Monday 18 April 2011

Monday thoughts . . .



Have you ever heard of fainting goats? Slightly nasty, and not at all much to look at, they meander about foraging for food until they are startled by life in the goat yard, and then . . . they just up and faint. "When life gets tough, the tough get going," that phrase just does not apply to them, coz when life gets tough for them . . . they simply faint. They can't stand to be startled or upset, and so . . . they don't take time to rejoice or experience the situation. They faint to get away from reality. It's naturally programmed into them to avoid dealing with stress of any kind, they just don't do it!



Some people are like that. They just simply refuse to face the truth. They don't recognize a God who is in control, and in the situation that startled or upset their lives. They just faint and go to "La-la Land" until the distress passes by. Of course . . . when they finally do come to . . . the problem hasn't disappeared, it's still there and nothing has changed, if anything it's gotten worse. What good has their little escape to "La-la Land" done? The truth is . . . none. As much as we would all sometimes like to be like Scarlett O'Hara and deal with the realities of life tomorrow . . . that just isn't any way to live your life.



You cannot run away from the truth and reality of your life. It is best just to face it square on and deal with it . . . today. The good news is we don't have to face it alone. No matter what our circumstances or problems, we can rejoice in them, because our Heavenly Father is the author and finisher of life. He is smack dab in the middle of everything we face, no matter what, no matter how, no matter when . . . and He sent us the Saviour to help us deal with anything that we might have to wrestle with.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30

Somehow that sounds a whole lot better to me than simply fainting.




Here's a delicious casserole that you can make for breakfast that is quick and easy and that your family will just love. Refrigerated biscuits are not easy to find over here so I just make my own, using a basic biscuit recipe that uses 2 cups of flour. You can find a good basic one here. You will only need about half of the biscuits it makes, so you can just freeze the ones you don't need for another time. (Just place them on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen remove to a zip lock baggie and store for up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready to use, just take out and bake from frozen, adding 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.)




*Bacon and Cheese Pull Aparts*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

A delicious breakfast bread casserole, with eggs, bacon and cheese. What's not to like!

1 large free range egg
2 TBS milk
1 can of refrigerated flakey biscuits, or your own favourite recipe for baking powder biscuits
(one that uses 2 cups of flour, you will only need 8 of them)
8 slices of streaky bacon, cooked and then cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup)
4 medium spring onions, trimmed and chopped

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 12 by 7 inch glass baking dish. Set aside.

Whisk the egg and milk together in a bowl. Separate the biscuits and cut each one into quarters. (alternately if you are using homemade biscuit dough, stamp out 8 3-inch wide biscuits and cut them into quarters) Drop them into the bowl with the egg mixture along with the bacon, cheese and spring onions. Gently toss to combine. Spoon this mixture into the prepared baking dish, in a single layer.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares to serve. Delicious!



Over in The English Kitchen this morning, there's a delicious Blueberry Sour Cream Dessert Cake!


7 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! That is a lot of fainting...LOL! Even if it's tough going I prefer to just face things. Turning away and such never eases things. It is only when we see rightly that we can move forward. Interesting thoughts today! LOVE the casserole! Been wondering what to make for some Easter brunch this weekend, this is a great idea! Busy week here, and lots on as usual...LOL! I will send you an email. Happy week to you all there! LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel like fainting but I have learned something about that. If you faint you just postpone the grief and the growth. So head on into it and see that your imagination is always worse than the reality of most things. Once we face something we can take the Lord's hand and walk through it to the light of day.

    Great post. Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that you are right. I have never fainted but the idea is rather appealing to me now. I wish that I could just pass out until my ribs are healed and the pain is gone. Wouldn't that be nice just to wake up and be well!!! I could skip all the painful therapy and endless hurting.... and if I could be passed out for a month or two maybe I would wake up thin too. Maybe those goats have the right idea...lol

    Love you lots. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit that I sometimes wish I had that ability (and as a Capricorn I should have some goat characteristics) but then the easy way out rarely provides a solution, does it? As much as we might wish for it.

    You cannot run away from the truth and reality of your life. It is best just to face it square on and deal with it . . . today. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I have had many moments that I wish I could faint; because I didn't want to handle it. However, in this stage I have more of a testimony of prayer and the power of faith in our lives. I really don't know what I would do with out daily prayer and sometimes many times a day.
    Loved the thoughts on the goats; I had heard about fainting goats.
    Loved the recipe and can't wait to try it.
    Have an awesome week!
    Blessings to you! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying looking at your blog. I've added you as a recipient of the "pay it forward" award. You can check it out here: http://sjerzgirl-frustratedfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/04/award-to-forward.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. first of all, that casserole looks amazing!!!! second, thanks for sharing those thoughts and that scripture. i know i've said it before but you are just an awesome writer. i love reading your blog and i'm grateful i came upon it years ago. you are such a wonderful person and i'm blessed to know you(even if it is just on the internet) hey, maybe someday we'll meet :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!