Sunday 8 May 2011

Marie's Sunday Six




Welcome to my Sunday Six Smile Makers post for Sunday May the 8th, 2011! Not only is it Sunday, but today is Mother's Day in North America and I don't know where else in the world, but I am sure it is Mother's Day in a lot of places. A very special day where we honor Mother's and their love for us all the day through! I thought it would be fun to share some of my favourite thoughts and quotes on Mothers for you this morning. I am a real quote lover and these are the types of things that always bring a smile to my face and heart!




"Every mother is like Moses. She does not enter the Promised Land. She prepares a world she will not see."
~Pope Paul VI



"Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world."
~Kate Douglas Wiggin



"Making a decision to have a child -- it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."- Elizabeth Stone




"I know of no better answer to the foul practices that confront our young people today, than the teachings of a mother, given in love with an unmistakable warning."
~Gordon B Hinckley



You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian Lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
~Anne Campbell



"Mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children.”
~Julie B. Beck, “Mothers Who Know,” Ensign, Nov 2007, 76–78




And finally a wonderful message from Jeffrey R Holland on Motherhood. I hope that you will watch it and enjoy it as I do.

It is rainy and dull here today, but we do need the moisture for our gardens. We are having guests later on this afternoon. Nothing special, but an informal tea table, with lots of finger sandwiches, potato chips, pickles and a few sweet treats for afters. I do so love having people over. Entertaining is one of the things I love to do most of all!

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone! May your day be blessed in countless ways.




*Pork Scallopine with a White Wine Sauce*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Deliciously tender pork in a lovely sauce. Perfect for Mother's Day, or really any special day!

1 (1 pound) pork tenderloin
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBS flour
4 tsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
2 tsp snipped fresh sage, or 1/2 tsp dried sage, crushed
1 tsp snipped fresh rosemary, or 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 cup of chicken broth
2 TBS water
1 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS snipped fresh parsley

Trim any fat from the meat and discard. Slice the meat into 1/2-inch slices. Place each slice between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound meat lightly until 1/4 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip meat into flour, turning to coat evenly.

Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a very large skillet. Add half of the meat to skillet. Cook about 4 minutes or until meat is browned, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove meat from skillet; cover and keep warm.

Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet; cook the remaining meat as directed above. Remove from skillet; cover and keep warm.

To make the sauce, add the garlic to the same skillet. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the wine, sage, and rosemary. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the broth. Return the pork to the skillet. Bring just to boiling. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Stir this mixture into the broth mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.

Place the meat on a heated serving platter to serve. Spoon the sauce over top and sprinkle with parsley. Serve.



Baking over in The English Kitchen today, a really scrummy Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Tray Bake!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Marie! I love a good quote and these are all vet poignant. Hope you have a wonderful time with your guests. I bet you have a special way of making each guest feel right at home. You are so sweet and kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Marie! It's also Mother's Day in my homeland (Australia), though not here in Sweden until the last Sunday in April. It would be nice if they all had the one day - it deserves an international status, I think.

    Thank you for the inspirational quotes summing up what it means to be and to have a mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all the quotes as I collect them too. Sometimes they can put words to my thoughts much better than I can so I used them often. I'm sending best wishes your way for a Happy Mothers Day too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mothers Day Marie,, I know its difficult for you and I hope you hear from the kids today.Hope your call finds your mum well.The recipes sound wonderful as usual, and always such inspirational words.Try not to be sad today,, you're a great mum,, we all know that,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mothers Day Marie, hope the sun is shining on you now as it is here in Runcorn. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Love n hugs to you and Todd and of course the gorgeous Mitzie.

    Sheilagh xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's day to you too dear friend. Hope it's been a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day Marie! I am sending love all the way from Utah!

    Patrick made us a delicious dinner and for dessert Cal and I made your yummy chocolate peanut butter bars- yummy! They were so incredibly good! We ate them right out of the oven gooey and warm... We even added some ice cream to cool them down a bit and they were delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day(sorry I'm a day late, I was only on the computer for a little bit yesterday! The rest of the day I just spent getting spoiled and going to church:) Hope you had a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing all of those awesome quotes and the video clip too! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!