Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, April 3rd, 2012...

Outside My Window...

It is cool, wet, and the sky is just beginning to lighten up. They say winter is returning for the rest of the week, with snow expected in Scotland for Easter, if not already. On the news last night it looked like it was already snowing in the higher areas of Scotland. I do hope our plum tree doesn't lose all of it's blooms.

I am thinking...
About all the lovely talks we got to listen to this past weekend at one of the Bi-Annual Conferences of our church. There was a definite theme running through them all . . . repentance, forgiveness (both for ourselves and for others), healing our relationships and families . . . I felt a sense of urgency, that time is running out quickly and that we must act now . . . before it is too late.

I am thankful for...
My membership in such a church as the one I belong to. I have attended many churches through the years of my life, and have always enjoyed going to church and fellowshipping with other believers . . . and there was nothing wrong with the others, but the church I go to now has many precious things that I have never experienced in any other church I have gone to. I am not sure that I can even explain it adequately in words. The Spiritual Nourishment that we get is beyond compare. The love and attention of our leaders. Their examples . . . their service to us. This truly IS the Saviour's church, and I am so very grateful to have found my way there and to now be on the path that is the right path for me.

As I listened to the various talks, I realized that I have been clinging on to things from the past that I need to let go of . . . that I need to truly forgive those that I bear grudges against, those who I feel have hurt me, and who continue to hurt me . . . not just say that I forgive them, but to truly forgive them, deep in my heart, with all of my heart and not just my words. If I truly forgive them, then I must be able to more past the scars and arrows of the past. I need to forgive myself. I need to find some way to heal the rift in my family, and if that means laying aside my pride and humbling myself to do so, then that is what I need to do.

From the kitchen...
There is rhubarb pie . . .

I am wearing...
A blue nightie, some jimjam bottoms, my robe and slippers. Yep . . . it's cold again.

I am creating...




Here is what I did yesterday afternoon. It is a little fairy sitting on the back of a robin sitting on the branch of a tree in springtime bloom. The words say this:

"What we love, determines what we seek. What we seek, determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines what we become." -Dieter F Uchtdorf

This is a quote from President Uchtdorf that I truly love. It is a reminder to me that I must keep a lofty perspective of things in this life of mine. That I should lay up my treasures in heaven and not put my faith and love into the things of this earth that I will not be able to carry with me from this life into the next. That those things which are truly important are my faith in the Saviour, my love of family and friends . . . my love of my fellow man, kindness and service to others. These are the things which are of intrinsic value, nothing else really matters in the scheme of things eternally.

I am going...
I have my reading lesson this morning and then this afternoon we are going to be travelling in to town to do some Missionary work. Tomorrow begins the work of replacing our kitchen floor with new ceramic tile. It will be a two day job, even though the kitchen is not very big. It will be a bit inconvenient for a couple of days, and a bit of a mess for a couple of days, but the end result will be worth all the hard work.

I am reading...



The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before—and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

Set in a future country that was once known as America, a set of cruel and sadistic games take place, as a punishment to the districts for an earlier rebellion. Twelve boys and twelve girls from the differing districts must battle in a futuristic arena - a battle to the death - in which only one can survive. When Katniss Everdeen steps up to take her younger sister's place in the games, she holds little hope that she'll survive, with the weight of the world on her shoulders - can she withstand the veritable death sentence before her?

This book was recommended to me by a friend and I have to say that even though I have only just begun to read it, I am totally smitten by it. There are a further two novels in this trilogy set, and I think it's safe to say I will probably read them all!!

STILL enjoying this! I am on the last few pages and will be soon finished. I already have another book waiting in the wings, but shhhh . . . I won't tell you about it just yet!

I am hoping...
I can get all the things sorted out today that I need to sort out before the work on the floor begins tomorrow. The refrigerator will have to be moved out into the lounge temporarily and the washer and dishwasher will need to be put outside for a couple of days. Someone was telling me a few weeks ago that they had put their stove out by the door while they were doing something in the kitchen and when they went to get it to put it back in it was gone!!!

I am hearing...
Nothing new really. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking. A pretty normal morning I would say.

Around the house...

Source: google.com via Marie on Pinterest



I just love this idea of having a dining booth in the house. How cosy and comfortable that looks. What do you think??? Of course you would need to have just the right space to put something like this, and we don't . . . but a gal can dream can she not??? I think it's just wonderful!

One of my favourite things . . .
I love clocks.



Big clocks, small clocks, old clocks, new clocks. I love them all. There is something about the sound of a clock ticking that brings me comfort. I love Westminster chimes. I just LOVE clocks!

If I could change one thing it would be...
Love changes everything. I would put more love into the world.

I am looking forward to ...
Getting the kitchen floor finished and the job over with.

One of my favourite things ...
Is sharing my thoughts with you each morning. I wish that more of you would comment, but I hope that you get something out of the thoughts and words that I share. That is more important to me than any number of comments. I share because I want to help and hopefully inspire. That's all that really matters. In doing so I feel like I have made a difference, and what are we here for, on this beautiful planet, if not to make a difference . . .

A few plans for the rest of the week...
There will be a bit of work, a bit of play and everything in between. Life is good.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...





“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
~Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I truly believe that life is better if you seek out the good in every day, in every moment. Just the be here at all is a miracle and a gift with a worth beyond measure. Look for the light in every day. It's there . . . I promise you . . . it's there.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
~William James (1842 - 1962)

Think about it . . .

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!




Cooking in The English Kitchen today, a good Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie. From the Purity Cookbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!