Friday 12 July 2013

A trip to the farm . . .

 photo p1010420_zps5ae144d4.jpg


Well . . . we changed our plans yesterday and ended up somewhere completely different than we had said we were going to go.  It was such a lovely day that we really wanted to make the most of it.   There had been a place just outside of Chester that we had wanted to go to all last summer, but it  was such a miserable and wet summer we just never got there.   Yesterday we decided since it was so beautiful and sunny we would take the opportunity to go and see it while we could.   The Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre & Country Park.  It was an easy drive, not too far away,  and just the perfect place to spend a sunny summer's day!   What a beautiful area of Cheshire it was!

 photo SAM_7189_zps43771257.jpg

There is quite a large collection of fowl on the farm . . . ducks, geese, doves, swans, pheasant, quail and lots of beautiful chickens and roosters.  I have a thing for chickens actually, and roosters too.  I think they can be lovely birds and have their own personalities.

  photo SAM_7192_zps66fa3260.jpg

For the most part the birds were all wandering freely about.  In fact you could also buy free range eggs at a pretty decent price.  I had planned on getting some when we went in, on our way out, but . . . I actually forgot!  Boo me.

There were lots of other animals too . . . pigs of all sizes and bunnies and baby chicks too.   I didn't like the way the pigs were kept though.   After having visited Jimmy's farm two years ago and seeing how wonderfully kept those ones were, the sight of these ones yesterday in their tiny little pens just made me really sad.  Todd said, and quite rightly, that that is the way most pigs are kept . . . and sometimes even worse . . . but I preferred Jimmy's method.  Nevermind . . . we moved on.

 photo SAM_7201_zpsfa7bbd86.jpg

The scenery was quite stunning and it was a pleasant walk around the farm.  It wasn't too busy this time of year but I could well foresee that in the summer school break it would be filled with visitors as it is quite child friendly.

 photo SAM_7205_zps7a2c7a46.jpg

I saw my first ever Pole Cats.   I had never seen one before.   When I was growing up my mother used to say sometimes . . . "You smell like a Pole Cat!"  Not to me per se, but  it was an expression of hers.   I always thought Pole Cats must smell really bad.   There was no smell to these ones at all and they were very friendly, and quite pretty.

 photo SAM_7209_zps39c9a647.jpg

There were also Otters.  This one was sunning itself.    I would have loved to see them at play in the water, but perhaps it was too hot for them.  I have fond memories of watching Otter films on The Magical World of Disney when I was a child, and really would have liked to see some action here . . .  oh well, you don't always get what you wish for!

 photo SAM_7213_zps697230fb.jpg

This was the first magnificent shire horse we saw.  They all have names, and of course I did not write any of them down.   Bad me.   I was just fascinated by their size and beauty.  The Shire Horse is a breed of draught horse. (draft horse)The breed comes in many colours, including black, bay and grey. They are a tall breed, with mares standing 16 hands (64 inches, 163 cm) and over and stallions standing 17 hands (68 inches, 173 cm) and over, with an enormous capacity for weight pulling.  Shires have held the world records for both largest overall horse and tallest horse at various times. Throughout its history, the breed has been popular for pulling brewery wagons delivering ale to customers. This practice continues today, with the breed also being used for forestry, leisure and promotional pursuits.

I just thought they were beautiful.

  photo SAM_7224_zps8567c919.jpg

There was plenty of these about and it appeared that someone's job for the day was digging them out as there was a man with a tractor doing just that.  I expect these would not be nice for horses to eat and so they must have to work hard to keep these under control, although for the life of me I could not imagine any creature wanting to eat one of these prickly things, but they were quite fun to take pictures of . . .

 photo SAM_7225_zps22d50933.jpg

Which I did in spades . . . of course!  But, I also took pictures of . . .

  photo SAM_7227_zps49efaae5.jpg

The lake . . . man-made I suspect, but still beautiful . . .


