Thursday 20 October 2011

And so it goes . . .



Sorry for my absence yesterday morning. I was not feeling very well, and I am still not feeling very well this morning. This is me with about two hours of broken sleep. I could not stop coughing all night . . . and it is a deep tight cough that wracks my whole body from my head down to my toes. I almost choke each time.

I guess I will have to try to get in to see the Doctor today . . . I hate wasting a Doctor's time though . . . Our Doctor's practice has a sign on the wall telling patients that there is no cure for the common cold, and that they can do nothing for you.



I think I was ill with this same thing last year about this same time! It took me a long time to shake it. I would be still lolly gagging in bed but for the fact but the woman from the disability place is stopping by on her way to work this morning to show us the plans for the wet room the council will be putting in at some time over the next year. It's all go!

Our fridge concked out at the weekend. We've had it for almost 11 years now. It was still keeping things cold, but the freezer part was not working properly. As we had no plan for servicing it we decided it would probably be about the same cost to buy a new one as it would to have the repair people come out. So we went looking. We found one we liked at Curry's and at a reasonable price. They didn't have it in stock though and said that it was the end of the line and they would not be getting any more in, but that there were 4 just like it over in their discount shop. This is where things that have been damaged in transit etc. go to live. They might have a huge dent in them , or just a tiny scratch. We went to look and found a beautiful fridge that had hardly anything wrong with it . . . only a tiny dent at the back.



We spent most of yesterday morning taking everything out of the old fridge in preparation for the new fridge's arrival . . . Todd had our friend Billy come over to help put the old fridge in the garden to take it away. The fridge men came . . . but it didn't even make it off the truck. The guy took one look at the space it was going and said that it wasn't going to fit. A few measurements later and it was fact. It wasn't going to fit. So they had to take it back. We had to get Billy back over to put the fridge back in the house. We had to put everything back into it and then we had to go and get a refund from the store and look for another one. Happily we found another one, and for half the price so it's all good. That one will be delivered on Friday.

I spent the rest of the day laying on the sofa in my jim jams under a blanket though. It tired me right out. I couldn't go to my meeting last night and I won't be going to the Temple today. I definitely won't be visit teaching tomorrow. If I am slow to visit around please do forgive me. I'll be round once I begin to feel better.

I'll be resting up and trying to get well, and drinking lots of this . . . with lemon. It's great for colds and such.

Link

*Ginger Syrup*
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Printable Recipe

Ginger Syrup is easy to make and versatile in use. You can mix it into club soda or seltzer and serve it cold as Gingerale, or serve it hot as tea. Makes a wonderful drink when you have the sniffles or can feel them coming on.

1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of peeled fresh gingerroot, thinly sliced
2 TBS lemon juice

First make a simple syrup by mixing the sugar and the water in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the fresh ginger. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, then add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice. Strain into a container and refrigerate until ready to use.

*Note - you can use the ginger left in the pan to make a gingercake if you wish. Just blitz it in a food processor until it is finely chopped and stir it into your favourite gingercake batter.



In The English Kitchen today, some delicious Maple and Toasted Pecan Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!