Monday 28 September 2009

The Simple Woman's Day Book . . .



FOR TODAY, September 28th, 2009 ...

Outside My Window...

It is actually midnight, the night before. I can't sleep, which is really annoying. I am going to have to work all night tonight (Monday) and I need my sleep tonight more than ever . . . I hate it when that happens. So . . . outside my window, it is dark. Very, very dark.

I am thinking...
I'm actually wondering why it is you can be falling asleep in front of the telly and then when you get into bed . . . you wake right up. It just doesn't make sense.

I am thankful for...
I am so very thankful that this doesn't happen every night.

From the kitchen...
Hmmm . . . there's the muffins left over from yesterday, some crusty bread and a pile of cookbooks just sitting there waiting for me to pick something out of them to make. I think it's the old thing where you can't see the forest for the trees. I had found a delish looking recipe the other day for these cookies using meringue and saltines, but do you think I can find it now?

I am wearing...
Turquoise PJ's, with polka dot pants! Very comfy


I am creating...




I did something really cute earlier today. It's a Teddy Bear Angel. I will be listing her later on today in my Etsy Shop. She's just perfect for on the tree top, or even just standing still on your sideboard. I just adore her. What do you think of her?

I am going...
Well, all I have planned this week is Seminary on Thursday night. We have our Autumn General Conference this coming weekend. Because of the time difference we watch it either on a Satellite Broadcast at our Stake Centre, or as Todd and I do most often, on the computer in the comfort of our own home. I can't wait to see what our church leaders have to say to us.

I am reading...



I am reading The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer, and I am really enjoying it very much. It combines three of my loves . . . oriental history, mystery and romance. The Last Concubine is the story of a shogun, a princess and the three thousand women of the women’s palace - all of whom really existed - and of the civil war that brought their way of life to an end. Growing up deep in the mountains of rural Japan, Sachi has always felt different, her pale skin and fine features setting her apart from her friends and family. When at the age of eleven she is swept off to the women’s palace in the great city of Edo, her life changes forever, and when she is chosen as the young shogun’s concubine, it changes even more. But Black Ships have come from the west, bringing foreigners, and as civil war erupts, Sachi has to flee for her life. Rescued by a rebel warrior, she finds unknown feelings stirring within her, but before she dare dream of a life with him, she must unravel the mystery of her own origins - a mystery that encompasses a wrong so terrible it threatens to destroy her. I am only about 1/3 of the way through, so not much progress since last week really.

I am hoping...
That when I am finished here I will be able to go to bed and fall asleep. Do you think I might get lucky? I think it's all in my head. I started worrying that I wouldn't be able to sleep last week, when I found out I was going to have to pull an all nighter on Monday night . . .

I am hearing...
It's all very quiet . . . the clock is ticking. Jess is snoring. My keys are tapping . . .

Around the house...
Not too much going on really. Some weeks are just like that. I think it's a good thing to have a lazy week once in a while.


One of my favorite things...
is collecting cream and sugar dishes. I have a number of them. I've mostly picked them up at yard sales through the years. I doubt they are worth much, except to me. I just adore them. Kind of useless really though since I don't drink tea and coffee. They do make a nice decoration though . . .

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Work, painting and cooking, Seminary and Conference. Todd and I thought as well if it was fine on Saturday we might drive down to Eastbourne and go for a long walk along the seafront, and maybe a treat of fish and chips!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



Something yellow from the garden. It's mostly filled with dead heads and dry seed pods now. The Autumn is in full swing, but there are odd bits of colour here and there!!

And there you have it, my Simple Woman's Day Book for today. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)


Here's a tasty recipe your family will enjoy! Big and small kids alike!



*Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Pie*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

All the kids, both big and small will love this tasty dish which includes all the flavours of their favourite cheeseburger.

Meat Crust:
1 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup tomato catsup
2 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Topping:
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 TBS grated onion
1 cup of grated strong cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
a bit of warm milk
a knob of butter
To Garnish:
1/2 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
3 slices of streaky bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
1 medium tomato chopped
Sliced dill pickles (optional)



Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Mix all the ingredients for the meat crust in a medium sized bowl, mixing well with your hands. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an un-greased 9 inch glass pie plate.

Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain off any drippings.



