Tuesday 15 September 2009

Flaky Apple Turnovers . . .



My long two-pointed ladder's sticking through a tree

Toward heaven still,
And there's a barrel that I didn't fill
Beside it, and there may be two or three
Apples I didn't pick upon some bough.
But I am done with apple-picking now.
~Robert Frost, After Apple Picking

Welcome to the Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 edition of Tuesdays With Dorie, that fantabulous baking group which gets together each week and bakes the same fantastic recipe from that totally delightful baking book, Baking, from my home to yours, by the equally as fantastic Ms Dorie Greenspan. We each post our results on the same day . . . Tuesday . . . hence the reason it's called Tuesdays With Dorie!

If you have sussed that this week's recipe has something to do with apples, then Bingo! You are right! This week Julie of Someone’s in the Kitchen picked Flaky Apple Turnovers, pages 316 and 317. Yay Julie, something that isn't chocolate and that uses one of my favourite ingredients! Not to mention something that is very dear and close to Todd's heart . . . apples and pie (or close enough to at any rate), for what is a turnover except that it be a baby pie just for you!

You can't beat that.



I have a confession to make right up front. I made my own pastry because like a dummie I left this to the last minute I was short on time and only had a couple of hours to get this done in yesterday. My pastry recipe is not flakey like puff pastry or anything, it's just plain old pastry. But it works and is quick and easy. So there you have it, confession number one.




I have another confession to make. I kicked these up a notch. Dorie said something in the playing around column about making them with berries or other fruits and jam . . . I thought jam . . . why not . . . and so I added a couple of spoons of Ginger conserve to my chopped fruit, with a most delicious result! These were fabulous!



Confession number three. I was in a rush and so I didn't faff around with folding pastry over and making traditional turnover shapes. I just made these tiny double crust pies, but cutting my pastry into rounds, plopping some of the filling down onto half the rounds and topping it with another round. I crimped it all around the edges and then brushed with some milk and sprinkled some demerara sugar on top after I had pricked them with a fork. Yummo!



They may not be pretty, but they sure be some good!



Thanks so much Julie for picking such a delicious recipe. I will make the pastry one day but I just didn't have the time yesterday to be faffing about! If you would like to have a look at the recipe please pop on over to Julie's page. Also if you'd like to see how all the other ladies did then make sure you check out the Tuesdays With Dorie Blog roll!



Next week Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes has decided on Cottage Cheese Pufflets, on pages 148 and 149. Sounds interesting to say the least!!

Here's my pastry recipe if any of you are interested. You can't beat the old Purity Flour Cookbook for good and simple recipes. I know many a Canadian cook that has cut her teeth on this one!



*Plain Pastry*
Makes 1 - 9inch double crust pie, or 2 - 9inch pie crusts, or 12 to 14 medium sized tart shells
Printable Recipe

From the good old Purity Flour Cookbook.

Blend together
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in
3/4 cup vegetable shortening

Sprinkle with
4 to 5 tablespoons of cold water

Add the water one tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork until all the flour is dampened. Turn dough onto a piece of waxed paper and form into a ball. Chill if desired.

Using a lightly floured surface, preferably a pastry cloth, divide the pastry into two pieces and shape each half into a flattened ball. Roll lightly from the centre to the edge each time, until the pastry is about 1 inch larger than an inverted pie plate. If making tarts roll to 1/8 inch thickness.

In my case I just rolled it out to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out circles for the turnovers.



I didn't have time to make a regular dinner for us yesterday either. Poor old Todd got Beans on Toast, but done my way. Check it out on The English Kitchen.




18 comments:

  1. Ooooo...yummy! I love tart apples and anything with apples--these turnovers are scrummy, Marie! I'm sure Todd wasn't too put out over the baked beans on toast. ;o) Hope we get a chance to chat today... Miss you, my friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. I like the addition of the ginger -- would "kick it up a notch" to use a favorite phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ with you, Marie, I think your "faux turnovers" look beautiful. And I love that you put ginger preserves in them -- I always keep a jar of those preserves on hand because they're such a good addition to so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking tarts! I allmost made little pies like yours too..but I reached down and grasped that little bit of energy left in me and went for the triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your turnovers look lovely with the traitional pastry. And boosting the flavour with ginger conserve is a great idea. I'm adding that to my shopping list. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look just amazing! I love the idea of adding the ginger to the apple. Thanks for baking with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish my cottage was closer to yours so I could just watch you do this stuff. The little round turnovers are too pretty! You are so inspiring in the kitchen, Marie, and you make it look so fun. If I wasn't so afraid of eating it all...I'd try some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - those look so good! I hope you are having a great day Marie!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your version better!

    Ben loves beans on toast...esp. the toast part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last time I actually bothered to make lovely flaky pastry was at college - ever since then I've used the lovey, buttery frozen sort. Keith will eat it now but he would still rather have 'plain old pastry'.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your round turnovers look yummy. And, I love the ginger. I'll bet they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your faux turnovers look better than any real ones I would make, & your chicken recipe (from The English Kitchen) came out great(according to my guest) when I made it for a past journaling friend's visit. I usually eat apples in their natural form, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a turnover. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not pretty?!? Are you kidding me? Those look awesome! And ginger conserve = YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, they look wonderful! I love that you made little pies...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, your pastry looks nice and flaky too. And your apples look perfect.

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. they look GORGEOUS. Great idea of combining the jam with fruit, and one I might try sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!