Friday 27 April 2012

Friday thoughts . . .


Source: bit.ly via Scott on Pinterest


There is nothing that brings a song into my heart more than the sight of one of the first harbinger’s of spring, the pussy willow. I can remember as a child, gathering bunches of them to grace our family home and being very excited to do so. Even now when I happen upon them I like to do the same. Their long slender twigs and soft grey buds make the finest of Springtime decorations.  I'm quite sure that the trees don't mind me borrowing just a few . . . 

 They're my only weakness . . . as Dorcas Lane would say.  (Do you not just love that series, Larkrise to Candleford???  I do.  I could watch them over and over again.)


There is a legend about how they came about, that I think is very sweet and lovely. A cat once gave birth to several unwanted kittens.  The cat's owner threw them into a river. As they floated off, the mother cat ran along the banks of the river mewing so plaintively that the willow trees bending down near the water took pity and leaned down their branches even lower so that the kittens could climb out to safety. Ever since then, we have had beautiful pussy willows every spring.

Somewhat of a tall tale to be sure, but how wonderful a thought . . .  and something to bring a smile to your face the next time you stroke one of those soft grey buds on a pussy willow branch.







It is at this time of year that I miss living in our little cottage down in Kent.  Surrounded by Orchards, the air would be full of the smell of apple wood burning as the farmer burnt his gleanings from the winter's pruning.  The orchards themselves were beginning to turn into a sea of beautiful blossom.  The Estate was always covered with Daffodils and tulips blooming profusely, in huge clumps, so very pretty.  The Daffodils were very early this year and are almost done now as are the tulips, but everywhere the trees are coming out in leaf and the birds are nesting.


One thing I miss most about down south is the great variety of birds we saw in our garden, and yes . . . I even miss the cheeky squirrels.  We get mostly sparrows here, and the odd robin or two.  Pigeons of course and morning doves.  Occasionally we will see a pair of Gold Finches at the finch feeder, which are always nice to see.  I have seen a pair of Kestrils flying overhead and a few days ago I actually saw a raven on the grass.  We are quite close to the Welsh mountains, so it had probably come down from there.  I miss all the tits and wagtails, etc. that used to visit our garden in Kent, but I am grateful for the birds we do get.  I have ever been an Ornithologist . . . commonly known as a Birdwatcher!!





That is a great love that both my sister and I share . . . watching and feed the birds.  When we lived a lot closer to each other and she would come to visit me, we often took ourselves off on bird watching walks together, and berry picking expeditions.  The largest bird we ever saw was a huge heron that was sitting on a fallen down tree near the pond by an old farmhouse my ex and I rented once upon a time.  We managed to get fairly close to it as well, before it flew off . . . gliding over our heads as it left . . . amazing us with it's wingspan as it did.


I guess I've always been a nature lover and that is something that Todd and I also share with each other and one of the things that made us fall in love with each other . . . our mutual love of all that our Heavenly Father has created.  Tis a wonderful thing, being able to share these things with the one that you love . . . oh . . . yes, I am so very blessed.  ☺


A few days ago a friend asked me if I would do one of my paintings, using a scripture that she loved, but with a little boy and a girl in it.   I was happy to do so as I loved the scripture as well . . . and as you know I do love to paint.


 

This is what I came up with.  I quite enjoyed doing it and I think I have managed to create some clouds in the sky as well.  It's not perfect, but I think I learn something new each time I sit down to create in this way.  I so wish I had been allowed to go to Artschool when I was younger . . . but alas, I was not.  Nevermind, I am enjoying figuring things out as I go along!

I have something very tasty to show you this morning.  I hope you will forgive me . . . this is quite quite QUITE scrummy.  I think this will be our new garlic bread . . .I may never make the other kind ever again.

 

Cooking in The english Kitchen today, Onion, Garlic and Cheese Pluckit Bread.

“We are not perfect. The people around us are not perfect. People do things that annoy, disappoint, and anger. In this mortal life it will always be that way. Nevertheless, we must let go of our grievances. Part of the purpose of mortality is to learn how to let go of such things. That is the Lord’s way. Remember, heaven is filled with those who have this in common: They are forgiven. And they forgive.” ~Dieter F Uchtdorf


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!