Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Simple Woman's Daybook

 photo smallsimplewomanicon_zpsac834e67.jpg

 FOR TODAY July 2nd, 2013

Outside my window...
It is overcast, gloomy and cool this morning.  I don't mind cool nights.  I just want warm days!

I am thinking...


. photo 38d5c234ea9f32aec597ad54793eedb6_zpsdcd77f28.jpg

Todd and I both love the Lord with all of our hearts.   We live our lives by His precepts and teachings. I know what it is like to live life "unevenly yolked" with your partner, and I much prefer the companionship and joy that comes from being on the "Same" page as the one you love.   Any relationship prior to this was only a shadow of what it could have been.  Sometimes that makes me sad . . .

I am thankful...
I am thankful that there is no cake in the kitchen right now.   No cake means I am not eating cake.  I don't need to eat cake. 

In the kitchen...



In The English Kitchen today . . . Courgette and Tomato Gratin.   Yes it is monster of the garden season!  Yayy!  (I love zuchinni!)



.I am wearing...
Nothing new here! Yep, in my jim jams!

I am creating...
As you know, I have been taking a small water color course these past few weeks.   Here is some of the stuff I have done since I began it . . .

 photo copyrightstrength_zps0a12090d.jpg



This is one I did the other afternoon.   I rather like it . . .

 photo copyrightHowIdoLoveThee_zps0339902a.jpg

This is a piece I did yesterday afternoon.   I had no idea that you could ink pieces first and then paint them!  Something new I learned!  (And no I don't have the words backwards . . . it's supposed to say how I DO  love thee!)

I am going...
I am going to the Dentist tomorrow afternoon and having a molar pulled.  Not looking forward to the experience.   I am always terrified of the Dentist.  It has been like that for a long time, ever since I can remember.   Maybe I had a bad experience when I was small that I can't remember, I don't know!  Do YOU like the Dentist???  I want to know if I am alone in this irrational fear.  I wonder what it is like to be a Dentist and know you are nobody's favourite person to visit??

I am wondering...
I sometimes wonder why people will say they don't believe something, or like something/somebody without ever having seen, read, tasted, touched it.   Take the Book of Mormon for instance.   Lots of people will say they don't believe the Book of Mormon . . . but they have never, ever even read it, or prayed about it, etc.   That's like seeing peas and saying you don't like them without ever tasting them.

I am reading...




The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson
 As teenagers Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe were the only witnesses to a tragic event. Amid heated public debate, the two seemingly glamorous teens were dubbed ‘The Ice Cream Girls’ by the press and were dealt with by the courts.

Years later, having led very different lives, Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what really happened, while married mother-of-two Serena wants no one in her present to find out about her past. But some secrets will not stay buried – and if theirs is revealed, everything will become a living hell all over again . . . 


Almost finished this one and beginning this one.

 photo caef752ddef92e9e13d5ac297331bcc4_zpsef0bb543.jpg

The Secrets of Pistoulet, by Janna Kolben
I picked this book up on the recommendation of a friend.  (Thanks Monique!!)  It's a quirky and cute book about a French Farmhouse known as Pistoulet.  It's pure magic. The Secrets of Pistoulet tells the gentle tale of the healing power of magical soups and foods, while celebrating the redemptive and sustaining nature of shared meals among friends and family. With fold-out letters, removable recipe cards and pockets, and special vellum pages. Apparently there is a sequel, The Legend of the Villa Della Luna, by the same author.

I am hoping...
I hope that there are no complications from my tooth removal tomorrow.   A few years ago a friend of mine ended up with a dry socket and was in tremendous pain . . . I had never known such a thing could happen before that.   Now it is on my list of fears . . . 

I am looking forward to...
The missionary sisters are coming for tea tonight.  I am looking forward to spending time with them!  I am making open face Tuna Burgers, potato salad, coleslaw and strawberry shortcake for dessert!

  photo 9820eb5f1e329fd2344c31b40b35a773_zps2a61ee85.jpg


I am learning...
That the more I think I know . . . the more I have to learn!

Around the house...

 photo 816414ff7040976f0f966a4896d26d95_zpsf05c1d62.jpg
(source)
  
Our dining room table sits directly in front of the window like this.   It is pleasant to sit there and look into the garden when you are eating your early morning toast . . .

 photo 1706b113c6a8fe26c48928347087b478_zps549b72c2.jpg
(source)

The garden is loaded with lots of lovely wild daisies at the moment.  I am going to pick a bunch for a tabletop bouquet prior to teatime tonight . . . I think they will add a lovely fresh touch . . . 


 photo 8e1f5af6ce82b9977079da081ee8fb44_zps58d16271.jpg
(source)

And yes . . . today I WILL cut some lavender to dry and stick into our linen drawer, so that I can have sheets that smell like lavender . . . and some to make lavender sugar so that I can make lavender shortbreads, etc.

I am pondering...
I can hear a bunch of crows outside "cawing."   I wonder what they are talking about . . .

A favorite quote for today...
“Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
~Winston Churchill

One of my favorite things...
 photo f5e7180728723734f3c99822747077ab_zps2529bba3.jpg

I love ironing bedding after it has come in off the clothesline.  It smells so nice.  I could stand there and do it for hours and hours . . .  it's one of my favourite smells of all, right up there with the smell of homemade bread and the air from the sea . . .

A few plans for the rest of the week:
The Dentist tomorrow and then on Saturday we are having the Missionary Elders over to supper and then there is a Baptism on Saturday evening which we will be going to.

A peek into my day...

 photo 1a4658e50a23353568f006c0a0af7ea1_zpsc8f62279.jpg 

With any luck I will get the  opportunity to play with my sewing machine today!  If only for a short.  I have everything basted together on the baby blanket . . . just needing to machine quilt it now.

A thought to carry with you through today:

"Your life is up to you.  Life provides the canvas.  You do the painting."
~unknown

Have a wonderful Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!