Friday 3 July 2009

The Love of Books . . .



Between the ages of five and 10 I lived on a small airforce base in Manitoba, Canada. During the summer holidays I practically lived in the base library. I didn't often get there during the main school year, except on Saturdays, but in the summertime you could find me there just about every day. You were only allowed to take out one book at a time if you were a child and I was a voracious reader, so I'd be back and forth every day for a new book. I am sure they were quite sick of seeing me!



There is something really special about a library. They all seem to smell the same . . . a mixture of leather, paper and glue. The air is heavy with an aura of respect and reverence, quite like entering a cathedral in a way . . . everyone speaking in hushed tones, dulcet whispers and pages turning the only sounds, periodically interrupted by the heavy tap of the librarian's date stamp!

To get to the library of my childhood you had to travel down a long pathway that ran alongside of some railway tracks that were carefully set apart by a tall wire fence, topped with barbed wire. I can remember seeing bats hanging by their toes all along this fence and would ride my bicycle very quickly past them, my hands trembling and one arm desperately covering my long hair, the other hand clutching on to my bicycle hand bar tenaciously, as I was very afraid that they would fly into my hair. It's a wonder I ever made it past them without falling down or worse! I had read somewhere that bats will get themselves into your hair and get all tangled up . . . and I was taking no chances!



As a girl, I loved the tales of Enid Blyton. Her fairy stories were marvelous. I devoured them like a hungry man at a banquet. I also loved her tales of the Famous Five and Secret Seven. All her books carried my child's mind on adventures to faraway places that I could only ever dream of seeing and her characters got to eat wonderful sounding food, such as cherry cakes, ginger beer, and cheese and onion sandwiches. As a child growing up in Canada, these far off places sounded very exotic and it seemed quite wonderful to be able to have your very own parrot named Kiki!!



I also loved Nancy Drew and I believe I read just about every book in that series, some of them several times. She was my hero. She was pretty and smart and there was no mystery she could not solve. I fancied being just like her when I grew up.



Then there were the Bobbsey Twins, Nan and Bert, Freddie and Flossie . . . they lived in a bit house and had a cook/housekeeper and a handyman/man of work, something very far removed from any of my own experience in life. They got into adventures and scrapes too, which also helped to fuel my childhood dreams and aspirations.



Trixie Beldon was another one of my lives as were the great classics such as Little Women, Alice in Wonderland, and one of my all time favourites, The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

When I ran out of books to pick from the library, I would read our own encyclopaedia, the Book of Knowledge. It sat in a corner of the living room in our home in it's very own wooden bookcase. I believe I must have read it from cover to cover more than once. It was full of wonderfully interesting facts and loads of fascinating pictures. As well we had a small series of books on all the countries of the world, full of all sorts of pictures and information. I devoured these as well, their pages taking me to far off places in my mind that I one day hoped to be able to see in person . . .



As a teenager, I fell in love with the adventures of the British temptress, Amber St Clare in the novel entitled Forever Amber, and I used to eat up Harlequin Romance books as quickly as they could print them.

My love of books and reading is something I have carried with me my whole life. I am always reading one, or two or sometimes even three books at a time. Todd can't understand how I can keep track of so many plots. I guess I'm just a genius!! hahaha. I think the truth is that I get bored very easly and so my mind likes to skip around a bit. Perhaps it's my love of the written word that inspires me in a way to want to write my own words. I don't know. I only know for sure that my life would be a life only half lived without the written word to inpsire and enthrall me, and the library has always been the best and cheapest way of fueling my voracious appetite for reading.



I think I remember reading somewhere at one time that it was Benjamin Franklin who invented the lending library. Is this true? I guess it doesn't really matter who invented them, it only matters that they have brought countless hours of joy into my life and the lives of many others. Kudos to them, whomever they may be!

I am a great lover of Mexican inspired food. Tacos, nachos, burritos, enchiladas . . . when Mexican in on the menu, I'm one very happy camper! I'm slowly converting Todd as well, or at least he never complains when I make something of that nature for dinner. He's quite good really, he eats pretty much everything I set down in front of him and very rarely complains . . . unless it is pasta. Then he always reminds me he is not fond of Italian food . . .



Chicken Enchilada Lasagna*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

I just love this Tex Mex favourite! Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off from making it. It's quite easy to make and very, very delicious. Well worth the effort and time!

2 TBS vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (or use canned)
1/2 cup canned chopped green chilies (can roast and chop your own)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
salt and pepper to taste

For the bechamel:
3 TBS butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies (can roast and chop your own)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (Can use mild cheddar or gouda where Jack cheese is not available)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

In addition:
12 (6 inch) corn or flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (can use mild cheddar or gouda)
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
sour cream and tomato salsa to garnish, if desired

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup of onion and the garlic, and saute until soft. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup green chilies, cumin and coriander and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.

To make the bechamel, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When it is foaming, add the 1/2 cup onion and the garlic, and cook for about five minutes until the onion is translucent and soft, stirring frequently. Do not brown. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes or so. Add the 1/4 cup of green chilies, sour cream and the cheeses. Season to taste and set aside.

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Cut the tortillas into quarters. Place a layer of them in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon on 1/2 of the chicken mixture, spreading it out evenly. Pour 1/3 of the bechamel sauce over top. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheeses. Add another layer of tortillas, the last half of the chicken, 1/3 of the bechamel and another 1/3 of the cheese. Top with a final layer of tortillas, the last of the bechamel and the last of the cheese, sprinkling it evenly over top. Bake in the heated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, until it is heated through and bubbly, and lightly browned on top.

Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve. Garnish each serving with some salsa and sour cream if desired. Delicious!

