Monday 13 February 2012

Things that bring me joy. . .



While you're waiting for tomorrow,

Get the best out of today.
While you're waiting for the sunshine
Don't complain of skies of grey.
While you wait for future pleasures
Don't forget the ones you've had.
Call to mind the things enjoyed,
The happy times, not the sad.

While you're waiting for the granting
Of the wish you hold most dear,
Don't lose sight of all the joys
That life offers now and here.
Times of waiting can be fruitful
And to you, much good can bring.
Make the winter yield a blessing
While you're waiting for the spring.
~Patience Strong

I was thinking this morning about all the wonderful things that I have in my life, despite the aches and pains that I suffer with from time to time . . . it is far better to dwell on the good in life rather than the bad . . .



Like sweet little comments left by a lovely daughter in law . . . that bring a smile to my face and warmth to my heart. My daughter of my heart Anne left some lovely comments on my Twinkle Twinkle post . . . a post which also inspired her to create a lovely video for me of the boys (lil G and lil L) singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for me as well as their own version, entitled Twinkle Twinkle Little Moon. Oh my but that did bring such joy into this grandmother's heart.

Things like little texts occasionally from my middle son . . . which simply say, "I love you mom." No other words are needed. It is enough to know that right there . . . in the middle of a busy day . . . he took the time to let me know that he was thinking about me in this very special way . . .



Stolen glimpses of a granddaughter, not yet met or held (yes, I am a FB picture thief) . . . but who has already got me wrapped around her little finger. What is it about grandchildren??? They don't have to do a thing . . . just be . . . and your heart is lost forever . . .

Getting called together with my Todd as Ward Missionaries. I have a missionary's heart and to know that Heavenly Father can see this in me as well . . . oh what a wonderful feeling that is. I love the Gospel, and it is something which I truly love to share with others . . . an awesome mantle to wear. I am truly humbled by the call . . . and as pleased as punch. I have so wanted to serve a mission for a number of years now, and whilst I know this is not quite the same as leaving home to go on a mission . . . it is a two year call, and I know we will do our best and enjoy every minute of it. Getting to do this with my husband is surely the icing on a very delicious cake.



Sitting on the sofa, together with my Todd and our Mitzie curled up between us. She is in her little piece of heaven on earth, sheltered between our two warm bodies . . . and we are in our own little piece of heaven, the three of us a family. We know we are where we are supposed to be, and there is so much joy felt in our hearts in this easy companionship and circle of love. This is what life is all about.

Love . . . it is the oil that keeps our engines running smoothly . . . the great motivator that helps to keep us putting one foot in front of the other . . . the thing that everyone longs to hold . . . the greatest treasure to be found in this life of ours, more precious than any gold or silver . . . the gift which brings immeasurable joy . . . and the gift which inspires you to give . . . the desire to pass it along . . .



Nobody knows what tomorrow brings . . . or where this life will take us. One thing we can count on though . . . is that joy is there in our every day, free for the taking . . . and that those who are truly happiest are those who have looked for and found a way to serve.

It's in the small and simple things . . . and it is the embodiment of love.

"Love wasn't put in your heart there to stay . . . love isn't love til you give it away . . ."
~unknown

Simple thoughts this morning. Hope your day is blessed and filled with little pockets of joy and love . . . don't forget to pass it along!

Here's a meal that my meat and potatoes loving husband just adores. I confess . . . I DO love it too!

*Pot Roast with Root Vegetables*
Serves 8

Tender and flavourful pot roast of beef, baked with delicious sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

1 TBS vegetable oil
1 boneless 3-3/12 pound roast beef for pot roasting (silverside, rolled brisket, chuck)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cups beef broth
2 TBS molasses
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 medium dark orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup water

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a 12 inch nonstick frying pan. Add the roast and brown it on all sides. Place the roast in the centre of an ungreased shallow roasting pan. sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Add the onion to the pan drippings. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until tender. Stir in the broth, molasses and thyme. Bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the mixture over the roast. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake for 1 hour. Loosen the foil and place the vegetables into the roaster around the meat. Recover and bake for an additional 1 to 1 1/4 hours longer, until the meat and vegetables are fork tender, removing the foil completely during the last 25 minutes.

Remove the roast and vegetables to a heated platter. Cover loosely to keep warm. Pour the pan juices into a saucepan. Whisk together the flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir this into the pan juices. Bring the pan juices/flour/water mixture to the boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and is smooth. Boil for one minute longer.

Cut the roast into slices to serve. Serve on heated plates with some of the vegetables on the side and the gravy spooned over top. Mashed potatoes go very well with this.



Baking in The English Kitchen today some delicious Herbed Oatmeal Pan Rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!