Saturday 12 March 2011

Poetry Saturday, The Visitor . . .



God dwells here
Within this quiet room;
His touch is on my posies
Of violets and broom.



And as the evening sunshine
Sheds around it's golden store,
God lingers in the gentle beams
That slant across the floor.



I come here tired and weary,
When day is nearly done;
God comes here in the evening,
As I watch the dying sun.



He stays with me a little while
And soothes my troubled heart;
He smells my sprigs of jasmine,
Then silently departs.



And yet He always stays here,
Within my quiet room;
They told me so themselves, you see,
My violets and broom.
~Margaret Mills

Oh . . . I do love this poem. There is such a beautiful serene sense of peace that runs through it. It makes me think of the ponderance of prayer and how very special those quiet moments spent in communion with my Heavenly Father are.

I was looking through my chest of drawers yesterday and came across an old prayer journal of mine. As I read the words I had penned so any years ago, I thought about how the desires of my heart had changed through the years, and how much closer I was to my God now than I was then . . . it is a wonderful journey we take as we follow the road back to Him who created us. I am so very grateful for it . . . potholes and all!

Here's a really good recipe for some tasty biscuits to bake the next time you are looking for something to fill that bread basket of yours with! They are very easy to make and quick, and oh so delicious too!!!





*Quick Cheese Biscuits*
Makes one dozen
Printable Recipe

Not only are these delicious, quick and easy to make, but they are very pretty to look at. Perfect for Saint Patrick's Day as well!

2 1/4 cups of all purpose baking mix (such as Bisquick)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 TBS chopped fresh herbs (Such as thyme, chives, sage, etc.
use what you have on hand)
1/4 cup of sour cream
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1/3 cup of milk
1 medium free range egg, beaten
12 fresh flat leaf parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. You will need a baking sheet.

Whisk the baking mix, cheese and herbs together in a bowl. Mix the sour cream and mustard together in another bowl. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir together just until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a surface which has been lightly dusted with baking mix. Knead about 10 times and then pat into a circle which is 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a 2 inch round biscuit cutter, using a sharp tap on the cutter, straight up and down. (No twisting!) Place the rounds 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of each bisuit with some of the beaten egg. Top each with a flat leaf parsley leaf and then brush again with some egg.

Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden brown. Serve warm.




Over in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Peanut Butter Tray Bake.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a prayer journal is something I've always wanted to do but haven't. I do agree as we get older we to get closer to God. So many prayers have been answered for me over the years and sometimes they weren't the answers I wanted but always answered. I hope your Saturday is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie those scones or biscuits look equisite. I must try the parlsey trick next time I make some.

    I am not great at journalling. A few years ago it did occur to me that many of my childhood dreams are a reality. He really does take care of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, this poem is absolutely beautiful. I so love poetry ... TY for sharing.
    Happy St. Paddy's Day ~
    Have a wonderful weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    CSN GIVEAWAY ENDS 3/17

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a beautiful poem, definitely brings peace to the soul!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!