Thursday 26 April 2012

Thursday morning prattle




Well, the weather here in the UK has been really pants this past week.  Rain, rain and . . . even more rain!  Mitzie just sits at the window and looks out at the back garden with longing.  I don't think that being out in the rain would bother her overly much, but it's far too mucky out there when it's wet like this and so we keep her away from it.  I guess this is well and truly April Showers time.

The weather seems to be changing all over the world.  The seasons seem to be swinging back and forth and not what they've always been.  They are calling for the coldest May here in one hundred years, with cold temps and maybe even snow in some places.  That always fascinates me that they can predict things like that.  They don't seem to be able to predict the weather with any accuracy on a daily basis over here (it's so changeable), but they can predict weather a month ahead???  Hmm . . . I hope they are wrong.  On a positive note though, they have said that June/July and August are going to be quite nice!  We shall see!

I've been enjoying reading Stephanie Neilson's book, Heaven Is Here.  I almost cannot put it down. It's not that the writing is brilliant, although it's quite good to be sure . . . I think it's because it's a true story and because I have read her blog for years, it feels like I am reading about a friend.  (Although in complete honesty, she would not know who I was from a hole in a wall!)  I lay there in bed last night and was reading about her first few hours after she regained consciousness after her accident.  She'd been in a coma for months and months.  It was quite horrifying . . . she could hear everyone around her, but was unable to speak or move much except for her eyes.


Source: tumblr.com via Marie on Pinterest


That has always been a nightmare thought of mine . . . being trapped in my body and feeling helpless.  I can remember when I was a young mum, being afraid that I would have a stroke or something during the night and that nobody would know.  That somehow my children would end up starving to death because I was a carrot or a potato laying upstairs in my bed unable to communicate ot let anyone know something was wrong.  Did anyone else ever worry about things like this???  I was often on my own with the children because my husband was in the Military and away.   It seemed like for every week he was at home, he was away for another two!  If anything had happened to me, my babies would have literally been on their own.

I was talking to a young mum the other day and related to her that when I had my fourth baby, I had three in diapers.  I look back on those days now and am amazed at how well I coped with it all.  Because my oldest daughter was developmentally handicapped, she wasn't trained until she was about 4 years old.  There was only 23 months between her and her yonger sister, and then I had a new born, who was only 22 months younger than her!  Three in diapers, not a pamper in sight.  It would have been far too expensive to use disposable diapers.  Somehow I managed to cope with it all, but it amazes me now.




I also suffered with mild post natal depression.  It wasn't something that was really recognized back then though.  I just somehow managed to get through it in silence.  My husband was away a lot of the time, and believe it or not, I didn't have any friends that I could talk to.  We used to joke that everytime I got pregnant it was a sign that we would be moving. Amazingly enough this was true.  Other than my first child, I never gave birth in a place that was even remotely close to family, and I had always just moved to a new place, so I had never had a chance to make new friends either!!  I can remember looking at all the other new mums during my stays in the hospital, with all of their flowers, cards and visitors . . .  and feeling quite, quite lonely.

But I got through it . . . as we do.  Life goes on and we end up stronger for having experienced what we've experienced.  That's a good thing really.


I fell completely in love with this afghan on Pinterest yesterday!  Don't you think it's beautiful??  I am going to make one like this for myself.  It looks as pretty as a flower garden, and in fact it's called Flowers in a Row.  It reminds me of the counted cross stitch that I used to do.  I always loved to do samplers, and if they were garden samplers I loved them most of all.  I only ever very rarely got any of it framed.  Much of it is laying in a box up in the loft.  I always loved doing counted cross stitch, but we could never really afford to have it framed properly.  I haven't don any in years now . . . my eyes just don't co-operate with all of that fine work anymore.  We do get older don't we, and things change, so do our interests.

As a younger woman I used to do a lot of sewing, crochet, cross stitch, etc.  I never had the time to paint though.  Painting requires time and a space to be able to do it where you can be completely alone . . . I have that now, but I didn't have that back then.  It was much easier to pick up a crochet hook, needle and thread or knitting needles.  I could do that as I sat and watched the children play.  It didn't require my total concentration.   Anyways, I think I am going to crochet myself this afghan.  It's something I can do in the evenings while we are watching the television.  A no-brainer really.

I was thinking yesterday afternoon, that I would love to host a Bridal Shower for my daughter during the time I am home for her wedding.  We will be there for about two weeks, one week before the wedding and one week afterwards.  It would be nice to have a get together with all of my cousins and such,  and do something like this for her.  I am sure there will be other showers for her, but I won't be over there for them, and I seriously doubt that any of my family will be invited, so this would be an opportunity for my family to shower her with love and good wishes.  I'm going to ask my mom on Sunday if this would be possible.  (It will be in her house so it's probably best to get permission first I think!)  Exciting times!



I have ordered these bed linens as a wedding gift for them.  She was telling me on the phone the other day that they have bought themselves a bedroom set and she has a "Bed in a Bag," which has pretty much everything in it for one bed .  I thought it would be nice for them to have another set to use so that they can change their bedding every week.  I have this set myself and it's quite gorgeous!  I hope that she will like it.  It's also something that we will easily be able to take over with us in our suitcases.  There won't be a lot of time for shopping once we get there and they are shutting down the local Zellers as well, so there really won't be anyplace nearby to shop either.  Apparently they are putting in a Wal-mart, but that won't be until August so I hear.  I don't know what my mom will do without Zellers!  She shops there every week when she can.  She loves their Senior's day where she gets a further discount on all of their sale prices.  I think she has enough toilet paper bought and stored to keep her going for a few years!!  I kid you not.  She also has years of points collected as well.  I hope she'll be able to use them at some point.

Well, I have probably prattled on for long enough this morning!  You're probably quite, quite tired of it all by now.  Some days I am inspiring, and some days I just prattle on.  I hope it's a happy mix!  I won't be completely un-inspiring today though as I'll leave you with a happy thought!

“Love is the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is not found only at the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, and from it springs the beauty that arched across the sky on a stormy day. Love is the security for which children weep, the yearning of youth, the adhesive that binds marriage, and the lubricant that prevents devastating friction in the home; it is the peace of old age, the sunlight of hope shining through death. How rich are those who enjoy it in their associations with family, friends, and neighbors! Love, like faith, is a gift of God. It is also the most enduring and most powerful virtue.” ~Gordon B Hinckley

Happy Thursday one and all!



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, Parmesan Crusted Turkey Steaks with a  Tomato and Peppadew Relish!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!