Wednesday 6 November 2013

Wednesday thoughts . . .


  photo 1379404_419350444831474_96988156_n_zps7e823fc8.jpg

 I have a very busy day ahead of me today.   As tonight is our Additional Meeting for the ladies at church I am going to have to go over to the chapel later on and set up for this evening.  I also have a presentation to put together (bad me for having left it so long) and a dish to cook up to bring along!   I am also expecting a big delivery today to do with the food blog, so all in all that adds up to a pretty busy day altogether.  Whew!  I got tired just reading that!  ☺

I have been meaning to tell you all what I saw and heard the other evening.  I can't remember what night it was but it was pretty much at dusk as the skies were just beginning to fade.  We had been out somewhere and had just arrived back home and were in the process of closing the big gate behind the car and going into the house when I heard a familiar sound.

I thought to myself, that sounds like ducks or geese.   I looked up at the roof to see if there was a herd of ducks on the roof.  Nothing there, and then . . . my eyes began to scan the sky and there it was . . . the unmistakable V formation of a group of geese flying South for the Winter, their honks echoing through the air as they made their way across the darkening night sky . . . their wings beating together in unison.

I cannot tell you how it felt in my heart as I saw this.   I had not seen anything like this since I was back in Canada . . . and I was a child once more, watching them move through the sky over my head . . . in pure and utter amazement . . .

 photo 1395887_372219249586087_766441245_n_zps3c3efafd.jpg

It amazed me for several reasons . . . one . . .  that these creatures undertake such a gruelling and difficult journey each autumn, flying hundreds or thousands of miles to warmer climes.  Keeping up with each other, instinctively knowing that they have to do it and where they have to go.  I have read that when the lead goose tires, he drops back in the V and the next in line takes his place, and so on, each one bearing the burden of leadership in turn . . .  so that they can make it to their destination under strong leadership. Anyone who falls away will surely be left back.  Two . . .  that our Heavenly Father who created all that surrounds us and in His infinite knowledge and wisdom, built this instinct into the magnificent creatures I saw flying overhead . . . how can someone not witness something like this, and in pondering all of it's intricacies not be totally and utterly amazed.

And then as I read back my words this morning I am struck by how much of an allegory for life this is.  We, too, are on a journey from the minute we are born.   We have come here to become the best that we can become,  and are also on a magnificent journey.  A journey which will lead us back to our Heavenly Father.  There is only one direction for us to go in order to get there, and as we move forward through that sky called life, the strongest of us leads the rest of us in the right path and direction . . . and  . . . only when they tire and need to fall back, another moves forward to take their place.

 photo 50492bfba1757f5375268c5f44777f33_zps54e5c50d.jpg


The goal is that nobody should be left behind, and as people who know . . . it is our responsibility to make sure that we do all we can so that this doesn't happen.  To gather in all of our Heavenly Father's children that we can and point them in the right direction and then lead them . . . to our ultimate destination.  Oh, it is up to each of us to beat our wings and to keep moving forward, but the strongest of us have a responsibility to succour and strengthen, love . . . and carry those who need our help the most.  It is a privilege, honor and blessing.  I also believe that it is a journey we undertake through instinct.  Inside each of us is a spiritual core that has a deep need to know who we are, where we came from, why we are here and where we are going . . . our purpose for being.  It longs to be fed and nourished.  Oh, I know there will be some of you who disagree, and that is your choice to do so.  That is the beauty of the Gospel . . . there is no coercion . . .

Anyways, just wanted to share and now I must be about my day or I won't be ready for tonight!

A thought to carry with you through the day . . .

"Happiness does not depend on outward things,
but on the way we see them."
~Leo Tolstoy

 photo SAM_1746_zps10d5318e.jpg

A little bit of decadence in The English Kitchen today . . . just for fun, a Grilled Pancetta, Mac and Cheese Sarnie!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!