Wednesday 23 March 2011

Do you know who you really are?



"Your hands have made me and fashioned me."
~Job 10:8

Do you know who you really are? For years, I struggled with the answer to this question. Oh . . . I knew that I was the daughter of my parents, and a wife to my husband . . . a mother to my children . . . but who was I really???

For years I had been told that I was incompetent . . . and stupid. That I was lazy, and incapable of doing things on my own. It didn't matter that I did just that for months at a time while my husband was away on training courses, or other Military duties . . . I had been made to feel that I was not very much at all. Even the very way I walked was mocked and made fun of.



Not smart. Not attractive. Not competent. No talents. A big nobody, who didn't have opinions, or thoughts, or needs . . . . or anything that mattered at all.

It was not until I joined my present church, that I began to realize just who I really was. I learned that I was the much loved and precious daughter of a Heavenly Father . . . reserved in the Heavens to come to the earth at this special time . . . the end of times.

A beloved and valiant spirit, with a multitude of talents and skills. Beautiful and strong. Intelligent and oh so very precious to my Heavenly family. What a wonderful awakening that was!!



It was not an awakening that occured overnight. I didn't all of a sudden wake up one morning and know this. It happened over a series of days . . . and weeks . . . and months . . . after hours of prayer and study. You can be told something, but it is not until you begin to feel it's truth in your heart, that it becomes real to you. It is not until you can look into the mirror and recognize what has really been there all along, that it makes a difference . . . and this is a beautiful knowledge that is truly life transforming.

The more you soak yourself in the truth of God's word . . . the more you come to realize just who you are and how very important you are to Him. How very much He loves and cares about you. This knowledge is empowering and uplifting and it can change your life for the better . . . because you are the spirit daughter of the King as well. Did you know that? A Princess from the heavens . . .

You are not your broken body, or your imperfect face. That is not where your worth lies. You are not where you live, or who you live with. You are that you which lives inside yourself . . . that beautiful spirit which was created in the Heavens just to come to this earth at this time. And you are so very special, and so very loved . . .



Just my thoughts on this beautiful spring morning . . . I hope you will watch the video.

Here's one of Todd's favourite dessert. His mother made beautiful apple pies apparently. I never got to taste them and I am afraid that I never quite get my apple pies like hers, but I do make quite a good North American version! He does enjoy it, even if it's not quite like hers!




*Caramel Apple Pie*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

A delicious apple pie topped with sweet caramel and the crunch of toasted pecans.

Crust:
prepared pastry to fit a double crust 9 inch pie
1/4 cup of finely chopped toasted pecans

Filling:
3/4 cup of sugar
2 TBS flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 TBS lemon juice
6 medium cooking apples peeled (6 cups)

Topping:
1/3 cup of caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup of chopped toasted pecans

Preheat the oven to 225*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Roll out half of your pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 9 inch glass pie dish. Sprinkle the finely chopped toasted pecans on the bottom of the crust.

Mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and apples for the filling in a large bowl. ( I use my hands to gently toss them together.) Pour this mixture, with all the juices, into the crust lined pie dish.

Roll the remaining half of the pastry into a circle large enough to cover the top with a bit of overhang. (Again on a lightly floured surface) Place over top of the filling. Trim around and seal and flute the edges. Cut some vents into the top in order to allow steam to escape. Place onto a large baking tray.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown. If after 15 to 20 minutes you think the edges of the crust are getting too brown you may cover the with strips of foil to protect them.

Allow to cool for at least an hour before serving.

Serve warm cut into wedges. Drizzle some of the caramel topping on each piece and sprinkle with the remaining toasted pecans. (A scoop of vanilla ice cream also goes very well!)



There's an old standby over in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Ham and Mac Bake.


3 comments:

  1. Those words are ones we all need to hear and believe. We are all wonderfully and beautifully made. Each one of us is unique and very special and very much loved. I wish every child born could grow up with those words instilled in them. Now more than ever it is good to know that. I hope you continue to believe and encourage you in your walk through life. That message is not just the teaching of your church, but of our God. I hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never doubt yourself Marie - you are one gifted and extremely talented individual. I don't know you personally but I am sure you are a very loveable and beautiful person in your own right. I'm so sorry you had to experience such abuse but now you have seen the light and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I happened upon your post by accident, but so glad I did. What a beautiful message. How sad we must experience such darkness before we see the light...But God opened your eyes to magnificent you - isn't that wonderful? I watched the video and it was a perfect message. Thank you for sharing that.
    The pie sound and looks yummy-licious!

    May the grace of God abound in your life,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!