Tuesday 7 August 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, August 7th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

The sky is overcast . . . no surprise there! The sun is trying to peek out though. It remains to be seen what the day will bring. We'll just have to take what comes and make the best of whatever!

I am thinking...
We are tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe. You cannot educate a man wholly out of the superstitious fears which were implanted in his imagination, no matter how utterly his reason may reject them.
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809 - 94)

I think what this is saying is that most of what we know, what we learn and what we believe . . . comes from our early childhood experience. For instance, my mother did not like spiders. I do not like spiders . . . I do think it is possible to change this early tattooing however. When I find out how, I'll let you know!!! lol (I'll probably always not like spiders.)

I am thankful for...
My calling in Relief Society and my charge to serve the sisters in my Ward and community. I do love them so, and that's not just words.

From the kitchen...
You are probably getting tired of hearing this. Not a heck of a lot! I guess when you are slimming you don't really want a lot of goodies hanging about. I tend to cook those in very small quantities nowadays. I let Todd have his fill and then pass them on to our elderly friend. It's just best that way. It's working though . . . because to date I have lost about 10 kilos. (Around 22 pounds or so.)

I am wearing...

A white M&S cotton nightie, printed with small mauve viola sprigs, with some lace and mauve ribbon on the bodice and some small pearl buttons. I love M&S nighties. When I was younger I might have gone for Victoria's Secret nightware . . . but now it's M&S! Does that mean I am turning into an old fogie???

I am creating...

I have a few irons in the fire.



About half done. It's looking really nice. I am really enjoying it. It gives me something to do with my hands in the evening when we are watching the telly. I do about 2 repeats of the pattern most nights. I know . . . that's not a lot is it? I should be doing more. If I was doing more, then it would probably be done by now!



I did this yesterday. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I thought it may end up being a letter from Santa, or maybe even a child's letter TO Santa. I'm thinking about it . . . which do you think would be best???



Then there is this "Holiday" card which I did last week. I am hoping to get more painting time this week. We'll just have to see what happens!!

I am going...
I am going to get my hair cut tomorrow and there is Pot Luck at our church later this week, but blessedly there is nothing else on my agenda. If we have a nice day one day Todd and I might go out in the car. AN easy week. We all need one of those once in a while.
I am reading...




Call the Midwife, by Jennifer Worth
I really enjoyed the series by the BBC and thought I would like to read the book. Books are always a lot more detailed than films or television shows. I am really enjoying this book. It's fabulous and I am glad that I picked it up to read. It details the life of a young midwife in London's East End in the 1950's and is a real peek into the way of life which existed there during that time period . . . the hardship, the poverty, the sadness, the joy, etc. I highly recommend.

Still reading this.




Peony In Love, by Lisa See
I love Lisa See novels. I am very interested in Oriental culture.

“I finally understand what the poets have written. In spring, moved to passion; in autumn only regret.”

For young Peony, betrothed to a suitor she has never met, these lyrics from The Peony Pavilion mirror her own longings. In the garden of the Chen Family Villa, amid the scent of ginger, green tea, and jasmine, a small theatrical troupe is performing scenes from this epic opera, a live spectacle few females have ever seen. Like the heroine in the drama, Peony is the cloistered daughter of a wealthy family, trapped like a good-luck cricket in a bamboo-and-lacquer cage. Though raised to be obedient, Peony has dreams of her own.

All are on my Kindle. It's so much easier to manage in bed than a book, and a lot easier on my wrists.

I am hoping...

I will be turning 57 next week. When I was younger I could never have imagined being 57. It sounds so old to me and it seems to have crept up on me ever so quickly. Todd will be 74 the first week of September. I am ever mindful these days, of how very precious our time together is. I am hoping that we still have quite a few years left together, but one never knows . . . everything can change in an instant . . .

I am hearing...
Nothing new really. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking.
Mitzie and I just had a cuddle on the sofa. She likes her morning cuddle. I do too. No surprise there! My plays list of music on here is playing in the background. I love this music.

Around the house...





I am loving these decoupaged stools. I am keeping my eye open for an old chair or stool that I can do something like this with. I think they are so pretty. Not sure where I would put it though. Perhaps in the kitchen as a sit-upon for when I am working in there. Or a wooden step stool would be nice done this way . . . for me to use to get into the top cupboards. I'll just have to wait and see what I find!
One of my favourite things . . .



I am totally in love with potholders. I especially love these vintage ones and I have a few of them. Mostly though I just have quilted ones.

Strawberries and Gingham Potholder

I have quite a few of these lovely ones that I bought from the Scrap Happy Shop on Etsy. They're very well made, and I just adore all the different fabrics she uses. I think I have about half a dozen or so of these ones. They wash really well and are really easy to use. In fact . . . I just LOVE them! I bet you would too!

Something new about me ...
I an quite squeamish when it comes to certain foods. There is no way on earth that you would ever get me to try Escargots or Frog's Legs, at least not knowingly. Well, I think it would be really difficult to disguise a snail . . . and frog legs . . . at any rate. I don't care how delicious other people think these things are . . . I'm not eating them. No way, no how . . . never. It's the same with Squid. Not eating that either, and I hate oily fish. Salmon is as oily as I get.

One of my guilty pleasures ...

Ok . . . I like Cheese puffs. Cheesie, Wotsits, Cheetos . . . whatever you call them where you live. Those light little airy puffs of artificial cheese flavoured scrumminess. I love them.

Pet Peeves...
Regional dvd's. Why can't all dvd's be multi-regional. We do have a multi-regional dvd player at the moment, so we can play them, but I wish all dvd players would be multi-regional and also the dvd's. Are blue ray dvd's multi-regional??? Does anyone know???

Here is picture thought I am sharing...





It's just a bad day, it's not a bad life. Smile!

I think we need to remind ourselves of this when things seem to be going wrong. Everyone has days when they burn the toast or stub their toes.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"I hold to my ideals because, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." ~Anne Frank (1929-45)

Source: piccsy.com via Marie on Pinterest



And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)



Cooking over in The English Kitchen today . . . a delicious Roasted Potato Salad with a Cumin and Yoghurt Dressing.

Don't forget to smile today! I love you and God does too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!