Saturday 11 August 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . Linnet



I heard a linnet through the trees,
jauntily, upon the breeze;
a joyous burst of gilded song
that pierced my heart, sweet and long,
and shivered on the air.



All fell still to hear the notes
that dipped and soared and seemed to float;
leaf and bough reached reverently,
grasses raised their heads to see
the psalm ascending there.



I know why angels leave their berth,
I know where Heaven kisses earth . . .
beyond the stand of low-limed arch,
beneath the forest's fragrant arch,
to bless the linnet fair.
~Rachel Wallace-Oberle (The Fireside Book of David Hope, 2010)

RachelWallaceOberle.JPG














Rachel Wallace Oberle has an education in radio and television broadcasting, as well as print journalism. She writes for various magazines, newspapers, anthologies and agencies, some of which have taken her from the broadcasting booth to the mountains of rural Haiti.

She is Canadian. I had actually never heard of her until this morning when I came across this poem in The Fireside Book of David Hope, 2010 and then I looked her up on Google and found that she was Canadian. I am a wonderful lover of Birds and this poem pricked my heart this morning as I do so love to listen to their song . . . and I could not remember ever having heard a linnet to my knowledge. And so . . . I did what anyone might do in these modern times . . . I looked up the song of the linnet on YouTube and guess what I found. Bingo! A linnet singing, so pause the music below (at the bottom of the page) and then click on the video if you want to hear something which is incredibly beautiful.



and now you too, have heard a linnet's song. Don't you just love this modern miracle called the internet??? The whole world is on tap at your fingertips . . . both the good and the bad. I prefer to dwell on the good.

Source: flickr.com via Layla on Pinterest



We were thinking we may go to the Chester Zoo today. We have never been in all the time I've lived over here . . . and Todd's never been in his life! We thought it may be about time we went. It is the largest and supposedly the nicest zoo in the UK. I have mixed feelings about zoos . . . a part of me loves to see the animals in real time, animals that I would never have been able to see otherwise, in real life . . . but then there is a part of me that sorrows that they are in an environment, no matter how wonderful it may be, that is not natural to them . . . captive in a world not of their choice. I don't know how else to explain it. In any case as long as it isn't tipping down rain (and it looks quite gloomy at the moment) we plan on taking in the zoo today. We shall see.



Those of you who are on Facebook would have seen this, but those of you who aren't will be seeing this for the first time. My latest Christmas Card effort for this year. I quite like it myself. A birdhouse in the winter . . .

Oh, haha, I just realized I started off with a poem about a bird . . . and now I'm showing you a Christmas Bird house . . . funny how that goes . . .

"Live is a paradise for those who love many things with a passion."
~Leo Buscaglia


Wherever you go, whatever you do, whomever you are with on this August Saturday, may you love something with a passion and find your paradise.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . scrummy Rhubarb Puddings. (Gluten Free)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!