Saturday 25 February 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . I remember, I remember



I remember, I remember
The house where I was born,
The little window where the sun
Came peeping in at morn;
He never came a wink too soon,
Nor brought too long a day,
But now I often wish the night
Had borne my breath away!



I remember, I remember
The roses, red and white,
The violets, and the lily cups,
Those flowers made of light!
The lilacs where the robin built,
And where my brother set
The laburnum on his birthday . . .
The tree is living yet!



I remember, I remember,
Where I used to swing,
And thought the air must rush as fresh
To swallows on the wing;
My spirit flew in feathers then,
That is so heavy now,
And summer pools could hardly cool
The fever on my brow!



I remember, I remember,
The fir trees dark and high,
I used to think their slender tops
Were close against the sky:
It was a childish ignorance,
But now 'tis little joy
To know I'm farther off from heaven
Than when I was a boy.
~Thomas Hood

Thomas Hood was a British Poet and humourest, born in London in 1799. "Next to being a citizen of the world," writes Thomas Hood in his Literary Reminiscences, "it must be the best thing to be born a citizen of the world's greatest city." Hood’s most widely known work during his lifetime was a poem titled "The Song of the Shirt", which was a lament for a poor London seamstress who had been compelled to sell shirts that she had made, the proceeds of which lawfully belonged to her employer, in order to feed her malnourished and ailing child. Hood also wrote humorously on many contemporary issues.

As I was reading through this poem, I was reminded of the way I saw the world when I was a child, how everything seemed so magical and how all things were possible . . . our spirits gliding through life as if on light. That is, as long as we are lucky enough to have been born into happy circumstances. I am sure that there are children in this world that have a completely different reality than this, and my heart aches for them . . . I wish truly that every child in this world could live a life free from care and woe . . .



I got the all clear from the hospital yesterday and was discharged from being a Gynological Patient, so that was great news. I had another scan and it was good, as were the blood tests. I was quite relieved. Although the biopsy before Christmas had come back negative, the fear was always there in the back of my mind, that perhaps on this three month check up things would not be as they should. I was greatly relieved to know that all was well.

I'm finding it really difficult coming up with recipes for both this blog and my food blog each day. I have decided that I will only on occasion show a recipe on here. I really want this page to be mostly food for the spirit. I know that I will lose readers because of that . . . but c'est la vie. There will be the occasional recipe, but food for the most part will be in The English Kitchen. I am happy with my decision, and I hope you all will understand. I may show you the odd craft and painting on here, but food will definitely be taking a back seat.

No plans for today. A bit of work, a bit of fun and everything in between. Life is good. Have a wonderful Saturday everyone and don't forget . . .

“What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are — and who we will become.”
― Dieter F. Uchtdorf



There's a pretty amazing Banana, Cranberry and Walnut Loaf baking in The English Kitchen today. Seriously, this is the best Banana Loaf I have ever baked or tasted!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!