Sunday 16 January 2011

It was here and then . . . it was gone!



I just spent an hour and a half doing my Sunday Smilemakers post for this week, only to have it disappear into the ether as soon as I pressed publish post! Unfortunately I have run out of time now as I am doing a sharing time in church this morning and I have some last minute adjustments to make on it! Very frustrating to have all that hard work just disappear, but . . . that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes!

Life's too short to sweat the small stuff! Have a great Sunday my sweet friends! Don't forget to smile!


(My latest piece. She's in my Etsy Shop now.)

Be glad that your life has been full and complete,
Be glad that you've tasted the bitter and sweet.
Be glad that you've walked in sunshine and rain,
Be glad that you've felt both pleasure and pain.
Be glad that you've had such a full, happy life,
Be glad for your joy, as well as your strife.
Be glad that you've walked with courage each day,
Be glad you've had strength for each step of the way.
Be glad for the comfort that you've found in prayer,
Be glad for God's blessings, His love and His care.
~Helen Steiner Rice

I can solemnly testify this morning that when you live your life with gratitude, it just gets better and better!




*Yankee Pot Roast Dinner*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Deliciously tender and accompanied with tasty braised vegetables. Plan ahead as the meat does need to marinate overnight.

2 1/2 pounds rolled brisket or silverside
3 TBS oil or bacon fat
1 TBS ground alls pice
1 tsp sea salt
2 TBS flour
1 TBS dry mustard
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock
6 TBS butter
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 carrots, peeeld and cut into large chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
12 small red onions, peeled and cut into 4
wedges through the root end
2 TBS cornstarch
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put the meat in a shallow dish. Put one tablespoon of the oil, the allspice, salt, flour and mustard powder in a small bowl, mixing to form a paste, and adding more oil as necesary. Rub the meat all over with the mixture, then place in the refrigerator to marinate over night. (Do not cover.)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Remove the meat from the fridge and shake off any excess spices. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the meat and brown on all sides. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole. Add the wine to the drippings. Bring to the boil, scraping the pan, and then cook until reduced by two thirds. Add the stock, bring to the boil and then pour over the meat. Cover with a lid and then cook in the heated oven for about 1 1/2 hours until tender.

About half an hour before the meat is done, add the butter to the frying pan, heat gently. Add the vegetables and fry until they begin to take on some colour. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper, cover with a lid and them reduce the heat and allow them to simmer in their own juices until tender, about 20 minutes. Keep warm.

When the meat is cooked, drain off the liquid into a saucepan. Mix the cornstarch with 3 TBS of water and blend it into the liquid. Bring to the boil, then taste and adjust seasoning as required.

To serve transfer the meat to a platter and arrange the vegetables around. Serve the gravy on the side.



In The English Kitchen today, Brown Scones. Tummy tempting!


7 comments:

  1. Just wondering, maybe it posted in 2010's date (if you had started it last yr)or maybe an earlier date this yr? I accidentally do that sometimes, try a search on your drafts and published posts, it may be there. I hope you find it! What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all had that happen and it is frustrating. Maybe you'll have time later in the day to post your SMILES. I wish you lots of smiles today and a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happened to me earlier Marie.I clicked on the refresh page immediatley and it appeared.Maybe I was lucky for one time.Hope you find it and have a lovely Sunday.Take Care God Bless Kath.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a bummer when technology goofs up on us. I love that poem, though! You have such a wonderful joy Marie! Happy Sunday to you! xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have soooooo had that happen. makes u want to throw your computer out the window. or kick it real hard:) sorry marie! for you and me(because i'll miss it too!)

    hope your sharing time goes great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie,
    I am so sorry that you lost your post. That same thing happened to me not long ago. It is so frustrating and I am sure that all of us miss reading about your Sunday Smiles. You will have to tell us about them next week.

    I hope that sharing time went well. Knowing you, I am sure that it did.
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your calling in Primary now.

    I have dinner all made except for the last minute things and setting the table so I am going to try to do my Sunday Six before Mindy and gang get here. I hope I have better luck than you did.
    Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's awful when that happens... all that work, and POOF--lost in cyberspace...*sigh*...LOVE you latest illustration, Marie--too Cute! And what a meal today... My hubby would love. ;o) Just a little hello. I'm still very under the weather with a cold, which sometimes want to act like the flu. :o( Happy Day--LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!