Tuesday 8 May 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook




FOR TODAY, May 8th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

Itlooks like the sun might be going to shine . . . I don't want to really say that out loud though . . . just in case!!

I am thinking...
I have been listening to a radio station on the computer lately.  It's on Shout Cast and is a 70's pop station.  Sure takes me back when I hear these old songs from when I was a teen.  It's funny the way that music and lyrics can take you back in your mind to a different time and you can remember the way you were feeling and thinking back then.  I don't feel much different inside, other than having matured a bit, than I did back then.  It's pretty much only the outside that has changed.  Boy, oh boy, has the outside ever changed! lol


I am thankful for...

 My Todd.  He is my best friend and I just cannot imagine a life without him in it. We share so much and spend pretty much all of our time together, unless I am up in my "studio"  working, or he is out in the garden working.  When we were first married, we even worked together at a service station, on the same shift, because I didn't drive over here at that point.  It was so far out of the city, and the hours were such that I would never have been able to get a bus there, so we just worked the same shifts.  It was great!  Not many married people could handle spending that much time together, but it is peachy keen for us to!  I suppose we are making up for all those years we didn't have with each other before . . . life before Marie & Todd.  Hard to believe that time ever existed!

From the kitchen...
Well . . . um . . . there's not a lot.  I'm really slipping aren't I!!   I may get in the kitchen today and do something . . . we'll see how it goes!


I am wearing...
Pink nightie (M&S) robe (again M&S) and slippers (WOW M&S again!)


I am creating...

 


I did this yesterday afternoon.  A friend wanted me to do something to celebrate her granddaughter graduating from high school.  I really like the way it turned out, and thankfully so did she!  A pretty little girl seated on "learning."  I love the quote from the late President Hinckley too.  It seemed very apt.


I am going...
I don't have a lot on this week, which is good!  I have Missionary Correlation on Thursday evening, but that's pretty much it.  Missionary work and a few bits and bobs.  Sounds good to me.  I like a slow week once in a while, don't you?


I am reading...



Heaven Is Here, by Stephanie Nielson
 
I have been reading the story of Stephanie Nielson, who blogs over on The NieNie Dialogues.  She was in a really bad accident  in 2008 when the light plane her husband and his flight instructor were flying crashed.  She was burned in over 80% of her body and her life changed completely.  She has been an inspiration to so very many people in the world since then, with her honest and poignant writings.  I am a fan and I am really enjoying her book.  I find her so very inspiring.  Life is interesting isn't it.  I am sure that when she started her blog, a number of years before the accident, she had no idea of the impact it would have on so many people's lives and the influence she would have.  I am sure that she would much rather have not had to endure that horrible accident and the pain and challenges she has had to endure since that time . . . and I wish too, that she hadn't had to . . . but in having done so, she has been able to turn what was a really horrible negative into a positive and inspired people all around the world.  That is the power of the Gospel.  It can help anyone to turn a horrible negative into a positive.  I am almost finished this book now.  I highly recommend it to anyone.


 I am hoping...
Isent some of my work off to an agent the other day.  I am hoping for something positive to come from that.  We shall see.


I am hearing...
Nothing new really. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking. It's very quiet actually . . . a typical early morning.

Around the house...



I have always wanted to have one of these in  my bath.  Look how very whimsical this one is with the built in candle holders!!  I just think that is soooooo neat!  Oh, and the magic mirror too . . . Mirror, mirror on the stand . . . this bath accessory would be ideal to have for a very pampered bath.  I remember when my children were all growing up it always seemed that as soon as I got into the bath that was when they all  needed me for something.  Now I don't have that problem anymore . . . but . . . with my arthritis I have a hard time getting in and out of the bath.    Hopefully they will be putting in our wetroom soon and then I won't have a bath at all.  A shower will be nice though.  I can't wait!


One of my favourite things . . .
I bring a cookbook to bed with me every night, as well as my kindle and another book . . . whichever one I am reading at any given time.  I look through the cookbook, thinking about and flagging recipes I might want to try at some point . . . I read the real book for a time, and then I finish off with the kindle as it's a lot easier on my arthritic wrists to hold.  I love reading in bed.  Always have done.  Always will.


Something new about me ...
When I was 15 my best friend at the time, Linda, and myself used to practice slow dancing up in her room on Friday nights.  She was the only daughter in her family and she had her own record player and every 45 record any teen girl could want to have.  She had a hook on her bedroom door and we would hang her bathrobe (on a hanger) on this hook and take turns dancing with it . . . practicing for all those slow dances that we just knew all the boys at school would be lining up to dance with us for.  Oh, the number of girlish and innocent daydreams I had with the feel of terry cloth against my cheek . . . and the Righteous Brothers or some other romantic song playing in my ear . . . they were special times with a great friend.  We lost touch a number of years back.  I looked for her for a long time, but found out last year that she had passed away from cancer about 6 months before.  :-(


One of my guilty pleasures ...
I love Wine Gums, those chewy candies.  When I was married before I was only ever allowed to have the black ones, because those were the ones he didn't like.  That was ok, I liked the black ones.  They taste like black currant and I love that flavour.  Now I can eat whichever colour I want, which is ok too!  Todd doesn't like Wine Gums very much.


Pet Peeves...
Bread which you buy one day and which goes mouldy within a couple of days.  Bread doesn't seem to go stale anymore!  Has anyone else noticed this???

 Here is picture thought I am sharing...









“Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children are gone,
All except one, and that's little Ann,
For she crept under the frying pan."

I've been saying this little ditty every time I see a ladybird since I was a child.  I love ladybirds.  I don't know why . . . they just seem to have a certain charm, and seem quite, quite magical to me.  I like to make wishes on them, just as I do on stars and dandelion fluff . . . I hope I never grow up and forget the magic of wishes.  I hope that I always carry that joy of whimsical hope in my heart.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

 

"Mediocrity will never do.  You are capable of something better."
~Gordon B Hinckley

We need to always be mindful of how very special we each are and all that we are capable of.  We are not unimportant in the scheme of things and without purpose.  We are daughters and sons of a Heavenly Father and created for and meant to live a much greater life than most of us settle for.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


 




Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Dressed Club Sandwich Sarnies!  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!