Monday 7 October 2013

Small and Wonderful Things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo copyrightoakofunderstanding_zps62e7f665.jpg

I love General Conference and was blessed this weekend to have been fed spiritually for 8 hours!   (wow, that's like a full time job! lol)   In any case I am often inspired to do a piece of artwork afterwards and this is the piece I did yesterday afternoon based on President Uchtdorf's talk .  She has planted an acorn and is growing an oak. What do you think?

 photo 67a4cef043c052ad88503221e8fe18f3_zpseaeae736.jpg

I have been very thankful for cough syrup this weekend.  I couldn't take any last night because I have a fasting blood test this morning, and I can tell you I hardly slept all night because I kept coughing.  I doubt Todd slept much either.  Poor Todd.   It costs a bomb though . . . cough syrup.  I found this recipe online to make your own here on the Deeproots At Home page, and I am going to give it a go.   Elderberries are ripe for picking now!   They didn't use fancy schmancy medicines in the olden days.   They used home remedies.   Sometimes I think we'd be better off if we stuck to them for most minor things like colds and such.  Of course I am grateful for the modern medicines we have for more serious ailments!

   photo SAM_0988_zps626b5df6.jpg

Can you see her?   There in the background.   Mitize is my baking partner!  I don't know what I would do without her actually!  She is my constant companion when I do anything in the kitchen.  Hoping for me to drop something I expect.   She's such a great companion and so transparent!  I harbour no illusions.  I know she is there for the hope of a dropped crumb, and not for my company!  I saw a little witch hat at Aldi the other day.  I just may pick one up for our little trick or treater!

 photo e486509032de41814ee6e5c945dba1d3_zpscfedb3f6.jpg

Yayy!   I have candy corn!   I actually managed to get some this year!  My mind is all abuzz with what I can do with it.   I tried eating some out of hand.  It's very sweet.  I can't think of how anyone could enjoy eating it that way!   But it does make a fab baking decoration tool!  

   photo bff9da8a48f7a558dbb1be36ae9fc9f4_zps5cc75b43.jpg

I found a page, Love From the Oven, that has a round up of overy Fifty Different Ways to use it, or make something which resembles it!  Those crispie treats are calling my name, but then again . . . I'm hungry.  Nothing to eat or drink today, except water until I get back from the Docs.  Sigh . . .

 photo d5317e7d5b8bef36779ba4dd21aa2655_zpsd6025250.jpg

Scarecrows.  I love scarecrows.  I think I fell in love with my first one when I saw the film, The Wizard of Oz, when I was a young girl.  Don't you just think this is the sweetest one?   I do.   I wonder what would happen if we made one and stuck it in our front garden this year.  I am    betting it would be nicked before the night was through . . . I would love to make one though.   We shall see.   I know I could make one and put it in the back garden, but . . . what fun would that be having to put it where nobody could see it.   Sigh . . .

  photo 93e80ac5f06ea658cd205818590bc97c_zpsc6f380e5.jpg

We are having a fairly dry autumn for a change.  We've had a bit of rain, but not much altogether, which makes for a change!  Although, I have to say I was not impressed with the slug I found slithering across my kitchen floor the other day!  UGH!  I went to pick it up and then realized what it was.   Todd had to come and rescue me.   I was horrified!

 photo 960162_362660323875313_1186541567_n_zpsffc922c1.jpg

I've been really poor at commenting lately on the blogs that I read regularly.   I am sorry for that.  I know how happy it makes me when someone comments, and I really need to do better myself when it comes to leaving comments when I visit someone else.   I do enjoy the reading and I need to show my appreciation.  I promise to do better this week.

 photo 540151_526125180789145_247678901_n_zps177fcb38.jpg
(Painting by Thomas Kincaid)

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

ღ¸╭•⊰✿¸.•*ღ

Blessed are those who see beautiful things in humble places 
where other people see nothing. 
~ Unknown

 photo SAM_0539_zps118c786e.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin with a Green Olive and Lemon Sauce.   This is fabulously delicious!


Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!