PS - This also freezes very well. As there are only the two of us, I cut it into individual servings and wrap each one individually in strong plastic wrap. Then I pop them into a bag and into the freezer. I can then take out however many servings I want at a later date, thaw them out and heat them up. You can either use the microwave or the oven. I prefer the oven, about 160*C/325*F for 25 to 30 minutes, covered, and uncovered the last five minutes of cooking time.



To check out what was for dessert . . . mosey on over to The English Kitchen. Scrumdiddlyumptious!!!


16 comments:

  1. Oh Marie,

    Once again you have tugged my heart strings. Books are so precious and if I had space I would hoard each and every one. Thank you for the trip down memory lane....I think we may have read many of the same books as children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, Lovely,lovely post you know I really love books!!! so much!! I could be reading all the time!! I suffer when I cannot!!
    I read Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Jane Austen I love all!
    I dream to live in a house as Little women!We read the same, and I love these books .....still!
    Love ya! huggsss!!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think you were my sister in other life!! kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always seem to have more than one book on the go, I also hate finishing a good book so I try and put off reading to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Marie! Especially loved this book-filled post. You know how much I love reading. And I've been a life-long lover of books. Going to the library always seemed like a special treat...and it still feels that way. Little Women was one of my favorites growing up, as was Anne of Green Gables. Jane Austen in my early teens made huge impression that's turned into obsession today--LOL! Reading a few pages of something at the end of each day, I always feel better. Right now I'm really enjoying re-discovering the classics of English Literature. Very nice recipe today...Hubby would love this one. Can't wait to see what's cooking your English Kitchen. Hope you & dear Todd have a great weekend ahead. I will be away from the computer this weekend, but hope to send you a note before you go away early next week. LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! Nancy Drew! Marie, was that you or me in the book? They were the best! I treasure my copies and especially the very first one as it was given to my by my Auntie! That recipe smells so good, I know it has to taste out of this world!

    Hugs,
    winnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear,
    We got home from the temple a little later than usual. About midnight I hopped on line thinking I would be the first in line to greet you but I didn't find you. I hope that means you were getting a little extra sleep on this fine Fri.

    I agree with Suzan..this post tugs at my heart strings too. I was not as avid a reader as you but I did start to enjoy reading in 5th grade. My friends and I formed a book club. We read every Nancy Drew book as soon as they arrived on the shelves. We also loved the Sue Barton student nurse series. What fun we had imagining ourselves in their places....solving mysteries or nursing mankind. I surely wish that I had all of those old books today. I would love to share them with my granddaughters.

    I always have a book that I am reading on my bed table. I find a new book before I get to the end of the one I am reading. I can't stand the idea of not having a new book ready to dive into as soon as I finish what ever I am reading. However, I usually only read one at a time. Lately I have been reading two...Into the Light.... and... Sense and Sensibility. I borrowed Into the Light from a friend so I need to return it before too long... and the Jane Austin book was our book club choice for the month. Normally I only read one at a time. Since I am not a reading genius like you I prefer to have only one plot swimming around in my head at a time.

    Speaking of genius... I am always impressed with your vocabulary. You often put in cooking terms I don't know. Today the mystery word is bechamel. Now mind you, I taught cooking classes for 12 years and have never heard of bechamel. ??? I can see that it is a type of gravy...but bechamel???
    Yep, you are a genius.

    How is Terri? I am praying for her.

    I know that you are excited getting ready to leave for your wonderful trip. I will miss you but I am happy you are going on this wonderful adventure.

    Well, I have written a book on this comment.... oh well, I guess that is ok sense you like to read... and always have several books going at a time.

    Luv Ya Lots,..Lura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, reading. How many adventures we can have that way. I wish I had more time for reading, or I should say took more time. I go in streaks...most of the time I have a few going at once. It is such a let down when a good book ends, isn't it?

    Loved your photos on Facebook~speaking of "books".

    I love Mexican food too. I have gotten some wonderful authentic recipes over the year. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. libraries and mexican food in one post-you are my kind of gal marie! :) those are two of my life's loves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We share the love of Nancy Drew which I also read as a child and Mexican food. YUM!!! Lovely post; I love the way you describe libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Marie - I was just the same!!! Your blog brought it all back - I absolutely loved Enid Blyton and devoured all her books. In fact, I saw myself as a budding author and used to write stories myself all the time - I even had an epic 'School' story printed in our Junior School magazine (when I was 10).

    Oh - and the Bobbsey Twins too - I loved them as well, though I never read Nancy Drew - I can see I was missing out there!!

    I also love Little Women and Jo's Boys etc, and also the 'What Katy Did' books.

    They were happy days - thanks for the memories. Love, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can conjure up now the smell of the tiny library I used when I was a child. We were allowed up to 3 books from the grown-ups section but only 1 from children's. Isn't that daft?

    I must be the only English child to have read any Bobbsey Twins! There was one - I think it was called The Old Calliope. That word 'calliope' intrigued me for years. I just could not find what it was! There was no google then!

    We were not allwed to play anywhere other than our own street, but no-one ever knew what a well-travelled little girl I was!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. TWO THINGS WE HAVE IN COMMON..LOVE OF BOOKS AND MEXICAN FOOD!! ENID BLYTON WAS MY FAV GROWING UP TOO...AHHHH THE FAMOUS FIVE..AND THE MALLORY TOWERS SERIES WAS ANOTHER FAV...

    SUCH MEMORIES....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post, Marie. You know I love books. And you loved Forever Amber too? It was probably considered racy in its time, but I remember it fondly, something I read when I was in my early 20's. And your descriptions of the library visits - so very poignant. Brought back fun memories of my frequent trips to libraries. When I was in Junior High, I volunteered every afternoon in the school library. I even considered studying to be a librarian, but changed my mind. Thanks for the fun memories, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like doing TexMex style lasagnas. They are just packed with flavour ans oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!