Friday 4 September 2009

A grin for the day . . .

what%2527s in a smile Pictures, Images and Photos

There's something quite valuable about being able to work with people you feel totally comfortable and at home with. It makes for a much happier and more relaxed work environment.

I am very blessed with just such a situation myself. The people I work with could not be nicer than they are.

I heard a little story about a Yorkshire lass who had just started work at a Junior School. After only a few days, she fell and damaged her two front teeth. Unfortunately the Dentist was unable to save them, and so he had to remove them. She was told that it could take a week or two for crowns to be fitted. Oh my, but, was she distressed. She had no idea of how she was going to be able to cope with the embarassment and shame of standing in front of a class with two missing front teeth.

The headmistress was able to reassure her in the end though . . .

"It will help you a lot." She said. "When you start work in the morning, just notice how many of the children have front teeth missing. They will feel as if you are one of them, and you will feel quite at home amongst them."

I can't help thinking though . . . that's quite a high price to pay for popularity!!!



I set this lovely Ragu sauce on the stove early yesterday afternoon and set to work planning my Seminary Lesson. (I know, I left it so late to do, but it couldn't be helped. I vow to do better next week) Anyways, at the end of the afternoon, we were rewarded with a delicious and versatile sauce and had a lovely supper of it.



I had mine with pasta (my great love) and the old spoil sport had his with mash. What can you do? It would seem that there are some areas where it is totally impossible to teach an old dog new tricks! Never mind . . . we both enjoyed it immensely. (I don't want any Italians writing to me and telling me I have it all wrong . . . this is the way I do it and love it!)



*Marie's Special Ragu Sauce*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

This tasty recipe is the culmination of years of testing and perfecting. I think I have it down to about perfect now, well, almost. I am sure there are some as would say something different, but for us this is the best. Perfect to serve with pasta, or layered in a casserole dish and topped with mashed potato as a cottage pie, or even layered with cheeses and cooked like lasagna. If you have a pot of this on the stove, you have a few different choices. I always have containers of this in the freezer that I can pull out in a pinch!

1 large carrot, peeled
1 stick of celery
1 large onion, peeled
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled
a knob of butter
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS dried Oregano
1 TBS dried basil
1 bay leaf
800g minced beef (I use extra lean)
75 ml of milk
75 ml of cream
150ml of red wine
1 - 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
a pinch of chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
450 ml of beef stock



Cut the vegetables into chunks and feed into the food processor. Chop into fine bits. Melt the butter along with the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped vegetables and cook over medium low heat, stirring from time to time until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the herbs and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add the meat, breaking it up with a spoon. Increase the heat and cook until the meat has started to brown somewhat. Turn heat to medium low. Whisk together the milk and cream. Add by the TBS, allowing each addition to be absorbed by the meat mixture. Add the bay leaf. Pour in the red wine. Boil, until it has been reduced by half. Turn the heat down again and add the tomatoes and chili flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer over very low heat for about an hour. Check to make sure it isn't catching. If it is, add a bit of stock.

Add the stock, in small amounts, cooking until each amount of stock has been reduced to about half. Cook for at least another hour. You may need more stock. The result should be very rich and loose. Skim any fat off the top and serve in your preferred manner.



We were in a bit of a slump after that, and to find out how, look HERE! (It was a rather tasty slump . . . I promise you!!)


10 comments:

  1. Good morning dear,
    We just got home from the Temple. I really enjoy going two days a week but I got really tired tonight. I think it might be better if we subbed on Tue instead of Wed. Two days in a row with so much standing wears me out...which seems odd since just two years ago I used to stand almost all day every day teaching and then taught a college class at night and stood for 3 more hours.

    I fell flat on my face out in our patio 3 years ago the week before school and had to start school with a black eye and a cut swollen lip and nose. I looked a mess but at least my teeth were not knocked out. How sad for that teacher.

    Your ragu looks so good. I wish I had some right now.

    Well, my bed is calling me. My eyes are hard to keep open. I will say goodnight from my side of the world and send you love. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that makes me smile. I just love that little cartoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pasta looks and sounds delicious. I would go for the pasta too. Thanks for the SMILES today. It's always a great way to start any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to pass the Ragu jar at the grocery and try this wonderful recipe this week.

    I'd love to share the following link with you that arrived this morning in my email from a dear friend. I think you'll have to retype it, but the story is wonderful and made me think of you.

    An Iowa friend,
    Nancy

    http://cbs5.com/video/?id=34078@kpix.dayport.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are having a very happy Friday, Marie! Hope you are doing better and will have a good weekend ahead--thinking of you! And hope we can catch up sometimes soon for a chat. Hubby would love this ragu of yours...we love pasta! :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, your sauce sounds so good Marie. Spaghetti is a favorite at our house - my kids will love that sauce. Thanks!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like using chile flakes in my sauce, too! That little oomph is a nice addition... When I get lazy and use store bought sauce, I always pick out the spicy red pepper sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cute story:) and OUCH, that would hurt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the American Girl7 September 2009 at 01:04

    That sauce looks yummy...I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!