Sunday 17 July 2011

Do not be afraid . . .




"Do not be afraid . . . for I myself will help you," declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. ~Isaiah 41:14

The very nature of love is trust, even when that very trust is being betrayed. Trust is what brings us closer to the Lord. Fear, however, can drive a wedge between us and Him.

Being afraid is woven into the very fabric of our lives. It is something which we cannot control. If you look at the scriptures however, we are told again and again . . . "Do not fear!" We are constantly told not to be afraid by a loving God who knows that we almost always are . . . and for good reasons. I don't think it's our fear that concerns him, as much as it the things that fear can cause us to do.

I know that I am not the person I want to be when I sit, trembling in the dark, feeling afraid of what's to come . . . I'm not the person I want to be or can be when I am swirling out of control in a raging river of fear . . . my mind circling around and around . . . what if . . . what if . . . what if . . .

I once read somewhere that "Courage is fear that has said it's prayers." and so . . . I pray daily for the strength to conquer mine. I believe that when I do so . . . when I ask God to look over my loved ones . . . when I ask God to guide my steps, to give me answers . . . to calm my fears . . . and then . . . I trust that He, in all of His infinite wisdom . . . will do so, then I am choosing faith over fear.



"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber." -Psalm 121:1-2

I know that Lura is feeling very afraid today. She has come through so much already and is doing so much better . . . but now faces another hurdle she needs to jump over. This morning, I just want to reassure her that her Heavenly Father loves and cares for her so very much, and that He will not drop her now. He has not brought her this far, through what he has brought her through, to abandon her at the doorway to whatever may lay ahead.



Today, Lura, as always . . . and tomorrow and every day that follows . . . your friends and family are upholding you in our prayers . . . prayers for strength, for the courage to face whatever may be, and for the healing that will come afterwards . . .

We love you.




(Picture from Martha Stewart)

*Crock Pot Brownies*
Makes 14
Printable Recipe

I've never heard of this before and am intrigued. I have not made them, but am seriously going to. They look fabulous and it won't heat up your kitchen baking them either! You will need a 5 quart crock pot. The finished product looks fudgy and delicious!

Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups flour, spooned and leveled
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate,chopped
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Spray your crock pot with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the ceramic insert with parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.

Place the butter and chocolate into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high, in 30 second increments, until melted. Stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs. Add the flour mixture, walnuts and chocolate chips, stirring only to combine. Don't overmix.

Spread this mixture into the crock pot insert, smoothing the top. Place the insert into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes longer. Remove insert from the crock pot. Run a knife around the edges of the brownie to loosen. Place the insert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Turn out onto work surface once cooled and cut into squares. Store finished brownies in an airtight container.



If Brownies aren't your cup of tea, perhaps Poached Vanilla Apricots are. Showing today on The English Kitchen.



4 comments:

  1. wowthose are really something,, I have never heard of these.I hope your dear friend finds comfort in your words Marie.You have such a wonderful way with words,, a true words smith you are.Have a super sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's true Marie but I once read that "Do not be afraid." is the most often spoken command by Jesus. And yet we worry and fret and fear. I do so wish I could hold on to that command all the time and not forget! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post dear Marie I was thinks in leave some words today to Lura, this is absolutely beauty and true, blessings and love my dear friend, Love yah! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fear can be so debilitating can't it? I have heard it is the opposite of faith and I believe that. We need to just let go and let God be in charge of His stewardship rather than us trying to force our will on to Him. Which doesn't work anyway, right?

    I have overcome a lot of my fears through faith and I am continuing to work on that. "Let
    Go and Let God" is a good quote from AA and I remind myself of it often when I feel fear creeping in to my life. It applies to everything not just alcohol.

    Hope Lura has done well!

    Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!