Thursday 17 October 2013

Thursday musings . . .

  photo save_zps140afba3.jpg

When all is gathered in and our storage shed is all put to order, apples wrapped, onions hung and all that can be frozen or preserved is sorted. When the garden is put to bed properly . . . it's time to crack open the bird feeders and suet cages.  We buy our first bag of wild bird seed, one of peanuts and a third of niger seed along with chunks of creamy suet.  I sometimes make my own suet balls and squares if I have been fortuitous enough to have saved my bacon fat all summer.  This summer we either didn't eat much bacon or I wasn't thinking ahead.  There is no bacon fat saved.

We do feed the birds all year round, but it is at this time of year they get the really good stuff . . . in the summer months it is just scraps from the table, stale bread and cake ends and biscuit crumbs . . . that sort of thing.  I know they must appreciate the change because they arrive in ever increasing numbers now.   First up is usually the starlings, and whilst I often find them annoying, I appreciate that they need to eat too . . .

 photo save2_zps497be193.jpg

It has been a long time since I have heard a flock of wild geese fly over head heading for southern climes.   Ours pretty much stay here year round and others arrive here to winter during these months, so it is not a common sight.  I can remember how very moving it was as a girl to watch them flying overhead through the grey autumn sky . . . that quivering black "V," slightly undulating . . . and the noise . . . and the silence that followed their passing . . .

High and lovely they wedged through the sky, their faint cries drifting to earth.  For ever a brief moment we flew too, born upon their wings of mystery.   Wonder at the length of their journey and the almost supernatural knowledge they have that it must be done and now . . . how many fail to make the whole journey, falling behind the others and being left behind . . . how high do they fly, is it higher than other birds?  How do they know . . . all of these questions follow in their wake, the great mystery of instinct, a God-given gift I think . . . precious and true. 

 photo Copyrightwordstoliveby_zpse287b883.jpg

I got inspired and flew up to my craft room late in the afternoon yesterday.  This is what came out.  I do so love it when I am creating.    It is when I am the happiest, and it doesn't matter if it is a cake I am creating or a little painting, tis all the same.  It all makes me happy.   

I'm sorry if I haven't been able to visit as often as I wanted to so far this week.  I have been dealing with neck issues.   My neck has been very sore and I have had to have a wheat bag on it a lot.   I don't know why I get this.   Too much time on the computer with it bent at a certain angle.  It's annoying to say the least . . . Do any of you get this?  What do you do for it?

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
As I stumble through this life,
help me to create more laughter than tears.

ღϠ₡ღ
Never let me become so indifferent,
that I will fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a
child.

ღϠ₡ღ
Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer
people,
make them forget, at least momentarily,
the unpleasantness in their lives.

ღϠ₡ღ
and in my final moment, may I hear You whisper:
"When you made My people smile, you made Me
smile."

~unknown

 photo image004_zps67edebb1.jpg  

We're creating several  lovely desserts using Ginger Curd in The English Kitchen today!

Have a wonderful Thursday!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!