While the crust is baking place the potatoes into a pan of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain well. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the cheese, grated onion, butter, salt, pepper and warm milk, until the cheese is completely melted. Spoon this mixture evenly into the meat crust. Rough up the top a little. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the meat is thoroughly cooked and the potatoes are warm through and slightly browned. Top with the cheese and crumbled bacon. Bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and top with the chopped tomatoes and spring onions. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into slices to serve.



For a simple, yet tasty way to cook pork chops, check out The English Kitchen today! These are sooooo scrummy!!!

19 comments:

  1. I love your bear, love your recipes, love the word scrummy! Scrumptious and Yummy...just makes me want to give it a try! Oh yea, and moreish....Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marie! Hope you did get some sleep, especially since you'll have such a late night tonight.. I is funny how/when insomnia strikes! The angel bear is a huge delight--oh, how I'm smiling over this special creation! That book sounds very good--must add it to my list. Your recipe today looks very comfy and satisfying food for autumn--hubby would love this one! Have a great week ahead my friend. Catch up with you more soon. LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie,
    I am sooo curious. You often write you need to pull an all nighter at the BIG HOUSE. What might the reason be? A party the next night? A party on Tuesday morning? A luncheon for the Queen?
    I am sooo curious!!.

    Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie,

    The bear is so gosh darn sweet.

    I hate it when sleep eludes you and it always does it on the night it shouldn't. I certainly hope that you have caugth enough zeds and do not feel exhausted during your long day.

    Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to tell you I think I slept 2 hours last night...
    (the night of 27th).You are so much more productive than I am; I tried playing scrabble, reading, walking; forgot to tell you; I did fall asleep but woke with the worse hot flash; I can't believe these things are starting again at my age! you inspired me for the nest time I can't sleep. Hope you have a better night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that you could not sleep last night. That is so hard when you know that you will be up most of the night tonight. I still think that you should tell her that you just can not pack all night. Get your doctor to say that it is just too hard on your health. If she knew you would not do it I bet that she would manage to start packing earlier in the evening. I really wish that you would talk to her and her husband together. This is ridiculous to expect you to work all day and all night too....and tell her I said so.
    I hope that you can get a bit of a nap this afternoon.
    I will be thinking of you and sending prayers your way.
    Good luck sweet friend. Love, Lura
    p.s. I love the angel bear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY . . . Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I do hope you go some sleep last night, a good cup of hot tea helps me to sleep. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Milady could manage quite well on her own for her packing or at least give you the daytime hours off. That would be normal. I realise she probably can't just throw a few things in a suitcase like the rest of us would but she does seem to go a bit far. Throw a sickie, say I!!!

    By the way, who does the ironing with Terri laid up?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful angel bear. Lot's of good food what more could you ask for. Have a great week. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, I love the bear!
    I know what you mean about the sleep thing.
    I'm saving the recipe.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet little bear, just adorable! I hope you got some sleep, Marie. I know what you mean about it being in our heads sometimes. Jim did the same things last night, since he had to return to work after four days off he was awake until quite late..

    Looking forward to conference too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cheeks on that bear are beautifully rosey. And that pie looks oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your teddy bear angel! HOW precious! Those will be great for Christmas! Maybe we could do a co-giveaway...like I buy one to giveaway to a little girl at the Pond...

    And you know I can't resist anything with bacon cheeseburger in it. I need to e-mail you with some news about my health!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie I hate it when I can't sleep! Last night I woke up about 3 a.m. and stayed awake till after 5:30. Then when I fell back asleep I had stupid dreams and work up feeling groggy. :( I hope it's better tonight! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marie
    I hope you were able to sleep after you wrote this post and hope you're not too tired after working all night!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  16. your teddy bear angel is adorable!!! you are so creative marie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello my friend!

    What a cute little bear tree topper you made - it is adorable!

    I need to go to bed as well (I have to be up again in 5 hours -- eek). But I didn't want to turn in until I had seen what you are going to be up to this week.

    I hope you slept better tonight!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do hope you were able to get a good night's sleep in the end. Your teddy angel is sooo cute - hope she finds a good home :)

    Thank you for sharing your day (& night).

    God Bless,
    Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like taking the flavours of one dish and using them to make another dish. This bacon cheeseburger potato pie is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!