 photo SAM_7232_zpsb7949b45.jpg

A fascinating old oak tree trunk . . .  I wonder what stories this could tell us . . . I think our hair might possibly curl!  This is on the Welsh borders after all . . .

 photo SAM_7234_zpsa768f053.jpg

Late blooming elderflower . . .

  photo SAM_7236_zps6be8584e.jpg

A barn owl eating his lunch . . . spooky what?   Could we be next?

 photo SAM_7229_zps892cefd6.jpg

A wood pecker pecking . . . grass???

 photo SAM_7241_zpsf25296fa.jpg

The great Bald Headed old Coot Toddster!!

  photo SAM_7239_zps328dfb0c.jpg

I know . . . I am cheeky.  I just couldn't help myself.  I promise to behave now . . . consider me told.

 photo SAM_7242_zps7d5b73b4.jpg

Todd really does enjoy days like this when we can get out and about together.  My knees were behaving very well yesterday so that was good.   I think he's a great poser and so very photogenic.

 photo SAM_72441_zps4b62e1a8.jpg

Queen Anne's lace in profusion . . .

  photo SAM_7245_zps660a9c28.jpg

The clearest, bluest sky you have ever seen . . . except for the jet streams.  I think we must have been close to the Manchester airport . . .

 photo SAM_7247_zps0ce344e1.jpg

Wild buttercups and grasses . . . so pretty . . .

  photo SAM_7251_zps238ebe2d.jpg

Curious Colts . . .

 photo SAM_7256_zps07fa46ec.jpg

The guys around the water cooler . . .

  photo SAM_7263_zps8e7ace40.jpg

A truly magnificent Stag relaxing in the shade . . .

 photo SAM_72651_zps07e2d474.jpg

More elderflower . . . and yes, I'm getting all artsy-fartsy here.  I can't help myself.  It's the artist in me which just has to get out . . .


 photo SAM_7266_zps778ce531.jpg

Tender moments . . .

 photo SAM_7267_zps90884564.jpg

You meet all kinds in these sorts of places don't you?


 photo SAM_7270_zpsb5cf5308.jpg

This was just the most beautiful colt.  His tail was all curly . . .

 photo SAM_7276_zpsa68a5de1.jpg

You could see clearly that he will one day be a beautiful majestic animal . . .

 photo SAM_7280_zpsb731cc7b.jpg

I was quite taken with his beauty . . . really, truly.

It is hard to spend a day in such splendor and not see the fingers of God, not feel His presence.  It was all around us.

 photo 26-717-538-0-0-717-538_zps0594d758.jpg

After all of that walking around in the hot sunshine we were both a bit thirsty and feeling a bit peckish.  There was a cafe in the Shire park . . . but we fancied something a bit more salubrious and  so we stopped in at the pub right next to the park . . .

 photo 38-717-538-0-0-717-538_zps760a2383.jpg

We munched on Pork and Apple Baps looking out over gorgeousness . . . it was just fabulous and very reasonably priced too.   The Baps came with salad and fries and were not much more than the cost of a Big Mac at the Golden Arches . . .  and . . .

  photo 41-807-538-0-0-807-538_zpsa338d8a2.jpg 

Rumor has it that we aren't the only royalty which has been here . . .  just sayin' is all . . . pardon me for name picture dropping . . .

It was all in all a very good day which we both enjoyed with all of our hearts.   Such days spent in the company of your best friend and the great love of your life are worth their weight in gold I think . . . worth their weight in gold.

“Aim high, but do not aim so high that you totally miss the target. What really matters is that he will love you, that he will respect you, that he will honor you, that he will be absolutely true to you, that he will give you the freedom of expression and let you fly in the development of your own talents. He is not going to be perfect, but if he is kind and thoughtful, if he knows how to work and earn a living, if he is honest and full of faith, the chances are you will not go wrong, that you will be immensely happy.” 
~Gordon B Hinckley

 photo SAM_7288_zpsc290c479.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Nectarine Salad with a Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
Deliciously cool!

Have a great Friday!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!