Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, October 19th, 2010...

Outside My Window...

It is dark and quite, quite chilly. We are supposed to be getting sub zero temps this week! I hope we are not going to have a repeat of last winter!!!

I am thinking...
That I might try writing my daughter and telling her exactly how I feel. I dreamt about her last night and it was such a vivid dream. Now that she is expecting a baby herself and about to become a mom perhaps she might soften a bit towards me . . . am I setting myself up for more hurt?? Probably. But it's a chance I feel I have to take . . .

I am thankful for...
Having the relationship that I have with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I don't know where I would be in life had I not . . . they help to keep me grounded and heading in the right direction. I look at the scriptures as being a sort of owners manual for life . . . an owners manual is helpful when we go to drive a car and helps us to maintain and care for our cars so that we can get the best possible life out of our car. The scriptures are like that for our lives. The Apostle Paul explained, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16) Nephi gave the additional prophetic promise that when we "feast upon the words of Christ, … the words of Christ will tell us all things what we should do" (2 Nephi 32:3) In other words . . . the scriptures are our life script, our instruction manual in mortality, if you will. But of course, if the universal teachings in holy writ are to benefit us, we must follow Nephi’s additional counsel to "liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning" (1 Nephi 19:23)

From the kitchen...
There are some cookies leftover from last night, but that's about all! I need to bake something today!

I am wearing...
My red and white "Grammy" nightie. I am so fond of this nightie . . . I'm almost glad that the weather has snapped cold so that I can start wearing it again! Nicest gift I have ever gotten, made nicer still because my eldest son and his wife gave it to me. ☺

I am creating...
I have all sorts on the drawing board at the moment. Nothing I can speak about just yet, but when the time is right I'll be shouting it from the rooftops!

I am going...
I have a Primary Presidency meeting scheduled for tomorrow night and then this weekend is our Stake Conference. I have some Conference packs to get sorted for the children I am responsible for in my calling. ( Just little packs filled with some activities to help to keep them from getting bored during the conference.)

I am reading...



Winnie the Pooh, the complete collection of stories and poems by A A Milne.

It has taken me a lifetime but I am finally reading this book, and enjoying every word! Classic and beautiful.

I am hoping...
Can you believe that I am still deaf??? I know!! Two courses of anti-biotics later and I am still as deaf as a post! I think I will have to go back to the Doctors, although I am not sure that they will be able to do anything.

I am hearing...
Not alot!! (See above!)

Around the house...
Ironing, Ironing and what's that??? More Ironing!!!

One of my favorite things...
is doing my Simple Woman's Daybook entry each week. It helps me to pause and to think. It's like having a beautiful one on one conversation with each of you as well. I just love it!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Not a lot. It is a fairly quiet week, which is nice. Next week we are going to try to get up to Blackpool to see the illuminations before they shut them down!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



A dried Hydrangea head etched in the gilt of a morning frost. I expect we will see some of that in this coming week. Brrr . . . it seems too soon indeed! I remember as a child our windows were always covered by frost on the insides in the colder months. I used to love to trace the beautiful patterns with my finger tips . . . Isn't nature magnificent!! And there are some who would say there is no God . . . no God indeed!! Just open your eyes and look around you. That is all the proof anyone should need of His existance!!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up.
~James 4:10


Which one of us couldn't use a little lift from time to time!!!

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

Who doesn’t love fried chicken. It’s not that healthy for you though and is often loaded with fat and calories. Oven fried chicken is often much better for you and lower in cholesterol and calories and can taste just as good as the deep fried kind!



*Oven Fried Chicken*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

This chicken is delicious, tender and moist. It’s not as high in calories or fat content than regular fried chicken, although I still would reserve it for an occasional treat.

2 1/2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
3/4 cup mayonnaise, can use lowfat
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8-1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, celery salt, dry mustard, pepper and paprika in a large glass bowl and mix well. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover andrefrigerate for at least 4 hours (or up to 24 hours, if you plan ahead).

After marinating, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and toss around in the mixture once again (to make sure pieces are well-coated). Preheat your oven to 180*C/350*F.

Place the breadcrumbs and parsley in a shallow dish, mixing together well. Roll the marinated chicken pieces in crumb mixture to coat on all sides. Place in a single layer in a large baking pan.

Bake, uncovered, for about 45 to 55 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces you are using, turning gently halfway through or until the juices run clear when tested with a fork. Remove to a warm platter and serve. We like to have this with mashed potatoes and gravy as a once in a blue moon treat! (In for a penny, in for a pound!)



In The English Kitchen today, Lime and White Chocolate Fingers!


8 comments:

  1. i'm sorry your ears still aren't working! :( boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was i the first one to comment? oh yeah! i'm good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, persevere with those ears! I had a very bad infection back in the 80s which left me stone deaf in my left ear. Too late I went to the audiologist, and he fobbed me off with the NHS hearing aid. I'm sure I could have had the gunk drained out, but as an old woman I wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there...I enjoyed your thoughts shared and the pictures and the recipes..you have such a nice blog and I always enjoy my visits with you my friend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I want you to know that I am so grateful to have you as a blogger friend. I pray you will get your hearing back. Do go to a physician and if you haven't had a blessing get one.
    I can assure you that your daughter will soften when she has that sweet little one. I have become so much closer to my 3 daughters since they have had children. It's a precious relationship that was always that way; especially during their teenage years. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. I loved the scriptures and it helped with some thoughts I was having today.
    Hugs and blessings to you! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the antibiotics didn't work because your ear infection may have been a viral one. Get the doc to check it out though but I'm sure your hearing will come back eventually. Meanwhile, I'LL SHOUT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you
    did write to
    your daughter
    and told her
    about your dream
    maybe, she'll want
    to share your
    grandchild's life with you...

    your chicken looks yummy
    and skinless, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!