Monday 30 September 2013

Small and Wonderful things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo BruceandBaxer_zps9108eb7c.jpg

This is my baby Bruce and his baby Baxter.  I know he doesn't like being called the baby (Bruce), but he'll always be my baby.   On Friday he completed in an  Adventure Challenge with a team from work.  They ran 5K, biked some 46-50k., jogged/walked through the woods for I don't know how long, canoed across a lake, rappelled down a rock face, did some target shooting, and I don't know what all else.  The whole thing took his team about six hours to complete.   Not sure how quick or long that was in comparison to the other teams, but they did it and I am proud of him!  His father was always very athletic and I'm glad to see that he is too.   Rather he be that than a couch potato like me.  

 photo BruceandMaryn2013_zpse5a69eae.jpg  

He's also the kiddo's favourite Uncle.   I love seeing him with his nieces and nephews.  He is going to be a super dad some day.    He's already a super dad to Baxter.  

 photo CheekyMarynSept2013_zps2142c765.jpg  

Just look at this cheeky little girl!  Yep, that's Maryn!   Does she ever look like her mom in this picture.  Amanda has that same cheeky smile!  I love it.  Pictures like this make my heart sing.  

  photo SAM_0923_zpsbf8d9652.jpg  

Cute little dolls all finished.  There was a lot of handsewing involved with this project.

 photo SAM_0926_zps68d4542d.jpg  

Actually the whole thing is hand sewn, from top to toe, and all the outfits too.   I was going to give it to Maryn for Christmas this year, but . . . 

 photo SAM_0927_zps81b75570.jpg  

I think she is a little bit difficult to remove and replace the clothes on . . . so will save this for a later date.  In the meantime I am making her a rabbit, with a coat, hat and carrot in it's pocket.  I think this will be a lot easier for little three year old hands to handle.  

I like a bit of handsewing in the evening.  It helps me to feel productive.  

  photo 1377110_10151616187507217_1498209328_n_zps0691a51c.jpg  

Church leaders that care enough about the women of my church to dedicate a whole evening to them each year during the annual Relief Society General Conference.  

“Wherever we are in life, there are times when all of us have challenges and struggles. Although they are different for each, they are common to all.”

President Monson told us that there will be times we will walk a path strewn with thorns and marked by struggle.

 “There may be times when you feel detached — even isolated —from the Giver of every good gift. You worry that you walk alone. Fear replaces faith.

“When you find yourself in such circumstances, I plead with you to remember prayer.”
God’s children were not placed on this earth to walk alone, said President Monson. “What an amazing source of power, of strength and of comfort is available to each of us. He who knows us better than we know ourselves, he who sees the larger picture and who knows the end from the beginning, has assured us that he will be there for us to provide help if we but ask."

President Monson lost his wife of more than 64 years in May of this last year.

"Men take care not to make women weep, for God counts their tears."
~President Thomas S Monson  

I am grateful for the guidance and inspiration of this wonderful man and the other men who lead us by his side.

 photo SAM_0814_zpsef1ae5a8.jpg

Sunny autumn days and walks along the river with the man I love.  Who could ask for anything more . . .

My days are abundantly strewn with small blessings and blessings large.  It is a priviledge to wake up each morning and greet the day, and to be able to appreciate and embrace whatever each day brings to my life's table.  Good or bad.  Happy or sad.  It is what it is and I am indeed grateful for each experience.  

 photo heartleaf_zpse7530a78.jpg

A thought to carry with you through today . . .


.✿´´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
The best kind of friend
is the one you could sit on a porch with,
never saying a word,
and walk away feeling like
that was the best conversation you've had.
¸.✿´´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.  



 photo SAM_0859_zps108aaadd.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today Braised Beef Brisket with Carrots.   Delish! 

May you have a day strewn with small and wonderful pebbles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!