love visiting with you each morning. I'm a faithful reader but not so hot on commenting since I've been so sick, but I wanted you to know that comment or not, you are part of my morning ritual and a very pleasant part at that. Thanks for your wisdom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture of you ans Sis Maries I have seen often in your journal and blog. It's beautiful.Theres such a lot here Marie I so agree with.NO we are never too old to learn.I am still learning at 63 next month yes we are both Leo's LOL!!.The pudding sounds a little too rich for my stomach but I hope all your followers ENJOY if they make some.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to think these things and pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coudn't wait to see what you learned at 43. And isn't that the truth!

    I've enjoyed catching up from the past week or so. Looks like you've had a lot of fun. Made some great food, and are enjoying the beautiful season.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, these are all so profound and i sat and seriously thought about some of these. thanks for teaching me all of these at the age of 28-i feel ahead now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wise words of wisdom! Isn't it true how much we can learn from just living life! Loved the pictures of you and your sister and hope you two are still best of friends forever! Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVELY POST MARIE!!! I love it Im learning still too and Im 55 !!plop!

    Dear this recipe look delicious and yummy, I hope you and Todd are so well. I missed you in my blog but is nice you have a wonderful holidays!! huggsss Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful advice Marie! And so true! I laughed at the one about the worst drivers - haha!

    Your pudding sounds divine. I love pudding - my husband - not so much. So I hardly ever have the chance to make it. Maybe I'll try it the next time he's out of town!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Just found you and am so glad I did. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Marie, made me chuckle in places!

    Got to try this pudding, one of Paul's favourites!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!