Saturday 14 May 2011

Thursday thoughts . . .



To know someone deeply
is like hearing the moon through an ocean
or having a hawk lay bright leaves at your feet.
It seems impossible, even while it happens.
~unknown

Discovering who we truly are is a little bit like trying to forge a trail through unknown territory. We know that there has to be a way to get through to the other side . . . but it can seem very elusive, and it can be very hard work. Having said that though . . . I have come to learn in life that the deepest friendships in life begin when we are able to look into the eyes of another and realize that they have been there too. How wonderful, humbling and amazing to discover that what you thought was only the path you had trod, also belongs to someone else.



I think about things like this sometimes . . . I am a dreamer and a thinker. As I go about my day, and my little world brushes against someone else's . . . I am aware that, just as I carry my spiritual home and life's experience on my back . . . like a turtle carries his home, so does everyone else, and most of us are not all that different as we would suppose ourselves to be. The entire drama of each of our lives runs through our blood. Although we may suppose ourselves to be unknown . . . we are also very known at the same time . . . if that makes any sense.

To get to know someone deeply is like uncovering a beautiful treasure. It is a gift that someone has chosen to share with you . . . sharing your heart and feelings with another, your experience . . . and being able to share theirs in return, allows your heart . . . like a photograph, to be developed . . . the developer being the love, trust and honesty shared by another.

We may find along the way of our life's journey, a great many people who have been where we are going, or who are going where we have been. That we can share this adventure with each other is such a wonderful thing, but it must never stop us from breaking our own trail into the unknown, for it is only by daring to be ourselves that we can truly, deeply know and understand others.



It is called compassion. It is called love. It is called friendship. We must learn to walk in another's shoes before we even dare to judge them. I think if we can do so . . . our worlds would be very different places . . . and we would discover that, as different from each other we may appear to be on the outside . . . there is a shared kinship and heart inside, that is really not all that different after all.

Just my thoughts this morning . . .

When I was a child I always wondered what Hamburger Helper tasted like. It always looked quite tasty on the television and on the box. As an adult I tried it out, but was sadly disappointed, because it never tasted half as good as it looked. This is my homemade version of that same type of meal and trust me when I say it's very, very tasty. This is a real family pleaser and very easy to make. I like to use a gutsy marinara sauce, like an arrabbiata, with lots of spice and flavour. Other's may choose to use a milder one. It's all according to your own tastes!



*Skillet Pasta Penne*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Easy to make, delicious and much better than anything that comes out of a box!

1 pound of extra lean ground beef
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 (24-ounce) jar of marinara sauce (your favourite kind)
2 cups water
3 cups uncooked penne pasta
1/2 cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese

Spray a large skillet (with a lid) with some nonstick cooking spray and dry scramble your ground beef until nicely browned and no pink remains. Stir in the onion, garlic, salt and pepper to taste and the Italian seasoning. Cook until the onion begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in the marinara sauce, and water, mixing in well. Stir in the pasta and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over medium heat until the pasta is tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheeses and cover again for about one minute, until the cheeses have melted. Serve hot.



Over in The English Kitchen today you will find some delicious Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bars!


3 comments:

  1. I fell in love with that cow pcture, Marie. It just melted my heart :-)

    Beautiful post and one that strongly resonates with me, though as usual you phrase it so much more poetically and eloquently than I could. I'm so glad that I found your blog because these daily thoughts help me so much to understand myself better. Thank you.

    And what a lovely, versatile dinner. My mind is already thinking of alternatives and tweakings to create different tastes. I love recipes like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such wonderful writing marie,, you certainly have a way with words,, and a wonderful cook to boot.You're the whole deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie -- I love the wisdom you share with us. And those recipes are looking good as well. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!