Tuesday 26 October 2010

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, October 26th, 2010...

Outside My Window...

It is dark and quite cold. It's also been raining . . . blah . . .

I am thinking...
We always watch Country File on Sunday Evenings. It's kind of like a topical news magazine type of show, but it covers the people, places and stories making news in the British countryside. One of the topics they covered this week was Intensive Farming and the farmer dude, Adam Henderson, had gone to America to see how it was done there. I have to tell you my heart just broke into a million pieces. (And I could tell his was breaking too.) I hope and pray that Britain never embraces the idea, I really do. It's horrible and inhumane in my opinion. There is no excuse on this earth that could ever justify the practice, not ever . . . Imagine thousands and thousands of dairy cattle that never get to wander in a field, but spend their whole lives in a tiny cubicle, even giving birth in muck . . . and two of three times a day being pushed into a circular milker machine that rotates. It was just horrible to watch. Humanity has sunk to a new low. Imagine caged battery hens, but on a much larger scale. And the pigs were equally as distressing.

I am thankful for...
Mormon Messages on YouTube. A series of short little videos that also uplift and inspire. I always enjoy them and they are always topical and current to whatever is going on in the World at any given moment. I am not sure how often they post a new one, every couple of weeks or so I think. I can watch them over and over again. I hope you'll have a look/see! If you enjoy my page you will enjoy them! Don't worry they won't hurt you! They'll touch your heart!

From the kitchen...
I really need to bake something today . . . cake, muffins . . . cookies . . . just something! There is a dearth of baked goodies! I have had a sore throat again for the past 3 or 4 days, and I've been coughing again. I think that darn infection is coming back. grrr . . .

I am wearing...
A blue nightie with pink roses covering it, and some pretty pearlie buttons on the bodice (which is pintucked) and a ribbon with a pink rose decorating it on the bodice as well. It's very pretty. I like pretty things. I may not wear pretty things in my day to day life, but when I go to bed I do. Pretty nightgowns and jammies are a lot cheaper than pretty every day clothes!

I am creating...
I have all sorts on the drawing board at the moment. Nothing I can speak about just yet, but when the time is right I'll be shouting it from the rooftops! Let's just say it's very exciting.

I am going...
I have a Primary Presidency meeting scheduled for tomorrow night and so I have to get some things ready for that. I hope that I feel better by then.

I am reading...



Susan Boyle, The Woman I was Born to Be

"My name is Susan Boyle. A year and a half ago, if you weren't from Blackburn, the village in West Lothian, Scotland, where I have lived all my life, you would almost certainly never have heard of me. Today you've probably heard all sorts about me, some fact, some speculation, some pure invention, so I'm writing this book to tell my story from my point of view, and I hope you'll enjoy reading it."

She inspired the world a few years ago when she was on Britain's Got Talent, now she has written her autobiography and has a new album coming out as well. My father just loves Susan Boyle and so do I! I'm really enjoying this book. It is just as charming as she is!

I am hoping...
That I am able to shake off this congestion and coughing, etc. soon!! I'm getting more than a little tired of it!

I am hearing...
One of my favourite singers is Mindy Gledhill and I am listening to her Anchor Album right now. It's beautiful. I also have Mitzie snozzling next to me here on the sofa. It's just a special time . . . you, beautiful music, and my Mitzie.

Around the house...
I need to hoover and dust, but the Ironing's done!!

One of my favorite things...
is watching old films. I am a real classic movie buff! I have always loved old films. That was something my ex mother in law and I had in common and we would always watch them together when we were visiting her. She would tape them from off the telly and save them for those times. I think one of the worst things about divorce is that you end up losing people in your life that have been your family for years and years. I miss my MIL. She was a lovely person and a friend.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Not a lot. It is a fairly quiet week. We had hoped to go to Blackpool this week to see the Illuminations but it's just not going to happen . . . sigh . . . I have too much on that I can't just leave.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



Have you ever seen anything cuter than this??? I bet not! Mitzie crawled up onto the sofa last evening and proceeded to plunk herself down in between Todd and I and watch the telly with us. She's sitting just like a person would. I just had to grab my camera and take a picture. Amazingly enough she stayed just like that for ages! Oh, I just love her to bits! This surely warmed my heart!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

Housework is something you do, that nobody notices unless you don't do it!

Now ain't that the truth! (And the one day you decide to stay in your jim jams without makeup, that's the day people come a callin!)

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

One thing I have always loved is potatoes. They are my favourite vegetable and I could eat them in any way shape or form. I have two cookbooks that contain nothing but recipes for potatoes and I could eat a meal of just them. There is no way I could ever give them up . . . never. Next to chocolate, they are my biggest weakness.




