Tuesday 11 September 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .


FOR TODAY, September 11th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

The sun is just rising, but the sky looks somewhat clear.  I can see a few clouds outside the window in front of me, but they have a red-pink glow about them . . . red sky at morning?  Perhaps there is hope . . . as it is only red cloud at morning . . .

I am thinking...
"Good and Evil have the same face; it all depends on when they cross the path of each individual human being."

~Paulo Coehlo, the devil and miss prym It is hard to believe that is has been 11 years since 9/11.  I wonder what we have learned in that space of time.  I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news came over our television.  I had just gotten home from work.  (I worked in a Care Home.)  Todd was at his job as a Parking Lot Attendant.  He had a little shack that he sat in all day, taking in the pounds . . . he had a little kettle in there and a small television, his books.  The phone rang at the house and it was Todd.  "Turn on the telly." he said "You aren't going to believe this."  and so I did.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  The whole world lost a sense of innocence that day.  That was the day we realized that there were people out there who would do absolutely EVERYTHING within their power to destroy us, and that there was NOTHING they wouldn't do.  We must never become complacent about what happened.  We must never forget.  We must forever be on our guard.  Evil comes with many faces.  We cannot always recognize it.

I am thankful for...
I am so very grateful for my faith and my God, my Heavenly Father, who sent my older brother to die for me, so that I could return home.  He has never required that I die for Him, or that I kill any of my brothers and sisters as well.  In fact life is sacred to Him.  All life . . .

From the kitchen...
I had really hoped yesterday that I could get some baking done.  It is our friend Doreen's birthday today, but alas our power was turned off and we had a man in and out of the kitchen and beneath the stairs (the door is in the kitchen) all day yesterday.  I didn't dare stick anything in the oven until after they left for fear of what might happen!  He is back today, but I do hope that my power is not off for very long.  Sigh . . . it's amazing how reliant we are on it!

I am wearing...

A blue nightie and my croc sandles. It's getting cooler though , so will have to dig out my robe soon. Autumn is definitely looming!

I am creating...




Working on
my Christmas cook-booklet, and have it about 3/4 finished!  Yayy!!  It will soon be available for purchase.  This one is a bit larger than the past couple of ones.





I have one of my bird houses almost finished.  I need to do some antiquing and painting here and there, but this is it so far.  I used Tilda papers, which I love.  I love Tilda anything!

It is hard to believe it started out like this.  One down, two to go!



Now, I am also working on these
kitchen match boxes for a group that I belong to on facebook.  We were asked to take a kitchen match box and create something with it.  There should be a gift inside the box as well.  This is my outside.  It is about 4 inches by 6 inches in size I think.  I was thinking of making it into a sewing kit.  I have some lace and floss cards that I printed out as well as some button cards.  I hope to put some bits and bobs of antique looking lace etc on the lace cards and some antique-ish buttons on the button cards and I want to make one of these . . . 


Source: etsy.com via Marie on Pinterest

Isn't that just the cutest finger pin cushion you've ever seen?  I know!  Sweet, sweet, except mine will have a rose theme.

I am going...
 
Nowhere until the weekend at any rate! Work continues on the bath.



We now have a toilet.  It's a disabled toilet though, so my feet don't touch the floor.  We'll have to figure out something to fix that.  Perhaps a little foot stool.

 

The tiling is all done except for the grouting.  Looks nice so far and there has been an exhaust fan put in over where the sink will be.  Much better than the grate that was there before.  I think the bathroom will be a lot warmer now.

 
and we have a nice new ceiling fixture.  

I don't think it will be long now before it is all done.  I am hoping only a couple more days, fingers crossed!!  I have someplace that I am going on Saturday, but I'm not allowed to say anything about it just yet.  Let's just say it involves food and ITV.
I am reading...




Call the Midwife, by Jennifer Worth
I really enjoyed the series by the BBC and thought I would like to read the book. Books are always a lot more detailed than films or television shows. I am really enjoying this book. It's fabulous and I am glad that I picked it up to read. It details the life of a young midwife in London's East End in the 1950's and is a real peek into the way of life which existed there during that time period . . . the hardship, the poverty, the sadness, the joy, etc. I highly recommend.

Still reading this.





The Last Concubine, by Lesley Downer

The Last Concubine tells the story of Sachi, who grows up as the adopted daughter of an innkeeper in a rural Japanese village, knowing nothing about her true origins. Her world changes forever when an imperial princess, on her way to marry the shogun, passes through the village and takes Sachi into her entourage. In the secluded, formal, traditional world of the women’s palace in Edo, Sachi eventually becomes the last concubine of the last shogun — but that’s just a prelude to the turbulent events she’s about to be caught up in as Japan erupts into civil war and the world Sachi has grown up in, a world that seemed immutable for hundreds, even thousands of years, changes almost overnight.

