Wednesday 1 February 2012

Wednesday Thoughts . . .

Source: imgfave.com via Marie on Pinterest



I cannot pretend to know a lot about American Politics. Having grown up in Canada and having experienced the Parliamentary System my whole life, it is somewhat of a mystery to me. What I have observed though is that it takes an awful long time to elect someone as President of the US of A. It seems to go on for several years before they actually are elected and it seems that almost as soon as one is elected, talk begins about the next one.

I do know as well, that although he is not a man I would have voted for, I was pleased a few years back when it became a reality that a black man became President of America. That showed the world that America had come a long way since it's earlier history. I didn't and don't agree with Obama on many levels, but that has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. I happen to have thought for a long time that Colin Powell would have made a great President. The colour of a man's skin should be irrelevant. Surely it should be "the best man for the job." End of.



I am watching with great interested this latest Presidential race, not the least because there is a Mormon man running for the head of the Republican Party, a man called Mitt Romney. Of course I am interested on a variety of levels, religion being only one of them. I am a Mormon, and of course this is a big thing to me.

What astounds me however is the number of people who are against this man, quite simply because he is a Mormon. Surely this shouldn't be an issue??? Surely it should not matter any more than it did that President Obama was black and had potential Islamic leanings??? (I know that this was proven not to be true, or at least I think it was.) Why should a man's religious background come in to it at all??? Why should it matter that he is a Mormon, any more than it should matter that he is Evangelical, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, or an Agnostic or Athiest???? I would think that the most important things would be that he is honest, law abiding, upstanding, decent, a man of great integrity and character and that his policies and goals be what will be in the best interests for America and Americans???

Source: flickr.com via Marie on Pinterest



I know I am a Brit/Canuck, and I don't really get a say in any of this, but the election of the leader of one of the most powerful nations in the world is a matter of interest around the world and to all peoples . . . I am willing to concede even that I am a bit biased because he is a Mormon . . . but I will also say that in having looked at all the Candidates, surely it is evident that America could do a lot worse than to elect a law abiding, man of character, decency and integrity, with nothing but the best interests of America and it's people in his heart and motives. A man who has maintained honesty and truth in all of his dealings, with no hint of scandal attached. A man loyal to his wife and his family and his country. A man who wants nothing but the best for his country because he understands that in working hard and providing the best for his country, he does so for his family and all the other law abiding, decent, honest and hard working people of America.

I think it's really sad that a Nation can pat itself on the back for having evolved enough to be able to elect a black man as President and then turn around and be against another man simply because of his religious affiliation.

Just sayin' is all . . .



Here is a delicious family comfort meal that my children always loved me to make when I was growing up. I loved it too, mostly because it only involved getting one pan dirty. I didn't have to cook the macaroni first, or fry the meat in another pan or anything. It all happened right there in the one skillet. A bit of cheese melted on top is a wonderful addition.



*Chili-Roni*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

This is a real family favourite. I haven't made it in years, but when I did make it my children were always very pleased!

1 pound extra lean ground beef
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

Cook and stir the ground beef, onions and green pepper in a 12 inch skillet until the beef is brown and the onions are tender. Drain if necessary. Stir in the remaining ingredients, breaking up the tomatoes. Heat to the boil, then reduce heat to a simme Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is tender. Serve hot.

Note: You can omit the macaroni and just cook uncovered vur about 45 minutes or until desired consistency. Then you have chili. Serve with cooked rice.



Cooking over in The English Kitchen today, some delicious Maple & Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!