Friday 28 January 2011

Friday Mish Mash



Teach me the art of taking minute vacations, of slowing down to look at a flower, to chat with a friend . . . to read a few lines from a good book.

~Wilfred A Peterson, Slow Me Down Lord

Apparently, we are sleeping more than an hour less than we used to each night, in order to get up and get all the things done that need doing each day. Commuter times, gym time, meetings etc. . . . it would appear that although we live in a time of countless labour saving devices . . . we live in a society where every minute must be filled with activity.

At one time people retired at sunset, and then arose again with the dawn . . . but those days are long since gone . . . I cannot imagine retiring at 4 pm in the winter, can you??



It does make sense though that we should treat ourselves to a few minutes each day for dawdling just a bit. "Mini Holidays" that all of us can afford to take and none of us can afford to miss. A few minutes with the scriptures, or reading some poetry . . . admiring the plants in our garden, or chatting with a friend on the phone . . . just sitting and daydreaming for a few. These are little mini holidays that cost little and we won't even have to leave our home to take. I think they would go a long way towards restoring our souls, don't you?

Todd and I are taking a mini holiday this afternoon. We are taking ourselves off to see "The King's Speech." We hardly ever go out to a film. We have one of those large screen telly's and Sky Digital and so we usually take all of our film entertainment at home, but for this one we thought we would make an exception! We have heard so many good things about it and, well, you know . . . Colin Firth . . . who can resist! (I know Todd's not going for Colin Firth, but it's an added incentive for me! Mr Darcy!)



I have heard no more from Angie, so am assuming no news is good news, and that the matron has taken her phone away. Please continue to keep her in your prayers, and I will update you as soon as I know anything more.

We had the missionaries over for their tea last night. I spoiled them with bacon chops and macaroni and cheese, vegetables and salad, french bread, a special cake, some lemon pudding with cream, and they left armed with these tasty biscuits. I like to think that if I had a son out there doing a mission, someone would be feeding him up well and taking good care of him, and so I like to do the same. They never complain!



*Jam Thumbprints*
Makes 16
Printable Recipe

You can use any flavour you want for these tasty cookies, or even use a selection of different ones. Our favourite is raspberry, but apricot and strawberry are also very good!

1/2 cup butter, softened (4 oucnes)
a scant half cup caster sugar (3 ounces)
few drops vanilla
a generous cup (5 ounces) plain flour
8 tsp thick jam or conserve

Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and the flour with a wooden spoon to form a dough. Chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 170*C/325*F/ gas mark 3. Line two baking sheets with baking paper and set aside.

Divide the dough into 16 even pieces and shape each into a walnut sized ball using your hands. Place onto the baking sheets. Press your thumb gently into the centre of each slightly and make a dent. Fill each dent with a little jam, about 1/2 teaspoon..

Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown around the edges, but still slightly soft. They will firm up once cooled. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.



There's a Spiced Potroast cooking over in The English Kitchen today!


8 comments:

  1. You will enjoy The Kings Speech, it is a great film, the acting is brilliant. No trace of Mr Darcy, but just shows what a great actor Colin Firth is.

    Have a lovely day.

    Big Hugs

    Sheilagh
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Havn't seen the Kings Speach but all my friends who have seen oit say i's great..Look forward to hearing how you find it..
    I'm so sorry about Angie..she had just come back to blog again after being away for a few weeks...If you do hear from her please give her my love, thank you.
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie! Can't wait to see "The King's Speech"...I love me some Colin Firth! ;o) And it would be so lovely if he won the Oscar for his role as the King soon. Oh, but I'm so very sorry about your friend Angie... I pray all will be well. Wishing you all a sweet weekend now soon. Hopefully we can catch up for a chat next week--dare I hope?! :o) LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little rest and relaxation is good for the soul. We all need to take those breaks. I hope your Friday is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are well Marie and enjoyed the movie - I have heard very good reports. I seem to be sleeping a LOT at the moment but then I have a little surprise announcement for you over on Dolliedaydream lol! Actually it was a BIG surprise xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these lovely treats Marie, hope Angie go OK dear.
    Send you huggs to you and Tood and hope you have a lovely weekend! Love yah gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about all of the rushing we do today. It seems that there is hardly a moment of rest, yet I wonder why it is that we are rushing so. I am glad to hear that you are going to view The Kings Speech. My husband and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago and it is excellent. Enjoy!! Still keeping Angie in my prayers.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!