Lesley Downer has created a wonderful character through whose eyes we are able to view the upheavals in Japanese society in the 1860s: because of her complicated background, Sachi is able to move and interact with people at a variety of different social levels. She’s uncomfortable, as any Japanese woman of that era would be, with stepping outside rigidly prescribed social roles, yet recognizes that because of the unique situation she finds herself in, she often has to do so. She also falls in love, in a society which doesn’t talk about or celebrate the concept of romantic love (or even have a word for it!) in the way we do in the West, and she has to struggle to fit her emotions in with her concepts of duty and social order. She also gets to see the beginning of the rapid Westernization and industrialization of Japan following the civil war — a fascinating story in and of itself.

I have only just started this book. As you know I am very intrigued by Oriental culture. I am enjoying this very much thus far.

Still on these books, but have added another one . . .

Breaking Night, by Liz Murray
It's an autobiography written by a survivor against all odds. Murray is the daughter of drug addicts who died of Aids. They neglected her, scandalously, but loved her in their own hopelessly dysfunctional way. By the age of six she was accustomed to watching her parents shoot up (her mother was almost blind, so her father had to help her do it). She left home at 15, carrying with her a crumpled snapshot of her mother, taken at a similar age – a girl with a storm cloud of hair and an unnervingly absent stare. It is the only picture reproduced in the book – her talisman. No wonder Murray preferred the photo to the reality. I have only just begun this one.

All are on my Kindle.
It's so much easier to manage in bed than a book, and a lot easier on my wrists. (Nothing has changed. Still working on the same books!)

I am hoping...

I wish that I could tell you about what's happening this weekend, but I really can't.  I can ask you though to pray for me and to keep your fingers crossed for me.  We will be traveling all the way up to Harrogate by car on Friday, so do pray for our safety.  There's a big flower show going on there this weekend, so that should be fun!  This special secret involves cooking, so please keep your fingers crossed for me that I am spot on this weekend, and that I do well.

I am hearing...
Nothing new really.
Mitzie is snoring on the couch. The clock is ticking . . . my fingers are clicking on the keyboard. It's a pretty quiet morning actually!

Around the house...



I am really loving this bedroom look.  Our new twin beds should arrive next week.  I have gotten new bedspreads for them in a duck egg blue and pink patchwork look.  I like that look of a chandelier.  I may have to keep my eyes open for one that fits over a light bulb.  I know you can get them and they are not that expensive.  I'll take a picture of everything when it's all finished!

One of my favourite things . . .



I love my wash bag.  This is the bag I keep all of my essentials in.  It's Cath Kidston.  It's simple and not too frou frou.  I used to have a Gloria Vanderbilt one, but it wasn't large enough.  I love this one because it is a lot bigger and I can fit a lot more into it.  I also love the fabric pattern.

Something new about me ...


Source: ebay.com via Marie on Pinterest



I
had a Dorothy Hamill haircut once upon a time.  Didn't everyone?  I had to really work at mine though, because I have wavy hair and it didn't always want to co-operate.  I thought it was really cool though, no matter how hard I had to work at it!

One of my guilty pleasures ...




French Onion dip . . . you know the kind you make by stirring dry Lipton's French Onion Soup mix into sour cream.  I haven't had it in years.  You can't get the Lipton's French Onion Soup mix over here, so it remains just a happy memory for me.  Probably better that way.  At least just dreaming about it doesn't add any excess calories to my diet!!

Pet Peeves...
People who
who make promises they have no intention of keeping because they think it's what you want to hear.  I would rather people are upfront and honest.  I never promise anything unless I know it is one that I can and will keep.
 
Here is picture thought I am sharing...






(via coffeeandsweet)

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul . . . We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things.  If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." 
~13th article of faith, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints


Two years before he died, Joseph Smith, who organized our church, was asked what we believed as Latter Day Saints.  He addressed this by compiling our Articles of Faith, more of which you can see here.  These are 13 basic points of belief that Latter Day Saints subscribe to, and live their lives by.

Ever since the Articles of Faith were written, they’ve inspired and directed us in the basic principles of our gospel. They enhance our understanding of certain doctrines and help us commit to living them. They invite further thought. And they’re a good tool for explaining our beliefs to people unfamiliar with them.



As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.

~Ralph Waldo Emmerson


And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it! 




    

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Cheddar Crusted Broccoli Soup.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!