Thursday 17 September 2009

Thoughts on love . . .



Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is more than the end of the rainbow. Love is the security for which children weep, the yearning of youth, the adhesive that binds marriage, the lubricant that prevents devastating friction in the home, it is the peace of old age, the sunlight of hope shining through death.

~President Gordon B Hinckley

Many of us have an armchair view of what love is. We manifest a staid and comfortable boundary for our feelings, and then we sit back and wait, safely within the limits we have imposed for ourselves. We don't go to love . . . we expect it to come to us.



We read novels, watch television and films . . . seeking for them to bring us love vicariously, content to be passive observers. We are fearful of feeling things and of doing things that might make demands on us, that might get out of hand and take us out of our perceived comfort zones.



Love is not known to grow and thrive in just such an environment. Real lovers do more than just seek out the comfort of love. They work hard to make it an art, honing their skills and expanding their senses, sharpening their perceptions in order to keep up with the challenges and adventures that loving and being loved might bring into their ever expanding worlds.



Love is like a blank canvas, waiting for the stroke of the artist's brush . . . except that this painting will never be finished . . . should never be finished. Love should always be a work in progress. As we labour, our vision gets clearer, and more meaningful. The joy coming not so much in the finishing of our masterpiece as in the journey it took to get there . . .



"It is when we ask for love less and begin giving it more that the secret of human love is revealed to us."
~Leo Buscaglia

Love isn't in the card, or candy or flowers or other gifts that might come to you on special occasions. It's in the touch of the hand that you know cares every single day of the year, or in the gentle smile from a warm and genuine face. It's in the every day caring gestures that we should all be giving and being given . . . just because.




May we all know the peace that comes from loving and from knowing we are loved. Today, may someone adore you . . . from the top of your head right down to the tips of your toes . . . and may you adore in return.



I was washing dishes at work last night and a text came through on my phone. It was from Todd and said simply, "You are beautiful." Now, I know I am not really what the world would classify as being beautiful, but he thinks I am, and that's good enough for me. It warms my heart to know that he loves me so . . . and my heart sang it's way through the rest of the dishes. ☺

Here's a tasty way to show someone that you love them in a very special way. Save this for sometime when you want to celebrate a special occasion or day. This is my very favourite way of all time to prepare lamb!



*Parmesan Herb Crusted Lamb Chops*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is a delicious way of preparing lamb chops. You can do it on regular lamb chops, but I like to buy a rack and cut it into chops myself. That way there is no waste and all I am paying for is meat, with a tiny bit of bone. Served with some mint sauce, boiled new potatoes and some tender sweet garden peas you couldn't ask for a nicer dinner.

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
8 lamb rib chops
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs beaten
Olive oil for frying

Pre-heat the oven to 204*C/435*F. Place the fresh herbs into a medium bowl. Mix well together. Place the bread crumbs and Parmesan in another bowl, again mixing well together. Place the egg into a third bowl.

Lightly season your chops on both sides. Press them into the fresh herbs and then dip them into the egg. Finally roll them into the bread crumbs, patting them on with your fingertips to help them to adhere. Place on a plate and let sit for a few minutes while you get the pan ready to cook them.

Place a large, heavy based skillet, with an oven proof handle, over medium high heat. Add some olive oil and heat it until it shimmers. Add the chops and fry them until golden on each side, making sure you also brown the edges. This will take about 2 minutes on each side and 30 seconds on the edges. Once they are all browned place the pan into the heated oven. Roast for approximately 2 minutes for medium rare, and longer if you want them well done. Remove from the oven and serve.



It's not exciting, but it's real and comforting. Egg and Chips, the perfect meal for sharing with someone you love, on a day when you don't have a lot of time or inspiration. See it now on The English Kitchen.


6 comments:

  1. LOVE it is the sweetest gift of all... What a beautiful post today, Marie--like gift...thank you! Love seeing all your family photos, and dear Todd and Jess too. Thanks so much for all you lovely comments at my place. It's been so busy here on this end too... So looking forward to catching up with you at the weekend--hooray! LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post I must say. I was lucky to find LOVE when I was seventeen and after 50 years, I am still in love with that same guy.
    Love is not always easy but to keep real love alive you have to nourish it and keep it fun....and cook great food! I thought I would throw that in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words Marie. Your Todd is so romantic - you are a lucky woman!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving is so important and also all allowing ourselves to be loved...sometimes that is the hardest if we have been deeply hurt. We must keep taking down that wall that prevents the connection. Love Changes Everything~just happens to be Michael Ball's signature song. Do you and Todd like Michael Ball, Marie? To me he has such a beautiful voice. Wow..speaking of love and look who came to my mind! Ha! I just assume everyone in England knows of him...am I right? I am proud to share a Welsh heritage with him. Not that we are related...just that my ancestors are from Wales on my mom's side. Wow I am rambling on aren't I? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other day you were wondering whether people came to your blog for your recipes or words - well, I for one came for your recipes but have stayed for your words (and recipes too!). This post has really given me a lot to think about - I think we can all be a bit guilty in our relationships of wanting / expecting others to love us without putting too much thought into how much love we are giving. Thank you as always for your beautiful and inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really lovely. I want something like that more than anything in the world, truthfully. I hope someday I'll find someone that will love me back.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!