Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Simple Woman's Day Book


FOR TODAY, January 1st, 2013...

Outside My Window...

The sky is just beginning to lighten to the East . . . Yes, I am awake very late this morning, a full two hours later than I normally awaken.  Don't know what's up with that.  I know I didn't sleep that well last night.  This rotten cold is beginning to really drag me down.  It's really wearing me out.

I am thinking...
“Of all the things that exist,
we breathe and wake and turn it into song."
~Mark Nepo

Birth.  Have you ever thought about what a miracle it is that you are here on the earth at this exact time?  It's no accident.  You are here for a purpose and with great meaning and intent. In my church we believe that we have been sent to the earth in these the latter days because we were the strongest of our Heavenly Father's spirit children and this is when we were needed most to be here, reserved for a special purpose at the end times.   You may think  it is a load of codswallop . . . but I don't.   I like thinking that I am here for a purpose, with a special job to do, and a life with meaning . . . a part of a beautiful plan, with a wonderful destination.

I am thankful for...

You probably get tired of hearing this, but I am truly grateful for the Gospel in my life.  It is my anchor and my cornerstone.  It keeps me grounded and helps me to be a better me.   I wish that everyone could see and feel what I feel.   The world would be a much different place, were that true.

From the kitchen... 
Yesterday I baked a really tasty Nutella Banana Bread.  Not so pretty . . . but wow, delicious!  I also have leftover Chocolate Orange Chip Cookies.  Naughty things they are . . . really naughty!
 
I am wearing...  

A Pink long sleeved nightie.   It's warm and pink.  I like pink.   Especially in nighties.  I like pink and blue.  Call me a traditionalist.   I'd like white too . . . but I fear a white nightie might make me look like a big sail on a very large ship . . .

I am creating...  

Photobucket


 This is my latest illustration for the children's book.   He's a cat that has many talents, one of which is cooking.   Qu'elle surprise!!  I Love his little boots and his spectacles.   They match nannies!!

Source: etsy.com via Marie on Pinterest

This is a pattern I recently purchased.  I plan on making her soon and I know a little girl I think would love her . . . or maybe I will make two, because . . . well . . . I would love her too.

Source: ravelry.com via Marie on Pinterest

Loving these potholders . . . as you know I have a real thing for pot holders.  They are like cookbooks . . . you can never have TOO many!


Also really loving this YoYo Quilt.  I think it's a real masterpiece in ingenuity and beauty!

I am going... 
I have no plans to go anywhere immediately.  We are waiting to hear from my mom's surgeon as to when she will be going in for her operation.  Once we have a date then I will purchase my tickets for Canada.  I am hoping this cold is over by then, or I will have to delay my departure.  I can't fly like this, and my mom daren't be exposed.  Please pray that I can get over it soon, for my mom's sake.  Thanks!

I am reading...

My Berlin Kitchen, by Luisa Weiss.
Along the way to adulthood, I acquired one six-inch chef’s knife, a dark-green glazed cast-iron pot, and the growing realization that baking and cooking were not just a sure way to end up with a pan of warm brownies or a kitchen full of the fragrance of beef stew.  Busying myself in the kitchen was how I conjured the people and places I loved the most in the steam rising off the pots on the stove.  And when I came down with a rare and chronic illness known as perpetual homesickness, I knew the kitchen would be my remedy.

I am in love with this book. How could you not be.  It's an autobiography but with food and recipes.  I am totally smitten with it.  I do so love this type of book.


Keeping Faith, by Jodi Picoult

Somewhere between belief and doubt lies faith. For the second time in her marriage, Mariah White catches her husband with another woman and Faith, their seven year old daughter, witnesses every painful minute. In the aftermath of a sudden divorce, Mariah struggles with depression and Faith seeks solace in a new friend… a friend who may or may not be imaginary.
 
I've only just begun this book, so early days yet, but am enjoying it.  I have liked every Jodi Picoult book I have ever read, so no surprise there!

Nothing has changed here.   Really enjoying the Jodi Picoult book.  She's a master story teller!!

 I am hoping...
I am hoping that 2013 will be kind to each of us.

I am hearing... 
My new year play list. I put it together yesterday.  I couldn't find my old one so I made a new one, with a few of the old favourites and a few additions.  I quite like piano music and cutesie songs.  I hope you enjoy it too.

Around the house...

Source: google.com via Marie on Pinterest


I love this.  I think it would make a fabulous curtain in my kitchen window.   Delightful!  I am looking for a beaded curtain now.  We used to have one.  I wonder if it is still in the shed?

Source: google.com via Marie on Pinterest

I would give anything to have one of these on our back and front doors.  I think it would be a real novelty over here.  There is no such thing . . . but just imagining how nice it would be in the summertime . . . makes me smile.   I love the sound of the creak that they make as you open them . . . and the snap when they close.   Memories . . .


What a fabulous idea for a small alcove.  The perfect little library.  I've always wanted a Window Seat.  Window seats are like magic things.  You grab a book, sit down and you are transported into another world . . . just like on a magic flying carpet . . . cept it's a window seat.


One of my favourite things . . .  


Gingham, any way shape or form.  I love Red the most, followed by Blue.  If I could I would have this sofa.  I have always loved gingham.   I watch Leave It to Beaver and I drool over June's kitchen curtains.   Gingham . . . and I am pretty sure they were red!  At least they are in MY mind.  ☺


Something new about me ...


I would love to have a pair of wings.  If I had a pair of wings . . . I would never take them off.  Seriously.
OK, so I would have to take them off to go to Bed, but other than that . . . I would NEVER take them off.   OK . . . so I probably wouldn't wear them to church either.  Call me weird.  Call me strange.   I think wings are magical and I want a pair all to myself.

One of my guilty pleasures ...



I love the Back Street Boys.  I could listen to them 24/7.   It drives Todd up the wall.  He does NOT love boy bands, but then boys never do love boy bands do they?  I think they're jealous.

Pet Peeves...    




Queue jumpers.  Yes, it does happen.  There are still people that butt in front of other people in queues.   It annoys me when it happens, but I have never had enough courage to say anything.  I doubt I ever would.

Things that make me wonder...


Duh??  Can that EVER be comfortable???

Here is picture thought I am sharing...





"The spiritual life is all about becoming more at home in your own skin."
~Parker J Palmer

Be happy in your own skin.  Be happy with who you are.   A pale substitute for someone else will always be just a pale substitute.  Celebrate who YOU are.  You are unique and beautiful in a myriad of ways.  How can that ever be a bad thing???

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"Touch bleeds the heart of it's pressure."

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it! 


 Photobucket 

There's a very tasty Vegetable Casserole over in The English Kitchen today  . . . and a great Giveaway for those of you in the UK!

Happy First day of 2013!  May it be magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!