Monday 4 June 2012

The Jubilee Pageant that was . . .




Happy Monday everyone! The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day! Just perfect for the Jubilee Celebrations that will continue on this day!  There is to be a fabulous concert tonight at Buckingham Palace, but don't worry if you weren't able to get a ticket.  It is going to be on the telly, so we can all have a front row seat. I, for one, will be glued to mine!


Source: metro.co.uk via Marie on Pinterest


Didn't you think that Britain showed the world the wonderful stuff that she is made of yesterday??  I was so proud.  The weather was absolutely deplorable!  It was tipping down up here in Chester, and I don't think it was any better down south, but the people were still out in droves all up and down the Thames, watching that beautiful flotilla of boats . . . the Jubilee River Pageant.   The parks were filled with people dancing and celebrating, in and out of costume.  The spirit was just wonderful!  There was a definite air of celebration in abundance!  Never again, will we see this in "our" lifetimes.  It was history in the making and I was so happy to be able to be a part of it, if only from the sidelines!



I thought Kate looked absolutely beautiful in her scarlet finery!  What a stunning Royal she has become, and a beautiful addition to the Royal family.  I thought she looked very thin though.  I think she needs to come and see me . . . I'm only just down the road afterall . . . I'll fatten her up with some of my home cooking! 


All those boats were just wonderful and the people in them worked so hard rowing them down that river in what could not have been worse weather.  But everyone was sooo cheerful and happy to do so!  I was amazed.  I loved the New Zealand contingent.  Who doesn't love a Hukka??  (I bet I spelt that wrong!)


But the real star of the day was the Queen herself.  She looked absolutely radiant!  She was truly enjoying herself.  You could tell.  You just can't fake that . . . and she stood the whole way down the river on the Royal Barge, waving to everyone who had gathered to watch!  What a fabulous monarch she is.  I just adore her.  I don't know how anyone can not adore her.  If you don't, I don't want to hear about it!  You'll never convince me that she is not who I think and feel that she is . . . the perfect Queen!

Source: metro.co.uk via Marie on Pinterest

I had almost bought Todd and I some of these masks, but I thought he'd be annoyed at me wasting the money . . . but it would have been fun to have had them though, don't you think??  The ones I was looking at though were a bit nicer than these  . . .  the Queen was wearing her crown and looking decidedly happier!!  Oh, I do love the Queen, can't you tell???  It's absolutely true.



She was an absolute stunner when she was a young woman.  I have always thought she was beautiful.  In fact my mother and she bear a distinct resemblance to each other and never more so than when they were both young.  My mother is a few years younger than the Queen, I hasten to add . . . for fear I will annoy my mother by making people think they are the same age!



Well, perhaps my mother was a bit prettier . . . and maybe I am a bit biased to think so.  When we were children . . .  my sister, brother and I all thought that the picture of that woman on our money . . . well that was our mother, you know!  And . . . my mother never did anything to dissuade us from thinking so either!   At any rate . . . I think they are both pretty classy women!

I was so proud of my country yesterday . . . this land that I love,  this beautiful country which has taken me into her heart with open arms and made me one of their own.  We may have our problems, like most countries do nowadays . . . but I think we showed the world that we are still a great and wonderful country, filled with fabulous people, with an indominitable spirit and grace.  This is the spirit which makes Britain, GREAT Britain, and the spirit which draws people from all over the world to want to come and sample some of it!

We are a special people, truly.

"Be England what she will. With all her faults, she is my country still".
~Charles Churchill



Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . Peanut Butter and Jam Cookie Cups!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!