*Baked Potato Wedges*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

These delicious potato wedges are a bit more trouble to put together than others…but TRUST me…the end result is well worth the effort . . . crispy edged potatoes…with buttery flavour that goes right down to the crispy skins . . .

4 TBS butter, melted
¼ cup tomato catsup
1 tsp prepared mustard
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 large potatoes, unpeeled

Pre-heat the oven to 220*C/425*F. Combine melted butter, catsup, mustard and seasonings.

Scrub potatoes and dry well. Cut each into 4 wedges. Slash each wedge crosswise at ¼ inch intervals, but don’t cut all the way through the skin. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, skin side down. Brush with 1/3 of the butter mixture.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender, with crispy brown edges, basting periodically with the remaining butter mixture. Serve hot.



And, in The English Kitchen this morning, Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal!



12 comments:

  1. I watched that countryfile episode and seriously contemplated exploring vegetarianism. I truly hope that this type of intensive farming does not come to the UK, not only would it be to the detriment of the small farmer it is also cruelty for the sake of cheap meat/milk. I am more than happy to pay extra per pound of meat or pint of milk in order to guarantee the humane treatment of the animals. I could see that Adam was disturbed by the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola, I agree whole heartedly. I will become a vegetarian if Britain embraces this. It is thoroughly disgusting and what was even more upsetting was that the Vet who was in charge was condoning it and excusing it by saying that in future years there would not be enough food to feed the population of the world so that justified this type of farming. There is NO justification for this practice, in my opinion. I, too, would willingly pay more for that pint of milk or piece of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No justification at all! I have the misfortune to live just a few miles from where they are proposing to start this venture. I would rather do without milk altogether. Judging from what's in our local papers there's not much support for this from anywhere but I bet you they'll go ahead with it anyway. Yep, vegetarianism for me. Oh, and we are apparently over-reacting <>, the cows LIKE to live like that doncha know! Adam the English farmer must have a really strong stomach to keep his cool during that film. God gave us dominion over every creature on earth and this is the thanks He gets!

    There seems to be an awful lot of coughs and sniffles and sore throats about this year that just will not go away. I hope you'll manage to shake it off soon.

    Mitzie is gorgeous! This couch potato pose looks like one that's set to last a lifetime. I know some people are afraid of dogs or just don't like them but I ask you: how can they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, dear Marie! We eat mostly vegetarian 98% of the time already, as you know... It doesn't stop terrible things happening to animals and the ails of the food industry in general. But we have a choice is what we purchase and eat, and that choice is power for us and the animals. Do hope you will be feeling better soon... And looking forward to hearing more of your creativity in the works soon. LOVE the photo of Mitzie! Don't you love how pets watch telly/movie with you?! Our Charlie does too... LOL! Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really had to laugh at the way Mitzie is sitting on the couch, that is so cute! I love the old movies too..thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where is the support for this?
    I think that is not the way to say thanks to our Creator.
    I hope there will be one that can stop doing this to animals

    your potatoes were delicious!
    love from the netherlands
    Ingridw57@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have something very exciting brewing. I'm hoping we hear soon what is keeping you so excited. I'm going to go now and check out that pumpkin pie oatmeal. Sounds good. I hope your Tuesday is a terrific one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Mitzie is just too cute, and I always look forward to the pictures you post of her. I also can't wait to try your baked potato wedges recipe, which I just printed out. It looks so yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't those farming practices just disgusting?! I can't even imagine....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie, I so hope we get to meet someday. I just love reading your thoughts. My daughter loves Mindy Gledhill and as a matter of fact. My maiden name is Gledhill and she is a relative for sure. I don't know how close. You love old movies and so do I. They just don't make them like they used too; I always say.
    I too am upset over the description of the milk cows. Farms are becoming big businesses now and I think it is scary. My parents farmed and I loved seeing the horses and cows grazing in the fields.
    I loved the picture of your dog. He is so cute. My Sammy is so funny; every time my husband tries to hug me; he stands and barks at us. He is fixated by my husband. Luckily, I have sweet Susy to like me. They are both so cute and fun.
    Blessing and hugs to you and I hope you get feeling better.
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that Countryfile too, Marie. Very distressing to know that such a huge powerful country is falling so far behind in animal welfare.
    Disturbing reports too, of poultry welfare standards by McDonalds in the US and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just tried this recipe, and it was delicious, but I'm not sure I did it quite right. Is prepared mustard the kind that's in a bottle, or the powdered kind?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!